Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-08-2007, 12:05 PM   #1

Help Windows Wont Go All The Way Up

My windows won't go up all the way but once I put the top is down, then it will go up. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

986prospect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 12:08 PM   #2
bmussatti

Bad micro-switch in the top??
Old 10-08-2007, 12:08 PM   #3

what can i do?
Old 10-08-2007, 01:24 PM   #4

Is that the same as the sunvisor light switch or OE service micro switch
Old 10-08-2007, 02:28 PM   #5

This happened to me when I did not latch the top. There must be a switch or sensor for the latch that is not making.
SteveK-O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 02:36 PM   #6

It definitely sounds like the micro switch. To test, fold a small piece of paper up and put it over the latch hook. When you latch the top this will push in the switch a little more. They should go up all the way.

If you do a search, you will find a thread that shows how to take the switch out and repair it. I guess it is a common problem. The switch is mounted on two posts inside and held in place by small lock washers. Over time, they slide up, which allows the whole switch to move, and not engage.

It happened on mine. I followed the simple instructions and it has been perfect ever since. Less than 30 minutes if I recall.
dcompress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 03:28 PM   #7

dcompress, you were right the paper trick worked...but i could not find the thread where it shows how you fix or replace the switch. if you could be so kind to describe briefly how you fixed the problem would be very helpful for me.

thanks
Old 10-08-2007, 05:16 PM   #8

I pulled this off of rentech....

To get to the switch you will need to remove the latch plate from the center of the windshield. To do this remove the sensor "eyes" by gently prying them off with your finger nail or a small flat screw driver. There will be a torx bolt inside each. Remove them then carfully lower the latch plate so that you can get to the wires for the switch and for the light. Remove the wires and then the latch plate is free. There are 2 retaining clips that hold the switch to the back of the latch plate. Use a pair of needle nose pliers and gently remove them. If your careful they can be reused. You will just need to flatten out the cross sections in the center of the clips. If you do break them I beleive the part number is
999 507 534 02, atleast it is for my 99, and they are not expensive.

Now....instead of pulling the retaining clips off as indicated above, just slide them down tight. If they are really loose you can pull them off and flatten out then put them back on as described above.

dcompress is offline   Reply With Quote