Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-27-2007, 11:01 PM   #1

Send a message via AIM to djomlas
fire extinguisher

is there anything else out there other than the expencive BK mount?
fire extinguisher is something that id like to add like in newer models on the passinger side, and they are cheap, but anyone have any ideas on the mount?
i know that its supposed to be within a reach of hand and that its supposed to be able to be opened with one hand...
any ideas?
all suggestions are welcomed
DJ

exhaust cutouts::EVOcoldair intake::OEM smoked tails & sidemarkers::

colormatched bumperettes::Top Speed Pro-1 exhaust::
my cardomain/pictures page
djomlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 02:48 AM   #2

By the time you notice a fire in your car, you might as well get out the marshmellows and crackers.

Instead of an extinguisher, I would put extra gas to throw on it so that the insurance company can't try to make me drive a heavily damaged fire victim.
nola911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 07:52 AM   #3

Hey dj,
I saw one in Excellence magazine the other night at my brother-in-law's house, not sure if it was a BK mount. Although, if it's in Excellence magazine, it is most likely expensive as well. I just remember it had a single clip that resembled one of the buckles of a ski boot. But that's not very helpful for you. I will have to see if I can find the advertisement.

Actually, I bought a fire extinguisher last summer, but haven't mounted it either.

Let us know what you come up with or maybe one of the other folks out there have fabricated and / or mounted one that might be helpful.
dcporsche99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 07:55 AM   #4

DJ, I use this one and bought my Extinguisher from Summit Racing. It comes with a quick release mounting bracket. I even removed the label and painted the center of it Seal Gray to match my car. It looks better than all that chrome.
http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=AMX%2DA620TC&N=700+115&autoview=sku

Last edited by porsche986spyder; 12-28-2007 at 08:02 AM.
porsche986spyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 09:29 AM   #5
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
You can probably make one yourself. I have thought about doing it with a metal plate mounted in front of the passenger seat on the two metal brackets I think the racing seat belt is supposed to attach too. Then you can just use any fire extinguisher bracket you want to mount it to the plate.
Not sure if that makes sense, but I think you get the idea.
Old 12-28-2007, 10:00 AM   #6
FTD

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxferran
Instead of an extinguisher, I would put extra gas to throw on it so that the insurance company can't try to make me drive a heavily damaged fire victim.
I completely agree! Maybe its required for a track event. But if I did have a fire, I would do NOTHING to extinguish it.
FTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 11:06 AM   #7

porsche986spyder,
do you have a pic of this mounted in your car man? i also saw a much smaller slimmer version of that, i think on ebay or something, that i really liked, but im not sure where/how to mount it.

FTD,
what the hell, what do you mean you wouldn't want to put it out?
in my old car some wire for loose and grounded itself and i got a fire under the hood, thank god there was a fire extinguisher at hand and i put it out before it had a chance to burn anything else.
just had to replace that one wire...why would you let your car burn down is beyond me, or you may not like/enjoy your car enough

Old 12-28-2007, 11:09 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by djomlas
porsche986spyder,
do you have a pic of this mounted in your car man? i also saw a much smaller slimmer version of that, i think on ebay or something, that i really liked, but im not sure where/how to mount it.
I don't have any pics of it, but I will take some this weekend.
Old 12-28-2007, 11:37 AM   #9

I've had my eye on this mount from Automotion . It mounts in front of either seat.
SRQ Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 12:22 PM   #10

I know the BK mount is expensive, but it is nice. Allows full movement of the seat. Doesn't really get in the way when entering the vehicle.

http://www.bkauto.com/porsche/r2020.php

I think this is the quick release someone spoke about earlier: http://www.bkauto.com/porsche/r9520.php

It always amazes me how people are willing to skimp out when it comes to safety related items. Spend thousands of dollars on rims/tire/body kits but spend a $127 for an FE mount and people look at you like you are an idiot

Of course, if you have mad skillz, then fab one up!
1970 914 w/2056 (sold)
racer_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 12:29 PM   #11

I remember when I installed one in my first car, my ex-girl friend asked if my car was going to catch fire while we were driving it. She was always scared to go anyplace with me. Kind of funny how people react when they see a fire extinguisher in your car. Even after you tell them it's just for safety reasons they just don't get it.
Old 12-28-2007, 12:39 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer_d
It always amazes me how people are willing to skimp out when it comes to safety related items. Spend thousands of dollars on rims/tire/body kits but spend a $127 for an FE mount and people look at you like you are an idiot

Of course, if you have mad skillz, then fab one up!
im not saying im skipping on safety stuff, hence the extinguisher.
i was just wondering if there is a mount that is cheaper than what is on their site.
i mean mount is a mount...ut if nothing else i will get that one.

Old 12-31-2007, 06:22 AM   #13
FTD

Quote:
Originally Posted by djomlas
FTD,
what the hell, what do you mean you wouldn't want to put it out?
in my old car some wire for loose and grounded itself and i got a fire under the hood, thank god there was a fire extinguisher at hand and i put it out before it had a chance to burn anything else.
just had to replace that one wire...why would you let your car burn down is beyond me, or you may not like/enjoy your car enough
If it was a small do-nothing fire that I could put out without much calamity, like a little something in the front boot, I would put it out. But anything coming from the engine - I would rather my insurance bought me a new car than deal with bits and pieces of burned parts and extinguisher fluid crud, and contention over what should have been replaced and wasn't, and over time discovering yet another thing that was damaged but not noticed, etc., etc.
FTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 06:01 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTD
If it was a small do-nothing fire that I could put out without much calamity, like a little something in the front boot, I would put it out. But anything coming from the engine - I would rather my insurance bought me a new car than deal with bits and pieces of burned parts and extinguisher fluid crud, and contention over what should have been replaced and wasn't, and over time discovering yet another thing that was damaged but not noticed, etc., etc.
Yeah, but some of us have so many mods to the car that the insurance company is sure to come up short no matter how "generous" they might feel.

I've got the BK-2030 mount with a 2.5 Halon bottle on the front of the passenger seat, bolted to the anti-sub belt bar on the bottom of the seat (don't know if it will work with stock seats). I use the quick release straps that came with the extinguisher (Pegasus, $125 or something) and they work just fine.

Make sure the fire bottle is big enough for the task. Smaller than 2.5 lbs of Halon is minimum for any real fire, and the Halon replacements (Halotron and friends) need to have about twice as much to be equally effective, so a 5 lb bottle of those.
efahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 10:15 PM   #15

I forgot about this thread and just saw it pop back up.

Regarding an engine bay fire, by the time you raise the top to the service position, take out the storage box, and open the cover, your car is either gone or the fire is out. In my case, I hope it is gone. Yeah, I love my car, but after having two totaled vehicles, I like starting over with a wad of cash even better.

Also, I have never had to argue about prices of mods, so I would like to see it burn if its is a large fire.

If it is a small fire, I will take my shirt off and smother it.
nola911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 08:22 PM   #16

I can understand FTD's point of view. The engine is what's most likely to have a fire and by the time you detect it you may just want to let it burn! This actually happened to someone I know who will go nameless here. His 911 started to burn and by the time he had smoke pouring out of the vents it was pretty bad. He let it burn a bit before extinguishing it just to make sure it was gone. Sometimes it's really better to total the car than to try and repair it. This guy now drives a nice 911TT. I'm not sure it's really insurance fraud if you hesitate to interceed and mitigate any damage, but obviously this is a bit of a moral dilema still.

With the Boxster an engine fire would be even tougher as there's no good way to get access to the engine, ESPECIALLY if the car is on FIRE!!! Still I'm in the market for an extinguisher too. I've got one mounted in my crappy Honda, why not my Porsche then? If nothing else you might want to help someone else with a fire in their car!
Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 03:30 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk
The engine is what's most likely to have a fire and by the time you detect it you may just want to let it burn!
Hmm, I would wager that more than half of the car fires in newish vehicles are a result if shoddy aftermarket sound system installations and occur inside the dash.

efahl is offline   Reply With Quote