Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-24-2008, 02:54 PM   #1

How do I punch in the radio code?

Hey all, I am new to this forum and would really appreciate it if anyone could help me through this...I bought a Boxter S 02 without the radio manual. I recently had to change the battery and the radio is just dark. I do have the radio code but do not know how to punch that in...or where to punch the code in.
Thanks!

roxyfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 03:07 PM   #2

Not sure if your '02 is the same but on my '99 you type in the 4 numbers and hit the arrow up button on the right side.
Regards,
mike
derb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 03:26 PM   #3

mine is a cdr 220

hey derb,
thanks much for the reply-pretty sure i have a different radio, mine is a cdr 220 with no up button...
Old 02-24-2008, 04:00 PM   #4

I downloaded the CDR-220 radio manual from renntech.org and see that all you need to do is enter the 4 numbers. After the fourth the radio should work. No need to push anything else.

Last edited by derb; 02-24-2008 at 04:01 PM. Reason: typo
derb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 04:30 PM   #5

Thanks...

Derb,
Thanks so much for the tip...I downloaded the manual as well. My issue at this point is that the radio will not turn on at all-it is just "dead". I am going to check the fuse box...hopefuly that will solve this. Thanks again for helping me out on this really appreciate it.
Old 02-25-2008, 12:32 PM   #6

Fuse box diagram

Anyone know where I can find the fuse diagram for an 02 Boxter s? I bought mine used, it is not in the fuse box or the back cover. Is there a PDF anywhere on the internet??? I called a couple of dealers and I will give yall three guesses as to what they said..."bring it on down sir"....
Of course I would but do not want to pay the $100-$200!
Thanks in advance to anyone that can help!
Old 02-25-2008, 02:51 PM   #7

Garage
Did the radio work before you changed the battery? Did you hit "ON" button above the volume turn knob? Is the LED in the top center of the radio blinking?

'06 Cayman 'S' - Sold (Sport Chrono, PASM, TPMS, 19' CAS Wheels, NAV)
'06 Cayenne - Sold
'01 Boxster 'S' - Sold
'00 Boxster - Sold
tboyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 05:10 PM   #8

need fuse diagram

Hi,
Yes it did work before I changed the battery, I have tried the on button, and the LED is not flashing. I did some research today and thought the radio fuse is on D8...tried changing out both fuses on what could be D8 (the second row from the top and the fourth row from the top). Neither of those looked blown-I did change them out to no luck. Perhaps the radio fuse is not D8?
Not sure what to try next...
Thanks much-it is really cool absolute strangers help absolute strangers on this forum!
Old 02-25-2008, 05:58 PM   #9

E1 is the Radio fuse (7.5A). D9 is the Amplifier fuse (15A), D8 is option code 680 upgraded Digital Sound Pkg. Radio and Sound system (7.5A) - if your car has this.

Also, disconnect the battery and reconnect.

Finally, pull the faceplate of the radio and clean the contacts on the radio and faceplate with a q-tip and alcohol - that's what it most likely is. The Faceplate communicates all the control functions (buttons) to the Head Unit electronically through the contacts on each. These get dirty, corrode, etc. Most of the issues with these radios are caused by these contacts being corroded, dirty, or out of alignment.

If you don't know how to pull the Faceplate, go here: http://www.beckerautosound.com/pdf_guides/om43-4462.pdf
1999 Porsche Boxster
(gone, but not forgotten)
http://i933.photobucket.com/albums/a...smiley-003.gif

Never drive faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!

Last edited by Lil bastard; 02-25-2008 at 10:15 PM.
Lil bastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 02:12 PM   #10

If the fuses in the fuse panel are ok there is also a fuse in the back of the radio. If you slide the radio out and turn it around it is obvious where it is. It is only 7.5 or 10 amps depending on the radio. If the radio is not powering up at all this is probably your problem.

Techbones is offline   Reply With Quote