Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-30-2007, 12:50 PM   #1

Send a message via MSN to CJ_Boxster
Voltage dips when windows roll up and headlights turn on

Is there anything i can do to stop the voltage to dip when my windows roll up or when my headlights turn on, Everytime i roll up the windows or turn on my headlights, my radio cuts out for a few seconds... Just like how your radio cuts out when your starter is cranking the engine.

Does this happen to anyone else?
Whats spec's should my battery be? cold cranking amps and all that good stuff?
Would a voltage stabilizer from delubozparts cure that problem assuming my battery isnt the problem?

Carlos J Cazares

FastForward Performance
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a1...er/newsig1.jpg
CJ_Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 01:22 PM   #2
EE3racing

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ_Boxster
Is there anything i can do to stop the voltage to dip when my windows roll up or when my headlights turn on, Everytime i roll up the windows or turn on my headlights, my radio cuts out for a few seconds... Just like how your radio cuts out when your starter is cranking the engine.

Does this happen to anyone else?
Whats spec's should my battery be? cold cranking amps and all that good stuff?
Would a voltage stabilizer from delubozparts cure that problem assuming my battery isnt the problem?

Have you checked the battery? Maybe it's on the way out, I'd check every cell.
Old 11-30-2007, 02:04 PM   #3

I havent checked it but i noticed its got a small "Interstate" green battery and im worried that whoever installed that, didnt get the correct battery. How do i check every cell in the battery?

Im thinking of taking it to AutoZone cause when i worked there, we had this large machine that would roll outside and hook up to the battery and as the car is running it'll test the battery and alternator by putting a drain on the power and seeing how soon or well the alternator and battery respond to it.

Carlos J Cazares

FastForward Performance
Old 11-30-2007, 02:21 PM   #4

Ok well here is some data i got from the AutoZone help desk

A 1997 Boxster should have either an H6 or 48 Battery with a minimum of 600 Cold Cranking Amps

I went downstairs and looked at my battery and i have a Duralast (not interstate like i thought) type 48-D with 875 Cranking Amps and 700 Cold Cranking Amps so i have the right type... Autozone said they cant run the test i like cause they run a risk of electric shock today cause the rain. So ill do that another day.

Carlos J Cazares

FastForward Performance
Old 11-30-2007, 02:52 PM   #5
EE3racing

You check your cells with an acid meter. A little squeeze bulb with an acid meter which measures the acidity of each cell. Right on the meter it tells you how many floating balls equals the acid level of each cell. It may look like the battery is sealed, but if you investigate further, most are not. If the acid is below any of the plates in the cell, there is a great chance the battery is toast. I have seen many a battery with four of six cells great, it only takes one bad one to screw up the battery.

PS Meter = about 5 bucks at any auto store, good luck.