Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-15-2007, 04:40 PM   #1

Smile Throttle body help please!

I'm trying to clean my throttle body, but I've run into some problems getting the throttle body off:
1) I can't seem to reach the bottom 2 allen wrench bolts (of 4) holding the throttle body on. I can get the top 2 off easily.
2) I tried to take off the other end of the black plastic tube which connects the throttle body to the air filter assembly so that I would have more room to work with around the throttle body (potentially making access to the bottom 2 bolts easier), but I can't get the hose clamp off that side. The hose clamp screw on the air filter side is different from the one on the throttle body side--any ideas on how to take this one off?
3) Since I couldn't get the throttle body off because of the 2 items above, I tried to put the tube back onto the throttle body, but was unable to do so--it just won't go back on well enough to be held on with the hose clamp. I've tried to lubricate it a bit with some wd-40. Any ideas on what I can do to get the hose back on?
Thanks very much!
Linda

lindalinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 04:54 PM   #2
bmussatti

Linda, read through this old post, and the link inside to a post at renntech. It may help/assist you.

In the future, when you get everything up and running again, use the Chevron fuel cleaner with Techron. It is a black bottle and comes in treatments for 12 and 20 gallons of fuel. At least once a year would be good.

Post some pics of your Boxster soon!

http://www.986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12714&highlight=throttle+body+cleaning
Old 11-15-2007, 04:57 PM   #3
bmussatti

Linda, this one too:

http://www.986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12732&highlight=clean+throttle+body

The "search" button here is very powerful!!
Old 11-15-2007, 06:14 PM   #4

You're trying to clean your throttle body?? You go girl!!

I think I've only "seen" my engine twice in the 5 years that I've owned it. I give you credit. I leave that stuff to my Porsche dealer.

Sorry I can't help but I wish you luck.
Couper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2007, 11:04 AM   #5

Wink Stubborn Plastic Hoses

I have recently cleaned my throttle body but unless you have done a vast mileage or not used fuel injector cleaner it is a waste of time as there is very little build up of carbon or muck. The clamp on the wheel house air inlet hose on my S was only mild steel and of a bolt up design. Unlike all the other tube clamps which are stainless steel. Mine was rusted and letting air leak. I broke it off and put a worm drive clamp on. No air leak and I now have a smooth and even idle once more.
The trick with the stubborn plastic hoses is to gently warm them with a hairdrier, they then pop on and off with ease. Some others have suggested lubricating them but this can lead to them popping off at a later date. Hope this helps.
Gerry
gerryg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2007, 12:51 PM   #6

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by lindalinda
I'm trying to clean my throttle body, but I've run into some problems getting the throttle body off:
1) I can't seem to reach the bottom 2 allen wrench bolts (of 4) holding the throttle body on. I can get the top 2 off easily.
2) I tried to take off the other end of the black plastic tube which connects the throttle body to the air filter assembly so that I would have more room to work with around the throttle body (potentially making access to the bottom 2 bolts easier), but I can't get the hose clamp off that side. The hose clamp screw on the air filter side is different from the one on the throttle body side--any ideas on how to take this one off?
3) Since I couldn't get the throttle body off because of the 2 items above, I tried to put the tube back onto the throttle body, but was unable to do so- -it just won't go back on well enough to be held on with the hose clamp. I've tried to lubricate it a bit with some wd-40. Any ideas on what I can do to get the hose back on?
Thanks very much!
Linda
The lower clamp is loosened, not removed, same with the top clamp, just loosen them both. Remove the tube 1st (thottle body end removed first, straight up and out), afterwards you will have easier access to the lower driver-side bolts. Remove the lower driver-side bolt first, then you should be able to rotate the entire throttle body towards the driver's side door exposing the final lower bolt. Careful removing the accel. cable, the clamps that hold it to the throttle body are easily broken. Upon reassembly, I wrapped this connection in electical tape, couldn't hurt.

I used a screwdriver to remove the air tube from the throttle body, wedge under and up. I used a bar of soap on the outside of the throttle body and inside of the air tube to reassemble. I tried WD-40 to reassemble, did not work. The air tube WILL NOT pop off after lubricating it, the interior ring in the air tube snaps around the throttle body, a little soap is no match to that setup

Awesome to see a lady digging in, great job!

'06 Cayman 'S' - Sold (Sport Chrono, PASM, TPMS, 19' CAS Wheels, NAV)
'06 Cayenne - Sold
'01 Boxster 'S' - Sold
'00 Boxster - Sold

Last edited by tboyer; 12-23-2007 at 03:49 PM.
tboyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 05:48 AM   #7
FTD

Very cool, Linda, that you are taking this on.

FTD is offline   Reply With Quote