Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-21-2004, 08:25 AM   #1
Forum Member

Tires S03 or Yoko AVS or PS2??

I'm shopping new tires and comtemplating these: S03, Yoko AVS, or Mich PS2. I know all of these tires are pretty good based on the feedbacks on Tirerack, however, these are the differences:

1. AVS:
Cons: Yoko AVS seems to have more people complainning about noise after using them for a while. They seem to wear faster too? Pros: they do look very nice, lower prices.
2. S03:
Cons: noise, faster wear, more expensive than AVS. Pros: Seems to be better handling than AVS, Looks OK.
3. PS2:
Cons: Does not look that good, expensive (may be $50 more per tire than AVS, may be $20 more than S03. Pros: Handling, quiet, better wear.

I'm not sure that all of these Pros and Cons compared among these 3 types are absolute since there were members who have or have not reported the consistent results with these tires on Tirerack, therefore I am asking for your opinions since these tires may be performing different on the Boxster 2000 than other cars. Also, I'm trying to balance performance and wear and noise at the same time since I'm driving the car to work everyday (80 miles round trip) and I'm loving it.

What are the tires recommended by Porsche? I remembered seeing that in one of the issues of Porsche magazine before.

What are your opinions on these tires? Have anyone had these 2 or 3 tire types before? Thanks for your answers.

oracle9i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2004, 02:21 AM   #2

The PS2 are awesome...I can only compare them on the same car to Bridgestones turanza, but there were night and day...they seem to wear fast however...and they were surprinsingly good on the wet despite they dry oriented profile.
I have PS1 on my S, but i'll put 2 when they are done...because they are just so good in the turns.
Maybe not the best choice for daily driving?
It is hard to find somebody who tried several different tires on exact same car...good luck !

Jeannot is offline   Reply With Quote