Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-25-2007, 08:27 AM   #1

Ignition switch - audi part

I had all of the likely suspects that previous threads had indicated on my 2000 S. Hard to turn, etc. and recently when pulling my key out nothing happened (still thinks the key is in and difficult to reinsert the key) or a very delayed reaction. Replaced the 4A0-905-849-B part and nothing has changed. I've noticed that the click (steering lock?) has a very delayed response. Perhaps I need a complete switch assembly?

sepia2.4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 08:35 AM   #2

Hello. I am having the same problem. I dont think the ignition switch is the issue. My key wont turn unless I force it and I think I am about to get stranded somewhere if I dont fix it ASAP. My steering wheel lock works intermittantly. I am confused as to what part should be replaced. Let me know if you get any responses. I will do the same. Thanks in advance.
rpeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 02:46 PM   #3

Hi guys:

I have a 2003 boxster s. I recently had a similar problem. Intermittently my steering column would not lock when removing my key. I also did not hear a click when removing the key when it would happen. I didn't have a problem until I had the ignition swith replaced due to low amperage. I was told to replace it when my stereo head unit and part of my climate control electrical system failed. Apparently the two are tied together electronically.

I took the car back to the garage and they could not reproduce the problem since it occurs so infrequently. They injected carbon into the key slot to remove any moisture. Since then it has not been an issue and my key slides more effortlessly. Hope it helps and good luck.

Custom pioneer system
Full window tint
RennTech black aluminum floor mats
Clear front wheel well lenses
SCCA member
boxster or briefs is offline   Reply With Quote