Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-16-2008, 12:29 PM   #1

rattling noise from right rear

hey guys,

i'm new. can anyone help me? i have a 02 boxster but i occasionally hear this rattling metallic noise from the rear. i think its more pronounced on the right side. it doesn't really coincide with any particular RPM or speed. but it's very annoying and it just makes the car sound bad! i hate it!!! again, it's not all the time though. i have read that it could from the heat shield, which i have tightened in the past, but it came back. could it be anything else? should i just try to retighten those bolts again. i am just afraid of overtightening and breaking the plate. does anyone have any pics of the heat shield so that i know that i am tightening the right bolts? i also read that it could be the cat heat shield. are these easily accessible to tighten too? thanks. sorry, not a true mechanic, but a wannabee.

thanks for any advice.

tuanle16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 02:04 PM   #2

Might be the rear track arms, try searching the forums.

HTH.
tracke30m3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 02:13 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracke30m3
Might be the rear track arms, try searching the forums.

HTH.

Yup, that's what mine was. I had the rattle on both rear sides but it was worse on the passenger side. For me it could be heard going between 5-30mph driving over rough pavement, like road joints and potholes.
shaman1204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 03:03 PM   #4

Send a message via MSN to CJ_Boxster
Same here, Rear Track arms AND front track arms were due.

Carlos J Cazares

FastForward Performance
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a1...er/newsig1.jpg
CJ_Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 09:35 AM   #5

thanks for everyone's advise, but i am hesitant to think that it's the track arms. the reason why is...it doesn't happen only at low speeds. and it never happens over bumps. it so hard to explain and very frustrating. any other thoughts? thanks. it seems to happen when i'm accelerating. as soon as press the clutch or let off on the gas, it goes away...but comes back later.
tuanle16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 06:28 AM   #6

rattling noise from rear

Hello there!

As an owner of a 987 Boxster I have at the moment the same rattling metallic noise. It sounds real frightening. It begins after a couple of minutes when I have the engine started and the oil getting more fluid. After about 1100 RPM the engine goes silent. I took off the valve cover at the right hand side of the engine. Everything appears to be O.K. i.e. chains, sprockets and lifters etc. The intermediateshaft and its bearings seems to be O.K. as well. So, it must be the chain tensioner I hope because it was a bit sticky when I tried to push the tensioner in.
By the end of this week I'll get a new chain tensioner. As soon as I have this fitted I'll let you know if the noise disappearde.
As anyone can shed more light on thistype of rattling, please let me know.

Bas.
b. gerrits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 07:23 AM   #7

Garage
see articel below

i'm heard it on my 06 as well, just over 2000rpm as the engine is warming up, identified in europe already as issue

http://forums.roadfly.com/forums/porsche/porsche_boxster/7957556-1.html

at least its not an IMS...
litteng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 02:11 AM   #8

rattling noise from rear

Rick, thank you very much for your reaction! Very interesting stuff to read!

It is most likely that the noise is a defunct oil pressure valve. Still, the noise is at it most - and heavy - at the bottom of the crankcase. The oilpump is at the top. But it is certainly not a big end or one of the main bearings.
In the mean time I renewed the chaintensioner but to no avail. The noise is still there. I phoned the Porsche importers and they want the car at their workshop to investigate the noise. So, I'll bring the car to them to be sure. At least they should know by now about the possibility of a defunct OPV.

with regards,
Bas Boxster
Old 11-14-2008, 09:50 AM   #9

Garage
pins and needles

b.gerrits; so what was the outcome of your visit to "der mann" ?
Old 11-15-2008, 04:33 AM   #10

Hello Litteng and other folks,

Sorry. I quoted the wrong name last time. Not Rick but it was Litteng who send the message through.
Well, yesterday I got the answer from Porsche Holland. It is a faullty bearing of the, well, ahum, Intermediate Shaft...... Seems the problems with this shaft are not yet over. Remeber, it is a 987. Sound footage and photos are send to Stuttgart (the engine is currently out of the car) for examination by Porsche.
As soon as I know more I'll let know. Guess by the end of next week.

Bas Boxster.
Old 12-03-2008, 01:51 AM   #11

Hello folks,

The visit to the Porsche importers was very succesful. Their diagnosis, in co-operation with Porsche Stuttgart, was: Intermediate shaft bearing failure. All went well and the car is on the road again.
No complaints what so ever regarding Porsches guarantee scheme. Great!

Bas Boxster.
Old 12-03-2008, 06:31 AM   #12

Garage
dealer conversation

i called the closest dealer 600km away, and explained the engine rattle noise during warmup while driving, he was aware of the bulletin regarding the oil pressure valve,

it has been noted but who knows what will be done, we have winter and the car is parked till spring now.

we also talked about the IMS. and he was adamant that an IMS failure happens without warning...

so b.gerrits do you have a copy of the sound file which was sent to porsche regarding your IMS?, it would be great to hear what was detected...

glad that its all better now

03-r1100s, 11-f800st, 09-987.2, Norton Commando
auf adlers fluegeln getragen
Old 12-04-2008, 01:47 AM   #13

rattlingnoise from right rear

Litteng,

Unfortunately they did not copy the sound footage. One thing was for sure: it was definitely not the oilpump valve. Porsche Holland knows exactly how that sounds, I was told. Bad luck that live so far away from an authorised Porsche dealer.

Bas Boxster.