Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-04-2007, 06:08 PM   #1

Which Bilstein Struts...Heavy Duty or Sport?

I'm considering changing my struts since the car has 68k miles, and I don't know the previous history of the car. I've seen replacemnt shocks at sources like Pelican but noticed that there are two Bilstein options. Curious if anyone here can tell me the differnece between the two types. For example, which one is firmer or softer? And are these OE replacments? I drove a stock '99 Boxster that seemed to have a smoother ride...or I should say it seemed to have better dampening, and was a little less jarring over rough bumps....I have Yoko ES100's, and the '99 had Bridgestone Potenza 750's on it....could be the reason too?

Any input would be great.
Thanks,
~Michael

michael_dba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 05:29 AM   #2

Michael,

Based on the following, I think the "Sport" option would be better suited for the Boxster :

http://www.bilstein.com/ProductDescriptions.pdf

http://www.bilstein.com/mistore/ymm_productf.php?company_id=100484&year=1999&model_id2=2589&makes=PORSCHE&storedimg.x=1&storedimg.y=1&storedimg=1&storeYMM=storeYMM

Now available at Tire Rack as well :

http://www.tirerack.com/suspension/Susptabl.jsp?autoMake=Porsche&autoModel=Boxster&autoYear=1999&autoModClar=&brand=all

Hope this helps...

Nick

1999 986 ( Black )
1998 MB C280 ( Black )
1999 BMW K1200RS ( Yellow )
2005 Audi A4 ( Red )
NickCats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 09:16 PM   #3

unless you carry concrete blocks and cement in your trunk(s) get sport
blueillusion97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 10:23 PM   #4

Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
I wouldn't run two different types of tires on the Boxster,I don't know if it's true or not but I heard it ran raise the chances of your car spinning out.

I believe that the RoW 030 suspension from Porsche uses the Bilstein Sport set up. I really liked my ride when it had the RoW kit,I didn't even know that I upgraded the suspension from a day to day basis unless I was pushing it,it was smooth as butter(not to say I'd eat butter).
Old 10-18-2007, 11:48 AM   #5

The Bilstein HD and the Bilstein Sport are identical in valving and construction with the exception being that the Sport has a shorter shock shaft to accomodate lowering springs.

Incidentally the valving of these shocks is identical to the US/RoW M030 shocks.

So no, the HD's aren't for carrying heavy loads in your Boxster.
John V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 02:05 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by John V
The Bilstein HD and the Bilstein Sport are identical in valving and construction with the exception being that the Sport has a shorter shock shaft to accomodate lowering springs.

Incidentally the valving of these shocks is identical to the US/RoW M030 shocks.

So no, the HD's aren't for carrying heavy loads in your Boxster.

This is exactly what I was wondering about, thanks! (I DO know that older Mercedes SL500's spec the HD Bilsteins)

I do have the same brand/make tires all around....just comparing the slightly newer model's tire brand for reference...as far as ride quality goes. Considering Kumhos next...
~M

michael_dba is offline   Reply With Quote