Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2008, 09:14 AM   #1

Fog Machine?!? Oil smoke from tailpipe

I was driving fairly quickly through town and turned on my road to go home when I the boxster started smoking suddenly from the tailpipe and I don't mean just a little smoke. It looked like a special effects type fog machine but when I let up on the throttle a little the smoke all but stops. There is some oil residue in the tailpipe but I took the air filter out and the airbox is dry. Anyone have an idea what might have happened? The car still idles good, runs and accelerates good but it was squealing like a belt squeal at low rpm after driving it about a mile.
Help!

johnny rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 10:20 AM   #2

Garage
Sounds like your air oil separator (AOS) write-up here

'06 Cayman 'S' - Sold (Sport Chrono, PASM, TPMS, 19' CAS Wheels, NAV)
'06 Cayenne - Sold
'01 Boxster 'S' - Sold
'00 Boxster - Sold
tboyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 11:21 AM   #3

thanks alot! I did try removing the oil filler cap right after running it to see if there was water in the oil and I had to use channel locks to get it loose because of the vacuum I guess. The picture looks very much like my 98 looks with the smoke and the smoke appeared after a hard right corner so the oil probably did slosh up into the pickup. I'll let you know how this all turns out ASAP. great advice!
johnny rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 11:05 AM   #4

Thumbs up smoking boxster

Hi,
I am new to this forum and it has helped so much.
I have a 2001 boxster s fantastic car, but it developed a problem i.e. smoking all of a suden no lack of power no noise worried or what!
but after searching on this forum I got the answer it was air oil seperator and east to fix cars running great now part cost £57.00
sound like you have the same problem.

Thank you all Stevie Somerset England

stevie9110 is offline   Reply With Quote