Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-15-2007, 10:39 AM   #1

Twin Turbo on 2.5

Hello,

Finally a few pictures from my Twin Turbo install.

The Supercharger removal and twin turbo install was handled by TurboWerx shop in Austin.

I also dynoed the car this weekend, as of now (it still needs another test and tune day) it is producing 50 - 60 horsepower more than stock all across the rpm. We think we can get another 20-30hp out of it. In comparison to the sc the turbos are producing 25 to 30 hp over the sc early in the rpms, I think that is because the turbos spool up so much faster than the supercharger did.

As of now I am getting full boost at 2800 rpm and carry the full boost all the way to red line.

Because of the heat wrap on the wires the dyno shop was unable to get a RPM read so I only have horsepower numbers. The next set of dynoes will have rpm numbers so next time I will have tourqe numbers. The Dyno Tech who has dynoed the car 4 other times said the tourqe was noticeably stronger.

I posted a video of the dyno pull from this weekend. The link is at
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jOunWKqkh80

Please ask any questions,
Gary

Growing up the car magazines said how amazing Porsches are. Was I brainwashed? Somehow...I doubt it.

http://www.pcars.us/albums/10641_porsche_cars.jpg
Gary in BR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 11:04 AM   #2

Send a message via MSN to CJ_Boxster
Freaken Awesome Gary! How much did the kit and the labor set you back?

Carlos J Cazares

FastForward Performance
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a1...er/newsig1.jpg
CJ_Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 11:08 AM   #3

Gary, please write as much as you can about the acceleration and overall feel between the TT and the SC kit you had on the car previously.

I know you got a sweet deal on this TT kit, but how much would Turbowerx charge me if I gave them my car and had them do the install? (It is a turbowerx unit, right?)

I am still torn between which option to go with: SC, TT, or 3.4 swap.

If money were no object, I'd go for the 3.4 and a six speed tranny and have that turbocharged. Now that's a quick boxster, huh?
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 12:06 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandallNeighbour
Gary, please write as much as you can about the acceleration and overall feel between the TT and the SC kit you had on the car previously.

The short version of the difference is the way the power was delivered. The turbo is at full boost at 2800 rpm and the sc was not there untill 5000 or so.

The turbo runs about 25 hp more than the sc across the entire rpms, when the sc comes on you can feel it, when the turbo spools up you dont feel anything because it does it so low.

I am not into street racing and spinning my 19inch Pilot Sports ( i dont care what youtube shows !!!) So my launch with the turbos is not as good as my launch with the sc. I can not get any boost going untill I start going.

I can tell you in gear acceleration is amazing, I can pass cars in 4th gear at 70 and be over 95 when I get back in my lane. I just do not have to down shift as often.

The sc was very noisy, and with the turbo from inside the car all I hear is the blow off valve and induction noises, i have an evo intake and desnorkeled so that helps too.

-----
I know you got a sweet deal on this TT kit, but how much would Turbowerx charge me if I gave them my car and had them do the install? (It is a turbowerx unit, right?)
-----

I think the kit and install is in the 6k range.

----
I am still torn between which option to go with: SC, TT, or 3.4 swap.
-----

I would go for the 3.4 but from what I saw last year the price will run 10k or more.
For a portion of the money you get close to if not equal power. With the turbo or sc setups.
If you dont want to spring for the 3.4 go for the turbo.

-----
If money were no object, I'd go for the 3.4 and a six speed tranny and have that turbocharged. Now that's a quick boxster, huh?
------

That would be a quick Boxster, in my no money an object I would go with a 3.4 bored out and rebuilt for as much power I could get.

But then again a 3.4 tt sounds real good...hmm...I dont need that 401k do I???

Growing up the car magazines said how amazing Porsches are. Was I brainwashed? Somehow...I doubt it.

Old 10-15-2007, 12:33 PM   #5

Gary, you have one sick boxster. 3.4 boxsters are pretty rare but a tt boxster is something you don't even hear of but once in awhile.
hdpt73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 03:51 PM   #6
boxsterz

That's awesome Gary!! I am very curious about the turbowerx shop because I'm interested in their 3.2 kit. They haven't released all the details yet. What are your impressions of the shop? Can you tell us a little bit more about the outfit? Thanks for sharing.

Yeah, turbo's are a little tricky to lauch as you can't get any boost until it starts "working". The motor has to be under load for the turbos to spool. I love a little turbo whine now an then
Old 10-15-2007, 04:23 PM   #7

What kind of warrenty do they give on the parts? Do they cover the cost of the engine if it blows up? Is there any internal modification like Gemballa does?
James
Pedro rear stabilizer bar, CF strut braces, Maxspeed headers with 100 cell cats, Fabspeed cat bypass pipes, H&R springs with M030 setup, TRG rear links, EVO air intake, B&M Short shift kit, Raby IMS upgrade, Raby underdrive pulley
jhandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 10:42 PM   #8
HB.

Hey Gary, what SC kit did you have before switching the the TT setup? I'm curious because you said it was very noisy.
HB. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 10:34 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhandy
What kind of warrenty do they give on the parts? Do they cover the cost of the engine if it blows up? Is there any internal modification like Gemballa does?
James

I think there is a 90 day on the kit, and i dont think any tuner besides Gemballa or Ruf cover the engine. and the are no internal modifications.

From my understanding because the turbos are set to only produce 6psi and they are an intercooled psi the engine is safe.

If someone tried running 15 or 20 psi I think the engine would turn into a bomb.

Old 10-16-2007, 10:37 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by HB.
Hey Gary, what SC kit did you have before switching the the TT setup? I'm curious because you said it was very noisy.

I had a Imagine Kit, on my you tube page there is a dyno with the sc on and a few driving videos.

www.youtube.com/gwhand

I did not notice how noisy it was until it was off.b

My old sc is for sale by JAAY he posted an ad here and on ebay.

Old 10-16-2007, 11:04 AM   #11

Send a message via MSN to Gerardo de Kort
Cool The other twin turbo 2.5

Hi Gary,

Nice posting.
Unfortunately I haven't succeeded in dynoing mine yet.
I do share your opinion on the TT performance.
Mine also has PS2's and I don't have the heart yet to drop the clutch etc. Besides, the tires grip like hell. Nice thing is that the TT's do break the tires loose!

I should post something on youtube .

Do you have the cone type airfilter?

I'm using a K&N replacement filter on mine.

I also plan to install the hose from my AOS to intake. This, regarding a little bit of leakage of oil. Marc from Turbowerx recommended me this.
Ruf 18" wheels with Michelin PS2s premounted and balanced.
Turbowerx Twin Turbo kit (self installed)
Ruf lowering springs.
Gerardo de Kort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 11:06 AM   #12
HB.

Thanks for the reply Gary, so for just about the same price as the SC, you could get a turbo setup that produces more power with less noise. Sounds like the turbo route is the way to go.
Old 10-16-2007, 11:40 AM   #13

Do you have the cone type airfilter?

I am using the EVO intake with cone air filter.

Get that dyno done I want to see what kind of power you are getting out of it.

Old 10-16-2007, 11:42 AM   #14

i would say between the two the tt is the way to go.

Old 10-16-2007, 01:22 PM   #15
HB.

Thanks for replying, and thanks for sharing your first hand experience with the two kits. I have bookmarked their site so when I'm ready look into FI for my box.
Old 10-16-2007, 01:51 PM   #16

[QUOTE=boxsterz]That's awesome Gary!! I am very curious about the turbowerx shop because I'm interested in their 3.2 kit. They haven't released all the details yet. What are your impressions of the shop? Can you tell us a little bit more about the outfit? Thanks for sharing.

When I went to Austin to drop off the car I drove all night met him at Colvins Automotive (as seen on Overhaulin) we dynoed the car, talked a little and he took me to the airport.

At pick up he met me at the airport with the car, we went over a few things and then I drove home.

So i never saw his shop.

Yeah, turbo's are a little tricky to lauch as you can't get any boost until it starts "working". The motor has to be under load for the turbos to spool. I love a little turbo whine now an then

I love the sound of the blow off valves.

Old 10-18-2007, 11:35 AM   #17

Gary,

Just wondering, how is it that the Turbo provides more power than the Supercharger ?

Imagine Auto's website claims approx. 80 additional hp :

http://www.imagineauto.com/boxster%20sc.htm

While TurboWerks claims an additional 65 hp :

http://www.turbowerx.com/Products/BoxsterTurbo/BoxsterTurbo.html

Thanks !

Nick

1999 986 ( Black )
1998 MB C280 ( Black )
1999 BMW K1200RS ( Yellow )
2005 Audi A4 ( Red )
NickCats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 04:11 PM   #18

Properly engineered turbo systems have lower parasitic losses than supercharger systems. A turbocharger uses some of the energy in the exhaust gases that would normally be thrown away to spin the charger, while a supercharger taps directly into crankshaft power for the energy to compress the intake charge. Usually this translates directly to more HP at the wheels for turbo systems.
efahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 12:54 PM   #19

The Imagine site has numbers problems.

First, 80hp gain over 150hp base is not 38%, it's 53%.

Second, if they are using about 5 psi, there is no way they can approach even 38%. The theoretical max in ideal conditions is 6.8% increase per 1 psi; 5 psi would therefore be a 34% increase, max, assuming all other factors perform at their theoretical performance limits. Operating over 5psi is an iffy proposition without an intercooler, so they can't be getting 38%, let alone 53%.

Lastly, it's not all about peak power; it's where in the rpm range the power happens. If you were to overlay the two dyno curves of the Imagine blower and the twin turbo, I bet the turbo curve is a lot higher than the blower curve at lower rpms. Even if the blower were to provide more peak power, it's going to do it at much higher rpms; the turbo car would be far in front of the blown car by that point.

A supercharger can't build boost until the revs are up, unlike a propertly tuned turbo setup. What you want is performance at lower rpms, unless you are at the track and never let things get below 5000...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickCats
Gary,

Just wondering, how is it that the Turbo provides more power than the Supercharger ?

Imagine Auto's website claims approx. 80 additional hp :

http://www.imagineauto.com/boxster%20sc.htm

While TurboWerks claims an additional 65 hp :

http://www.turbowerx.com/Products/BoxsterTurbo/BoxsterTurbo.html

Thanks !

Nick
monza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 04:16 PM   #20

The supercharger kit uses 4psi and the turbo kit uses 6psi and a intercooler.

Let me add some real world results to this conversation...

http://turbowerx.com/external_pictures/TWX_iA_overlay.jpg

My base line with a OEM 2.5 plus EVO intake desnorkeled

SC
and
finally the turbo overlay.