Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-28-2004, 09:18 PM   #1
Forum Member

Newbie needs info

In about 2 months, I will be in the market for a used Boxster standard. I test drove this car 2 times and have been obsessed ever since. I have alot of questions before I buy. Do these cars tend to exhibit alot of problems once they hit 40,000 miles. It seems like this is the standard mileage for all the used ones. Maybe there warranty runs out and they decide to sell. I don't know. How do these cars run after 40,000 miles up to and after 100,000 miles. Here's the biggie. What is the most miles ever put on a Boxster? Biggest question: Are they reliable, aside from minor german accesory problems if serviced right. Thanks.

aeb105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2004, 01:14 AM   #2

Send a message via AIM to Richard Truss
they are reliable, in my experience and from what i have read. 2000 and up are more so, due to being newer (i.e. possibly less miles) as well as a newer engine (2.7 or 3.2 as opposed to a 2.5). Additionally some 2.5 motors have some problems built in (porus engine block, sleved cylanders....i believe that's correct).

I have a 2000 S, and it has 67K miles on it. The engine purrrrs. But it is in right now for a new coolant tank ($600 parts and labor). These cars are great, but you have to stay on top of them....but when they break, they usually require heavy cash output to fix em.

All in all, i would do it all over again in a heartbeat.
Old 08-29-2004, 06:41 AM   #3
Forum Member

Warranty

If I buy one, I will buy a 36 month warranty from GM and from the look of it, it covers almost anything. Any advice in this area? I think it would be 3,000 for 36 months. Anyone have problems, praise, or comments with/for Porsche warranties. I figure if I keep buying the warranty, it will take care of any problems that arise and save me money.
aeb105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2004, 07:02 AM   #4
porsche986

I have had my boxster for so long and would never part with it. I got it in 1998 new and have had it ever since. Never had any major problems with it apart from a leaky raditor due to my fault when i crashed into a fence.

although mine is 1998 it has 60,000 miles on the clock and i am the only driver so i know how its runs..

you cant go wrong with any boxster really.. but i am from the United Kingdom where we have right hand drive cars so i can speak from our point of view, however the price changes so much as here in the UK it is double what it is in the USA... You dont get much for you cash here...

you cant go wrong with a boxster... you get problems with all cars but to be honest not many with porsche..

also used warrents are a waste of time as everything after 10,000 miles is fair ware and tear.. dont fall for a dealers bulls+++t about long warranties.

good luck.. i am sure you will buy a GREAT car
also i saw a porsche boxster 1997 with 198,000 miles on still sitting at £15,000 thats around $22,000...

Last edited by porsche986; 08-29-2004 at 07:07 AM.
Old 08-29-2004, 12:45 PM   #5

Send a message via AIM to Richard Truss
my dealer told me that most extended warranties are really not worth it, unless you really want the insurance (he said you are better off saving the money you would spend on the warranty for any repairs). The problem arrises about the stuff that is NOT covered....and while most warranties look complete, they leave out many items that have a high possibility of failure.

example: cooling system....radiator and water pump may be covered, hoses and coolant reservior (which tend to fail) may not be.

Transmission: covered. Clutch: not covered. The transmissions are solid and are meant to last forever. they dont go out. the clutches are wearable items and do need to be replaced.

basically, my dealer here in vegas said that unless you have a MAJOR catastrophic failure of either the tranny or the engine, the warranties are just not worth the money.
Old 08-29-2004, 03:11 PM   #6
Lux

This seems like a tough call. I've heard of cars running great and I've heard of cars with multiple RMS issues. It's kind of a crap shoot. Warranties are just like insurance. You hope you don't need it. But if you do need it you might be glad you got it. Only you can make the call on what your comfort level is.

Lux is offline   Reply With Quote