Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-11-2007, 02:06 AM   #1

Short shift kit

i just ordered a short shift gear kit for by boxster. i'd like to know if someone has any feedback on it, if it makes a difference in shifting , if gear changing would become harder now. is it a big job to install?

boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 02:44 AM   #2

Sorry I can't comment on how to install it but I got the Porsche short shift fitted to my '00 S about 3 weeks ago.

It naturally makes a difference in shifting, the throw between 1st and 2nd is reduced to something more acceptable and 3rd to 4th is very quick.

Just like the normal shifting, its pretty stiff when the the gearbox is cold and the problem is problem worse than the stock shifting mechanism.

2nd to 3rd when cold is horrendous.

Just re-read all of that, sounds negative but in fact I think its one of the best mods out there as the stock length of throw is outrageous for a sports car!
davej_anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 05:49 AM   #3

Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
Which short shift kit do you have?
Old 09-11-2007, 07:35 AM   #4

It makes a huge difference in shifting. It takes a little bit to get used to it but I think it is one of the biggest improvements in the joy of driving this car. The installation was not to difficult. There are many detailed sets of instructions out there that will guide you through the process.
Good Luck!!
ROW M030 Suspension
Front & Rear Strut Braces
B&M Short Shift & EVO Billet Linkage
steve00s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2007, 08:25 PM   #5

I have the Schnell and couldn't be happier.

Patrick
Cloudsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 04:04 AM   #6

short shifter

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkwatt
Which short shift kit do you have?
i have the schnell. i just fitteed it, im really happy with it. i didnt get the aluminium shift linkage though, some of my friends told me it makes no difference. any opinion?
boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 04:49 AM   #7

I love my short-shift kit, makes the car much more fun to drive,

Ed

2000 2.7L Boxster 102K; TTP intake, headers, high-flow cats; Dansk high-flow muffler; Autothority ECU chip; TechnoTorque 2; Bilstein coilovers; Racing Dynamics strut brace; stress-bar suspension kit; Aasco lightweight flywheel, B&M short shiftkit; 18" wheels; spare tire delete; OEM GT3 seats; JL audio speakers and subwoofer; Alpine PDX-5/PDX-2 amps; Kenwood DNX8120 CD/DVD/Nav; litronics, deambered
edevlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 10:15 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxster
i have the schnell. i just fitteed it, im really happy with it. i didnt get the aluminium shift linkage though, some of my friends told me it makes no difference. any opinion?
Your friends are half right. There is no difference in feel or performance, but the plastic piece can break and leave you stranded, but the aluminum piece will not.

It is a question of durability, not feel or performance.
MikeBat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 11:18 PM   #9

you guys are absolutely right about the mile long throws.

I sold my S2000 and picked up the Boxster, and the first thing that popped into my head when testing was "wtf is up with the shifter throws, I cant even reach 5th without leaning forward"

In addition to a short shifter, are there any "short" shift knobs. I think part of the reason the throws are so long is that the shifter is so tall.
boxstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 08:18 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxster
i just ordered a short shift gear kit for by boxster. i'd like to know if someone has any feedback on it, if it makes a difference in shifting , if gear changing would become harder now. is it a big job to install?
Which Kit? Yours should have included install intructions. I just ordered deluboz short shifter and can't wait!

Anyway, here's a link for the B&M Install: http://www.bmracing.com/index.php?id=products&sid=4&cat=3&subcat=15&pid=187

Hope it helps.

Give us a review after install.

JV
Eagle F1 All Season

2004 Honda CRF 450R

DRD Exhaust
JaysPcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 07:25 PM   #11

Talking Thanks Che!

Finally installed Che's Short Shifter, pending test drive in the morning. So far, running it through the gears felt like everything engages well. But the best part, the throw is awesome! :dance: Somewhat mechanical, but super short like the old arcade games. I imagined the throw to be short, but didn't expect it to be that good. Ordered it Wednesday morning, and at my door Friday afternoon!

Thanks Che!!!
Eagle F1 All Season

2004 Honda CRF 450R

DRD Exhaust
JaysPcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 03:55 AM   #12

Which shortshifter-kit has the "longest throw"?
I don't like my original as it feels to lose and plastic. But i'm a little bit afraid of the problems when the gearbox is cold so I don't want extremely short/fast movements.
spongebob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 08:21 PM   #13

You might want to check and see if you can find the shifter from a 2004 Spyder

The Boxster S 550 Spyder Limited Edition from 2004 came from the factory with a special short throw shifter that reduced throw by 15%. This is by far the 'longest' of the short throws -- as all the aftermarket kits seem to reduce by 30%-40%. And it would be a true Porsche Factory part. Which means it would be both expensive and guarenteed by Porsche.

Last edited by ocelot; 10-16-2007 at 08:22 PM. Reason: more info
ocelot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 06:45 AM   #14

I don't have a problem with the length of the throws as much as with the generally looseness and free play of the shifter. Is there any sort of bushing or other upgrade that installs along with the stock shifter but "tightens" things up a bit?

There is no substitute.
Padawan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 05:38 PM   #15

I have the same question as spongebob. What would be the "longest" short throw out there? I would not think that the 04 550 one from Porsche would be affordable.

Boxster, Bmwm750, have you had experience with other shifters compared to the Schnell? I'm leaning in that direction.
Old 10-17-2007, 06:12 PM   #16
Porscheectomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocelot
The Boxster S 550 Spyder Limited Edition from 2004 came from the factory with a special short throw shifter that reduced throw by 15%. This is by far the 'longest' of the short throws -- as all the aftermarket kits seem to reduce by 30%-40%. And it would be a true Porsche Factory part. Which means it would be both expensive and guarenteed by Porsche.
I wonder if you can buy the 550 shifter from Porsche. It's probably ridiculously expensive if you can.

From what I can tell, the B&M, Porsche factory and B&M clones are the shortest throw, the Schnell is just a little longer, and the swift shift kit from Evolution motorsports is even longer, and is adjustable, and uses the stock shifter so you don't have to destroy the stock bushings to install it and can easily go back to stock, and comes with the aluminum link.

Personally, I think $200 is a ridiculous price to pay for these parts, this is clearly a case of a "Porsche tax" if you look at equivalent parts for other makes, but the swift shift kit is pretty attractive for a couple of reasons.

I personally love my B&M clone, but I replaced the nylon bushings with a more appropriate plastic.

Last edited by blue2000s; 10-17-2007 at 06:16 PM.
blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 05:03 AM   #17

Send a message via AIM to dmenn
If you look in the Porsche parts catalog, it lists a different shifting mechanism for the 2004 model. I think the cost is ~$200. The part number is: 986 424 010 04

I'll try and attach a screen shot.

Last edited by dmenn; 10-18-2007 at 05:05 AM.
dmenn is offline   Reply With Quote