Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2008, 06:23 PM   #1

champagne dreams on a beer budget

Can anyone suggest some type of progression of rebuilding a boxster suspension.
I recently got new tires and the mechanic stated the "tie rods" were bad. My ole 98 has 106,500 and runs strong. I now want to make her ride smooth, but everything I see is quite pricey. Do I track? no, Do I drive like a crazy sports car driver? no...ok sometimes. I am looking for a nice smooth sunday rider. I figured with the mileage, the whole suspension probably needs an overhaul. Any thoughts would be great, even if they are go out and buy bilsteins!!!

60drvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 06:30 PM   #2

I think I have a set of OEM tie rods floating around my garage somewhere, if I have them they are yours for $50 plus shipping.

Growing up the car magazines said how amazing Porsches are. Was I brainwashed? Somehow...I doubt it.

http://www.pcars.us/albums/10641_porsche_cars.jpg
Gary in BR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 02:49 PM   #3

Yes, at 100K miles, I would expect shocks, bushings and any other suspension wear items to need to be replaced. While parts can be expensive, the real issue is can you afford to do the work yourself?

It may mean borrowing, renting or buying some tools. The dealers, and independants, make the bulk of their money on LABOR. Around me, the going rate is approx $100/hour. So, in the 8hrs or so it may take them to refresh your suspension, realize that about $800-1000 of that will be a labor charge. If you can "DIY" it, that is where the money can be saved. (That said, don't overlook the opportunity cost of DIYing. If you earn $30/hour be sure to charge yourself for the time and effort it takes you to do the job -which likely will take longer than a pro and could leave you without transport until finished). You may realize that the true out of pocket expense for your work is more than you think and a shop (a "good shop" could be worth the expense).

Also, realize your "1998 100k mile car" was once a $40-50K car. Repair costs can be staggering (thank you Porsche )

I tend to be of the "cry a lot once" than "cry a little, very often" when it comes to maintanence and upgrades. Do it right th first time.

The problem of a "progression" rebuild is the need to "redo" things. Replace one component, then another, and when you replace the second one, you may have to redo all the work you did in replacing the first component. Your suspension components all need to work together to be effective. Replacing them all at the same time is more efficient.
1970 914 w/2056 (sold)
racer_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 03:37 PM   #4

Good stuff. I have done all my own work, and I have the time to let the car sit over night if I can't do the job in the typical "2 hours"! I will probably do it all at once, the other question I had is wheel bearings? Since I am already guttin' the suspension, should that be included in the mix?
Old 02-29-2008, 07:19 PM   #5

Smile

if anyone is interested, I got outer tie rods, new sway brace arms, and sway brace bushings. Should be in any day now, plus go some clear side marker lights to boot. I love those tax returns!!! Once I get all my hardware installed and a nice alignment (got new Kumhos Ecsta's a month or so ago) I will picture and post my results! Can not wait till spring!
Old 03-04-2008, 09:22 PM   #6
HB.

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer_d
Around me, the going rate is approx $100/hour.

I don't know what part of VA you are in, but if you are remotely close to central VA, you should check out Delta V Motorsports www.deltavmotorsports.com and talk with Jeff. Their labor rate is $85 an hour, and they do some great work for us Boxster owners. Every little penny savings helps out.

HB. is offline   Reply With Quote