Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-07-2008, 08:16 AM   #1

Tires - Max performance upgrade for Pirelli Dragon

Hi, I recently bought a '98 Boxster (ROW M030 sport suspension) that came with Pirelli Dragon tires on 17" Porsche wheels. I haven't been able to find out much about these tires but they don't seem to be one of Pirelli's max performance tires. Does anyone have experience with these tires??

I am thinking of replacing the Dragons with the Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 or Bridgestone RE050A Pole Position. The key objectives are to improve the crispness and precision of the steering (which are a bit vague now) as well as overall dry grip without much compromise on wet grip. Any comments with how these tires compare in similar cars (M030 suspension, 17" wheels) would be appreciated. Based on reviews on Tire Rack and comments here, I get the impression that the PS2 has the edge in terms of steering feel, turn-in crispness and dry grip, while the RE050A Pole Position has the edge in wet grip. It isn't clear how material these differences are (the Bridgestone is cheaper?).

I have experience with the "grandparents" of the PS2 and RE050A Pole Position. I used to have the Pilot SX MXX3 on a BMW and really enjoyed it (great steering feel, grip and progressive handling at/near the limit, both in the dry and wet). I had the S-02 in a 964 C4 - that car cornered on rails and the steering was incredibly precise (quite different from my Boxster which has good grip but the steering is lighter, less precise and less communicative) but the suspension was much stiffer than my BMW's.

Any comments on the PS2 vs RE050A Pole Position would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

- Jay

Last edited by Jay S; 01-07-2008 at 08:39 AM.
Jay S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 01:13 PM   #2
Track rat

Garage
Both are excellent all around tires. I have PS2's and one of my Auto-X buddies has the Stones. I do not see much difference wet, dry or ride quality between cars.
Old 01-07-2008, 04:15 PM   #3

When Consumer Reports did tire tests

and rated the 2 tires in 9 categories, there were 8 categories the same and the Michelin PS2 scored higher only because of rolling resistance which gave better mileage. Scores were a class leading 85 for the PS2 and 77 for the PPs. The cost difference was about 25% in favor of the Bridgestones.
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 06:03 PM   #4

Though I have not driven on the RE050A, I simply love the Pilot Sport PS2s, they are an amazing street tire. and to quote Randall from this thread: Which tyre is best?
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandallNeighbour
I have PS2's on my car now and unless I am flat broke, I'm going to keep putting them on my boxster. Excellent traction in all sorts of weather...

Orlando - 99 BMW M Coupe (autocross toy), '11 Mazdaspeed 3 (dog hauler), '99 10AE Miata (the new daily driver)
kabel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 11:34 PM   #5

I switched from the OEM Pirellis to Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3 and they're great. Similar feel as the Pirellis but with way better life. They're great on wet pavement as well. There's anew version that's an all season tire but I don't know much about it. The risks with my tires is that they won't work on snow at all and freezing temps will harden the rubber too much and they'll lose traction. The all-season version has a different tread pattern to handle any snow you might encounter (driving in mountains?) and I assume the compound doesn't freeze as much as mine. That probably isn't as much an issue for you in Hong Kong, though.
CA_Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 04:45 AM   #6

Thanks! I'm checking on prices of the PS2 and RE050A PP. Deciding factor may be price if the difference is substantial, though all things being equal I do have somewhat of a preference for the PS2 based on long and favorable experience with the MXX3 SX. Either way, I'm sure it will be a substantial improvement over the Pirelli Dragon.
Old 02-27-2008, 02:30 PM   #7

I HATE my Pirellis in the wet.
After reading the tirerack review, etc I am going with the Goodyears as they have the superior wet traction. I have Toyo T1-Rs on our other car and have read they have similar wet traction, which will be a HUGE upgrade over the Pirellis.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/surveyresults/surveydisplay.jsp?type=MP

my $0.02
eVoMotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 05:29 AM   #8

Question please post

Hey. I need some help. I'm tire shopping because I just got my first car (2000 boxster) and I'm looking right now at some Mich. Pilots. But, I'm questioning if they're the right one's to buy..... Are they?
986=myfirstcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 06:51 AM   #9

Are you saying that your first car ever is a 986?

Tires all depends...what type of driving do you do, budget, climate, and which PilotSports...read the Tirerack survey above to get an idea what they think.

I would have bought a set of the MPS02s if I did not drive in the rain (topless of course) on a regular basis.

Congrats on the car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 986=myfirstcar
Hey. I need some help. I'm tire shopping because I just got my first car (2000 boxster) and I'm looking right now at some Mich. Pilots. But, I'm questioning if they're the right one's to buy..... Are they?

Last edited by eVoMotion; 02-29-2008 at 06:59 AM.
eVoMotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 08:58 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by eVoMotion
Are you saying that your first car ever is a 986?
Congrats on the car.
Yeah, that would be something...
That's a good question if the Boxster was your first car... what would be your last?

G
gstoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 10:35 AM   #11

A much better tyre than the RE-050's are the RE-01R's.

I fitted them to mine about 4 months ago and they have been superb!!!!
Chippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 12:11 AM   #12

Whoa wait a minute there Chippy. The RE01R may be a great dry grip tire but as an all-rounder I don't htink its that great.
renzop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 01:03 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by renzop
Whoa wait a minute there Chippy. The RE01R may be a great dry grip tire but as an all-rounder I don't htink its that great.
its better than you might think in the rain. just nothing in snow/sleet or heck, anything near freezing.

if this is your ONLY car, then get a M&S rated tire. while not as good as an all out summer tire, you'll be glad you did when its starts to get nasty out.

my other two cars are AWD, w/ M&S tires, so the Box gets summer only tires.
Benny986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 04:11 AM   #14

I really did not have a choice

My selection of tires was limited do to time constraints. I was leaving to Houston from Dallas; when I went out to the car, realized that one of the rear PS2 had a bulge on the sidewall of the tire. Since This was a used car, did not know where the previous owner bougt the tires.

So off to Discount tire to see what they had. the tires were PS2 285/30 ZR18. Very nice tires. All the store had in stock was a set of falken Anzenis ST 115 in a 265/35 ZR18. So on they went. I miss the lower profile and wider tire of the PS2 285/30 ZE18 but these seem nice. I will have to keep you all informed of how the falken tires hold up over time.
robsven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 06:58 AM   #15
JPW

I replaced my 17" PS2 with the RE050A PP about 1000 miles ago. I have no regret in doing so. The Bridgestones perform just as well as the PS ever did, if not better.

The dry handling is quick and responsive, and in wet conditions, the road grip just feels better than the PS2's. Additionaly, it seems they are quieter than the Michelins were.

I chose to replace all tires with the Pole Positions, when I noticed that one of my front PS2 had developed a buldge in the side wall - I was only needing the rears at this point. And speaking of wear, my feeling is these are going to wear much better than the PS2 did.

JPW
JPW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 10:36 AM   #16

Beware

comparing the used up tires you just took off with the brand new tires you just put on. An unfair comparison as the tread hardness will be different new to old as well as the tread evenness and the tread depth.

The only fair test is new to new or old to old.

And pray tell how in the heck can you tell how your new tires will wear compared to the old?

Sounds to me a lot like justifying the wisdom of your purchase...in economics it is called the halo effect...it's good because I choose it.

mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote