Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-06-2007, 07:41 AM   #1

wheels and nuts and torque oh my

I cleaned out my rads a couple days ago. I torqued the lugs to 130nm. This a.m. i took the car out and heard an "odd clunk" sound coming from the right rear. It was only happening around corners. A few minutes later and the right rear started to feel similar to a flat tire. I let up on the gas and pulled over easy to the side of the road.

Nothing stood out at first blush. Tire wasn't flat so the next obvious choice was to check the lugs. I took out the tool kit and started checking the lugs. Bingo, they had started to backout, not one wheel but all four wheels. I re-tightened all of em and drove carefully home.

This the first time i've done lugs to torque spec. Normally (in the past with my other cars) i would pattern tighten creeping up the pressure as i cycle through each set of 5. The end result is all 5 lugs are snug( not cranked) to my ability, which is to say it's well over 94ft pounds.

Is there any reason why i shouldn't tighten them the old fashion way rather than trying to count on a torque wrench?

Sputter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 08:09 AM   #2
boggtown

Sounds like your torque wrench is mis calibrated.
Old 10-06-2007, 03:23 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by boggtown
Sounds like your torque wrench is mis calibrated.
That's my feeling as well. It's my fault for knowing to double check and not doing it.
Sputter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 02:34 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sputter
Is there any reason why i shouldn't tighten them the old fashion way rather than trying to count on a torque wrench?
Several reasons: Stripped lug bolts/lug nuts, damaged wheels, and warped brake rotors.

Dont overtighten. Use a good torque wrench in a diagonal pattern.

Gary Gaukler is offline   Reply With Quote