Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-06-2007, 08:39 AM   #1

Exhaust tips

This is my continuing saga regarding replacing the stock exhaust on my '99 Boxster with an exhaust from an '03S.

As you may know from my previous thread -- the exchange went smoothly and it sounds great.

My only problem is the '03S exhaust did not come with tips. I'm trying to be creative and cost efficient by looking at non-stock tips -- my concern is the exhaust ports seem to be pointing down. The ports are also rather small (1.75 inches in diameter). The lip of the ports are very small too so it looks like welding is the best option -- although a bolt-on would be an easier install (I could do it).

Has anyone purchased after market tips for your Boxster?

Thanks for your time.
-gene

geno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 05:30 PM   #2

There are 3 tips for that muffler - I do not know of any aftermarket tips or anyone who has welded a tip(s) on.

The tips are purely cosmetic. They are a gimmick.

The base Boxster has a single tip and the S has 2 tips - same muffler except for the number of tips. But then for 2000-2002 Porsche had to stock 2 mufflers, as the tips are welded on.

For 2003-2004 the tips are bolted on with a single bolt on the bottom of the tip. That way Porsche could stock just one muffler and bolt any 1 of the 3 tips on.

I guess you could buy a generic chrome tip or tips from an auto parts place and have have it welded on.

Sometimes those tips show up on ebay. We had a local guy with a 2003 2.7 and he replaced the single tip with the tip used on the 2004 special edition. He has since sold the car. When I last spoke to him I think he said the original single tip is somewhere in his garage. Let me know if you want to contact him. He just had another kid so make him an offer....

Here is the bolt that keeps the tip from falling off.

Last edited by Tool Pants; 09-06-2007 at 05:40 PM.
Tool Pants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 06:05 PM   #3
blkboxster

Quote:
Originally Posted by geno
This is my continuing saga regarding replacing the stock exhaust on my '99 Boxster with an exhaust from an '03S.

As you may know from my previous thread -- the exchange went smoothly and it sounds great.

My only problem is the '03S exhaust did not come with tips. I'm trying to be creative and cost efficient by looking at non-stock tips -- my concern is the exhaust ports seem to be pointing down. The ports are also rather small (1.75 inches in diameter). The lip of the ports are very small too so it looks like welding is the best option -- although a bolt-on would be an easier install (I could do it).

Has anyone purchased after market tips for your Boxster?

Thanks for your time.
-gene
We should get a sound check, dude you live in 30022, i used to live there great place, the only thing i miss of Ga was the neighborhood i lived in CCOS man i sure miss that
Old 09-07-2007, 05:07 AM   #4

purely cosmetic -- I agree

Tool Pants,

You mentioned the cosmetics of the tips -- I agree -- and that's why I hate spending $$$$ for one from the dealer -- and thus, my interest in an after-market tip that might work.

I feel like the installation isn't quite finished. True, the tips aren't needed -- and indeed the sound from the '03S muffler is a great improvement over my stock '99 muffler.

If your friend still has the tip you mentioned -- please let me know.

Thanks for your reply. BTW, I sent you a private email that you can ignore.
-gene

geno is offline   Reply With Quote