Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-20-2007, 01:01 PM   #1

To wrap or not to wrap...that is the question.

So before I add my new headers to my box, I was contemplating wrapping my new headers with some of the header tape or thermal wrap as its called. Anyone think this is a waste of time and money or does it actually help any at all? I know the headers heat up quite allot and I am also wandering if they could do more harm than good? You know like catch fire!?

porsche986spyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 01:29 PM   #2

Hey spyder,
From my header install experience, I had to partially wrap my passenger side header out of necessity more than anything else----it helped with some of the vibration / resonance that I was experiencing. I still have some, but overall it has helped tremendously. It is a pain to wrap them when they're already installed, so if you do decide to do it, it would definitely save you some time to wrap them while they aren't on the car.

Enjoy!
dcporsche99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 02:16 PM   #3

Are these the headers you got off of ebay for around $100? If so, keep us posted on how this goes. I for one am very interested.
shaman1204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 02:25 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaman1204
Are these the headers you got off of ebay for around $100? If so, keep us posted on how this goes. I for one am very interested.
Yes they are.
porsche986spyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 03:01 PM   #5

I am interested in any info on wrapping headers. Anything to improve the Boxster I am ready for.

If anyone has tested this let us know.

Growing up the car magazines said how amazing Porsches are. Was I brainwashed? Somehow...I doubt it.

http://www.pcars.us/albums/10641_porsche_cars.jpg
Gary in BR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 05:56 PM   #6

Answer me this question, Why would you want to change the headers on the boxster? What are you looking for? It sounds beautiful with the stock set up. Is it horsepower? If yes, then save you're money and buy a carrera. Otherwise go for cosmetics because the boxster isn't a car that's going to win race from the green light regardless of what you do.

Last edited by Couper1; 12-20-2007 at 05:58 PM.
Couper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 08:52 PM   #7
HB.

I can only give my experience wrapping headers on my old Integra. I'm sure the results would be somewhat similar with the boxster headers. I did conduct before and after temp tests with and without the thermal wrap, and there was a slight difference in temperature output. The only somewhat downside is, after you wrap your headers, don't even bother taking it off if you plan on selling them or to showcase them because that nice stainless steel look will be long forgotten. I didn't have a opportunity to do any type of dyno test to see if the wrap helped produce any power gains.
HB. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 03:40 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Couper1
Is it horsepower? If yes, then save you're money and buy a carrera. Otherwise go for cosmetics because the boxster isn't a car that's going to win race from the green light regardless of what you do.
WTF? What does this have to do with header wrap? Why would anyone buy one of those rear-engined pigs when you can hot rod a nice mid-engined car with a stronger motor and have good handling and rocketship acceleration?

Back on topic...

If the headers are stainless, then I would say yes go ahead and wrap them. If they are mild steel, then I would say definitely do not wrap them. The header wrap that we've used on turbo cars (let me see if I can find any pix... Ok, here's some that my brother did on his daughter's car: http://www.not2fast.com/vw/cabby/cab2003/) is porous and will hold road dirt (including salts and other corrosive crap), which will eat mild steel in a heartbeat. If you are concerned with getting rid of heat, it's great stuff and can keep various nearby bits hundreds of degrees cooler.
efahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 09:06 AM   #9

Hey efahl,
Nice pics of the VW! :dance: I'm sure your brother's daughter has fun in that car!
dcporsche99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 10:05 AM   #10

Quote:
Is it horsepower? If yes, then save you're money and buy a carrera.

Headers do make a noticeable difference. If fact, with the upgrades on my car a stock Carrera would have a hard time keeping up with me on the track. I removed the headers I had on the car in anticipation of selling it and it was very noticeable the change from headers to no headers. Especially throttle response and top end pull.
ROW M030 Suspension
Front & Rear Strut Braces
B&M Short Shift & EVO Billet Linkage
steve00s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 03:14 PM   #11

You should do a thread search on this topic, because I distinctly remember reading a good one about it. In a nutshell, some really experienced guys on the board said that wrapping headers often move the heat downline to the cats and overheats them, doing damage.

I had a hose (can't remember if it was an AC hose or a power steering hose right now) that was touching my driver's side aftermarket header and the mechanic wrapped that hose (not the header) and zip tied it away so it didn't touch.

I would not throw caution to the wind and wrap them if you have no urgent need to do it. Ruining your cats would be a very high $$$$$$ consequence.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 04:34 PM   #12

Rear engine pigs? That's what people who can't afford them say. Heh heh. I own one of each. I love my Boxster very much. As much as my Carrera....maybe more. Sorry but the Boxster does not have rocket ship acceleration......Dude.

Quote:
Originally Posted by efahl
WTF? What does this have to do with header wrap? Why would anyone buy one of those rear-engined pigs when you can hot rod a nice mid-engined car with a stronger motor and have good handling and rocketship acceleration?

Back on topic...

If the headers are stainless, then I would say yes go ahead and wrap them. If they are mild steel, then I would say definitely do not wrap them. The header wrap that we've used on turbo cars (let me see if I can find any pix... Ok, here's some that my brother did on his daughter's car: http://www.not2fast.com/vw/cabby/cab2003/) is porous and will hold road dirt (including salts and other corrosive crap), which will eat mild steel in a heartbeat. If you are concerned with getting rid of heat, it's great stuff and can keep various nearby bits hundreds of degrees cooler.
Couper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2007, 02:20 PM   #13

Quote:
Rear engine pigs? That's what people who can't afford them say. Heh heh. I own one of each. I love my Boxster very much. As much as my Carrera....maybe more. Sorry but the Boxster does not have rocket ship acceleration......Dude.

Too funny

thomschoon is offline   Reply With Quote