986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Performance and Technical Chat (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/)
-   -   Power Steering Leak Located (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/14313-power-steering-leak-located.html)

CJ_Boxster 11-22-2007 04:10 PM

Power Steering Leak Located

Ok i found the source of my slow power steering fluid leak, Attached is a picture of the joint where the leak is coming from. How do i fix this, is there an O-ring inside that i can replace? I already tried to tighten the joint but it was already tight and i can see that the space between the nut and the line that goes in moves alot and that whatever sealed it inside was gone or worn so there is play at the area specified in red in the picture.

If its O-rings, what size?

wanna986 11-22-2007 06:14 PM

Please tell me where that's located on the car.
I believe I've got a leak too...

CJ_Boxster 11-22-2007 10:05 PM

drivers side, under the car, between the engine and passenger seat area below the car.

wvicary 11-23-2007 03:09 AM

Never seen one of those fittings apart before..... I would just open it up and see what type of seals in there.

tholyoak 11-23-2007 04:55 AM

There is supposed to be play in that fitting if it is installed correctly. There is are o-rings that seal the fitting.

Todd

CJ_Boxster 11-23-2007 08:48 PM

Thanks tholyoak, Theres ALOT of play with that fitting, So much that the collar will touch the nut bolt and move away about 4 centimeters. I guess if you certain there are o-rings, Ill buy a set of o-rings and try to replace them myself.

blinkwatt 11-23-2007 09:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CJ_Boxster
Thanks tholyoak, Theres ALOT of play with that fitting, So much that the collar will touch the nut bolt and move away about 4 centimeters. I guess if you certain there are o-rings, Ill buy a set of o-rings and try to replace them myself.

If you go that route won't the power steering fluid need to be drained first? Is there a power steering fluid routine like there is when you change the coolant?

tholyoak 11-24-2007 05:02 AM

CJ

There should be ~1mm of axial play in the joint. There is a metal cage inside that secures the fitting, sounds like it may be missing. I take this joint apart all the time when doing engine swaps and have never had an issue with it. Yes the PS fluid will drain out upon disconnection, so just make sure you have some pentosin on hand.

Todd

CJ_Boxster 11-24-2007 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blinkwatt
If you go that route won't the power steering fluid need to be drained first? Is there a power steering fluid routine like there is when you change the coolant?

Yeah I should leak but its not a pressure line or else I'd gush ps fluid llike a Mofo if it wasnt a return line.

tholyoak 11-24-2007 09:52 AM

The smaller diameter line you point to in your pic is the pressure line, the larger diameter line is the return line.

Todd

CJ_Boxster 11-24-2007 08:06 PM

Ahh your right, that explains why the hose is large and is part metal near the rear track arm.

wanna986 04-02-2008 08:31 PM

Was this ever resolved?
How did you fix it?