Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-29-2007, 10:48 PM   #1

FVD DME DIY Program

Anyone tried this before? I'm seriously considering it given the current UK tuner (DMS Automotive) I'm eying is erratic at best when it comes to making local trips down to my country...

http://shop.fvd.de/?VID=365234&VCD=52231445&AM=1&SM=1&LM=2&MM=item&AC=item_details&item=FVD98661830&gid=6&sgid=35&CarCompany=0&CarType=13&CarBody=&CarYear=

clubhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 04:38 AM   #2

Lots of $ for 5% at best

I'd have better uses for my $$$. Where you going to use that 5%? Can you already use the 100% you have safely and effectively? Are you that good a driver? If so, congratulations. You are in the 1% who own Boxsters that are capable of extracting the most from their car. I'm not.

And if you aren't, then spend the $$$ on high speed driving lessons. I guarantee you'll enjoy the car more after you learn its limits and yours.

http://mike.focke.googlepages.com/itisn%27tfastenough
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 07:11 AM   #3

I think your point of view is valid but then again, these things are very personal. If it's my preference to spend that 995 Euro to gain 10bhp, it's my money and so be it...

I would rather you leave this discussion to another topic like "What's the best way to spend money on your Boxster" rather than in a response to me asking for experiences with FVD as an engine tuner. But it's a free world

But don't assume that I haven't explored the limits of the car and have not taken up advance driving and track lessons. Your condescending tone doesn't help to bring the point across to other readers, valid as it may be.

Last edited by clubhead; 09-30-2007 at 07:17 AM.
Old 09-30-2007, 12:42 PM   #4
boxsterz

I am very interested in this upgrade as well. Surely someone has done this mod. I would love to hear experiences with this unit.

The cable looks just like the Duramtric supplied one.
Old 09-30-2007, 03:50 PM   #5

that pricing really makes me miss the open source flashing software tools available for the wrx. i'm guessing the price is competitve with other solutions, but wow that seems excessive for the benefits.
humara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 09:09 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by humara
that pricing really makes me miss the open source flashing software tools available for the wrx. i'm guessing the price is competitve with other solutions, but wow that seems excessive for the benefits.
You can never compare DME program price between a Rex and a Porsche. These tuners priced these things to pain point, not according to the effort spent on developing the software. Just take a look at how much a Carrera GT software cost and you'll know what I mean...

Anyway, I've sent an equiry on the software to FVD, including whether they offer a money back guarantee. Let's see what they come back with. I'm inclined to deal with FVD US rather than FVD Germany because FVD US charges US$995 while FVD Germany charges 995 Euro!!
Old 10-03-2007, 03:54 PM   #7

You should check out REVO & GIAC. They both use flash loaders so you can change a few parameters yourself whenever you please. It sounds like the FVD system is gonna lock you in to $995 whenever you want to make a change.

'03 Midnight Blue
18" Chromes//Drilled and slotted rotors//pedal upgrade//Alum. Door sills//KSPORT Coilovers//Short Shifter/Strut braces/Clear sides/Hard Top/Speedster humps/Intake//Leather GT3 seats/REVO chip with SPS2
'04 CLK55 AMG 367HP!
'86 944 Guards Red & MINT!
'69 911 Black
PCA Member -Northern Ohio
Cancer Survivor
der Geist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 05:20 PM   #8

I was very pleased when I got my Boxster "chipped". It did not add a lot of HP (10-15 depending on dyno run) but the car seemed much more responsive. Also, both the dyno torque curve and the butt dyno indicated more available low-end torque. All-in-all made it more fun to drive. You have to decide for yourself if the cost represents good value to you. Most good tuners let you try their software, so you can see for yourself.

Ed

:dance:

2000 2.7L Boxster 102K; TTP intake, headers, high-flow cats; Dansk high-flow muffler; Autothority ECU chip; TechnoTorque 2; Bilstein coilovers; Racing Dynamics strut brace; stress-bar suspension kit; Aasco lightweight flywheel, B&M short shiftkit; 18" wheels; spare tire delete; OEM GT3 seats; JL audio speakers and subwoofer; Alpine PDX-5/PDX-2 amps; Kenwood DNX8120 CD/DVD/Nav; litronics, deambered
edevlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 07:47 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by der Geist
You should check out REVO & GIAC. They both use flash loaders so you can change a few parameters yourself whenever you please. It sounds like the FVD system is gonna lock you in to $995 whenever you want to make a change.
I've tried GIAC through Evo. Lost bhp when I did a before/after dyno run. I sent the entire DME back to get it restored for a money back. When my DME was opened up later by DMS for tuning, I discovered Evo had actually swapped out a chip (ie. unsoldered and soldered on a new chip). I couldn't tell whether they re-swap the chip to the original one in my DME but I reckon they didn't do it.

Anyway, things changed and I guess GIAC is offering flash upgrade now.

FVD will not charge for future upgrades as stated in their website. $995 is a one time charge.
Old 10-04-2007, 12:12 PM   #10
boxsterz

Quote:
Originally Posted by clubhead
I've tried GIAC through Evo. Lost bhp when I did a before/after dyno run. I sent the entire DME back to get it restored for a money back. When my DME was opened up later by DMS for tuning, I discovered Evo had actually swapped out a chip (ie. unsoldered and soldered on a new chip). I couldn't tell whether they re-swap the chip to the original one in my DME but I reckon they didn't do it.

Anyway, things changed and I guess GIAC is offering flash upgrade now.

That's sucky. Would you have a chart?
Old 10-05-2007, 07:51 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxsterz
That's sucky. Would you have a chart?
Dyno Report : GIAC DME Stage 3 Program on Boxster S

This was some time ago...