Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-24-2007, 03:03 PM   #1

Exhaust upgrade and options

I bought a 02 boxster S about 3 months ago, that already came with several upgrades (Carrera S wheels, PSS9 coilsovers, reprogrammed ECU etc).
Right now, I absolutely love the car, performance and looks-wise, and I get a huge grin every time I drive it.

If I was to change something, it would the sound. I absolutely love the sound it gives at full throttle, but I would like a meatier sound in the low RPMs. After searching for a while, I think I have the following options:
a) PSE exhaust - I guess it's the safest bet, because I won't be getting any error lights, it's tested, it's probably a quality product coming from the manufacturer, it probably won't be too loud when I cruise on the highway. Cons: price

b) Aftermarket exhaust - Some of them are quality products, others aren't. Some of them give error lights, some don't. Some give the right note, some sound like crap. So it's a gamble when it comes to picking one, and I'm not sure.
Suggestions needed.

c) Desnorkeling. Not sure I understand this right, but I have noticed my car sounds awesome at high RPMs, but very mild at low RPMs. In my understanding, at full throttle some kind of valves open to give this sound, and desnorkeling just keeps these valves permanently open?
Would that be enough to get a sound upgrade, or it's not advisable?

What kind of change in the sound should I expect from an air filter change, or cold air filter upgrade, and is it advisable to do it, or keep it stock?

Does the fact that my ECU is tuned make any difference in the choice of exhaust/filter?

What do people mean by 'resonance' that I so often hear about in exhaust related threads?

The most impressive sound I've heard on a boxster is in this link (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SjNXH0gKCg4) but Im not sure what the guy has changed to get this sound. Also, the fact he can switch between normal and sports mode makes me think it's a Sports Chrono equipped 987, even though the part of the car visible on the video appears to be from a 986 and the title says it's a 2000 car...

I'm so confused!

Thanks for any help provided.

Alex L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 03:28 PM   #2

"I bought a 02 boxster S about 3 months ago, that already came with several upgrades (Carrera S wheels, PSS9 coilsovers, reprogrammed ECU etc).
Right now, I absolutely love the car, performance and looks-wise, and I get a huge grin every time I drive it."

Hi Alex, welcome to the club.... Desnorkeling will add some nice sounds as will a aftermarket intake. The big thing I would try to keep track of with intake/exhaust mods is your ECU tune. Most of the better ECU reprogramming tunes take into account the intake/exhaust situiation. They write software to take into account any modifications to the intake or exhaust, or if the car is stock. If your current chip is for a stock car, be aware that may change the performance of your chip.

Ed

2000 2.7L Boxster 102K; TTP intake, headers, high-flow cats; Dansk high-flow muffler; Autothority ECU chip; TechnoTorque 2; Bilstein coilovers; Racing Dynamics strut brace; stress-bar suspension kit; Aasco lightweight flywheel, B&M short shiftkit; 18" wheels; spare tire delete; OEM GT3 seats; JL audio speakers and subwoofer; Alpine PDX-5/PDX-2 amps; Kenwood DNX8120 CD/DVD/Nav; litronics, deambered
edevlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 06:45 PM   #3

I would keep the stock filter and airbox, and de-snorkle. Its a nice bump in intake noise, and avoids any issues you may run into with aftermarket filters or airboxes (there is no power to be had from changing either).

As to the exhaust, you have many options. I have had the GHL, and now have the FabSpeed. Both resonate, though the FabSpeed has less. This resonance refers to the dreaded 2200-2800RPM range where the exhaust noise literally resonates the structure of the car, its somewhat bad top down, but downright obnoxious top up. The conclusion I have come to, is that though I don't want to pay for it, the PSE is the thing to have. If you are looking for the PSE, get the 03-04 version as it is a much cleaner design and looks much better. The PSE sounds great in sport mode, still does not resonate, and can be nice and quick in normal mode.

Now, where I start to wonder....is that since the PSE only has bypass pipes that are switchable via vacuum powered butterflies, why can't one just incorporate these bypass pipes onto a stock exhaust? I've seen the exterior bypass pipes, but I love how Porsche engineered the internal bypass pipes of the 03-04 PSE.

Patrick
Cloudsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 11:05 PM   #4

Hmm, I see.. Then I guess, for people like me that can't take TOO MUCH noise from resonance, the PSE is the only option? How much does it cost anyway? Never got to ask, but I figured it would be more expensive than aftermarkets.
Also, is there a switch for normal and sport modes inside the car?

Can someone explain to me what desnorkle is so I can explain it to my mechanic? I live in Greece and he doesn't speak english...

Cheers!
Old 10-26-2007, 03:47 AM   #5

I tried the Gemballa muffler and one of the Dansk Sausage-style mufflers, both of which gave that resonance, which, like for others, drove me nuts. I finally got one of the Dansk Sport mufflers that look like our stock mufflers. It has a higher flow rate (I think I picked up a few ft lbs of torque, but no hp with it), but none of the resonance issues.

I like the sound, but I suspect not everyone would because is has a raspy tone. If you can find the Dansk website they have sound clips of the muffler which do give the character of the sound. Even though it can be raspy when I was behind the car on the last dyno pull I did, its amazing to hear it screem at 7,000 rpm.

Ed

2000 2.7L Boxster 102K; TTP intake, headers, high-flow cats; Dansk high-flow muffler; Autothority ECU chip; TechnoTorque 2; Bilstein coilovers; Racing Dynamics strut brace; stress-bar suspension kit; Aasco lightweight flywheel, B&M short shiftkit; 18" wheels; spare tire delete; OEM GT3 seats; JL audio speakers and subwoofer; Alpine PDX-5/PDX-2 amps; Kenwood DNX8120 CD/DVD/Nav; litronics, deambered
edevlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 05:47 AM   #6

Alex,

καλημέρα ! Here's a link to the desnorkle mod :

http://www.ppbb.com/boards/ppbbphp/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Board=ARCHIVES&Number=820409&page=&view=&sb=&o=

Nick

1999 986 ( Black )
1998 MB C280 ( Black )
1999 BMW K1200RS ( Yellow )
2005 Audi A4 ( Red )
NickCats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 05:54 AM   #7
bmussatti

Alex L, here is what you want. Also check pricing with www.sunsetporsche as they have better $ sometimes:

http://e-partssales.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=P&Product_Code=00004420012&Category_Code=986exhaust
Old 10-26-2007, 10:12 AM   #8

Sorry for the noob question, but what is the PSE?
Chris
Dragonwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 10:58 AM   #9
bmussatti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonwind
Sorry for the noob question, but what is the PSE?
Chris
Porsche
Sport
Exhaust
Old 10-26-2007, 11:48 AM   #10

PSE = Porsche Sport Exhaust
Bob Z. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 06:37 AM   #11

Thanks for the links guys, especially the desnorkle hack!

I'm gonna check on Dansk, however if the price tag difference is less than 500 euros, Im just gonna go for the PSE, I reckon.
Old 10-30-2007, 02:51 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex L
Thanks for the links guys, especially the desnorkle hack!

I'm gonna check on Dansk, however if the price tag difference is less than 500 euros, Im just gonna go for the PSE, I reckon.
Not everyone likes the PSE due to the way it sits. I really like mine, it was one of the handful of options i wanted in my S. It would make your car a bit more distinctive due to not as many car having this option.

Sputter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 05:16 PM   #13

To be honest, I'd prefer the PSE if the bypass pipes werent visible, but hidden behind the rear bumper, like this custom-made mod .
It's not only the way it looks, but my car is already fairly lowered due to the PSS9's, and I wouldn't want my exhaust to hit the pavement, every time I park my car in a lot...
Old 10-31-2007, 04:25 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex L
To be honest, I'd prefer the PSE if the bypass pipes werent visible, but hidden behind the rear bumper, like this custom-made mod .
It's not only the way it looks, but my car is already fairly lowered due to the PSS9's, and I wouldn't want my exhaust to hit the pavement, every time I park my car in a lot...
I did a quick measurement my in garage. 7 3/4" from the bottom of the tubes to the floor. This is more than the clearance of my belly pans ( about 7 1/2" approx). These are measurements from my stock 02 box S. BTW, 18" wheels on g force tires (stock sizes). My guess is i'll have bigger issues before i scrub my pipes.
Sputter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 05:41 PM   #15

The problem is not when you try to drive over rough surfaces, I don't do this anyway.
But when you approach a curb in a parking lot on reverse, the first thing that will hit it, if there is not much clearence, is the exhaust.
Old 10-31-2007, 08:45 PM   #16

I have a 2000 986s with the Dansk sport muffler (sausage style) and I get no resonance. I'm very happy with it, in fact I wish it was a tad bit louder. It did get a little louder as it broke in. I have desnorkled, K&N filter, ecu upgrade and no MAF issues or CEL. (Check Engine Light) Keep in mind I made sure my K&N was dried of oil before I put it in (I wrapped it in newspapers to draw out the oil for a few days prior to installation) No dyno numbers but I do feel a difference especially after 3000 rpm pulls much harder. Very drive able, my wife did not even notice any sound difference at freeway cruising speeds but when you get on it the sound is much more aggressive and deeper. Here is a pic of the muffler and easy to install.

Last edited by boxs2000; 10-31-2007 at 09:09 PM.
boxs2000 is offline   Reply With Quote