Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-24-2007, 03:47 PM   #1

Angry AC Fan crapped out on me

Well, I sure had a good run of it! Almost six months without something breaking or wearing out on my car.

Today on the way home from a breafast meeting, the AC fan quit blowing. Turning the AC button on and off does kick start the compressor, and everything lights up on the Ac controls, but the fan won't come on no matter what I try.

I swapped the 7.5 amp fuse out for a new one just in case and it still does not blow.

Has this happened to any of you? If so, what was the remedy? New fan motor?

RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 05:35 PM   #2

Just a wild stab in the dark because I just learned this, could be a blown fan resister. I didn't know the a/c fan had two speeds, my mechanic informed me that the low speed was not working because of a blown series resister, which he replaced. He said it is behind the front bumper somewhere, it was about 5 inches long and about .75" in diameter with two wires coming out of one end.

Orlando - 99 BMW M Coupe (autocross toy), '11 Mazdaspeed 3 (dog hauler), '99 10AE Miata (the new daily driver)
kabel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 08:11 AM   #3

Well sorry that I can't help. I hope it will be a quick fix for you. Man I know you need it as it has to be as hot there as it is here!
Old 08-25-2007, 10:24 AM   #4

Kabel, this isn't my AC's radiator fan, it's the interior AC fan that blows cold air on the passengers. But thanks for your advice anyway!
Old 08-25-2007, 12:49 PM   #5
bmussatti

Randall, aren't you a Man of God! Can't you just smack your hands together, and then rub them real hard together back & forth, and then touch the Boxster's dash, yelling "HEAL" at the top of your lungs?
Old 08-25-2007, 01:09 PM   #6

Then he'll have red hands, a sore throat and a broken air conditioner fan.
...no catastrophic engine failure ...yet
Grizzly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 03:22 PM   #7

I think the Lord would probably tell me, "Randall, I let you meet Hans for a reason, you know."

After all, I haven't contributed to his wife's Mercedes S550 fund in a looooong time.
Old 08-25-2007, 03:34 PM   #8
bmussatti

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandallNeighbour
I think the Lord would probably tell me, "Randall, I let you meet Hans for a reason, you know."

After all, I haven't contributed to his wife's Mercedes S550 fund in a looooong time.

Yeah, he needs new tires for the upgraded wheel package you "bought" for Mrs. Hans!!
Old 08-25-2007, 05:08 PM   #9

don't remind me :chicken:
Old 08-25-2007, 07:32 PM   #10

Pull the fan out and tell your trunk monkey to blow through the hole.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=MkZcG_pgp0Q
...no catastrophic engine failure ...yet

Last edited by Grizzly; 08-25-2007 at 07:37 PM.
Grizzly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 11:31 AM   #11

You should have come over to my place with Brett and me (like I invited you to!). We probably could have either fixed it or found the problem.

Some days you just gotta butch up and have a manly day working on cars.

We nearly finished the Jeep project (didn't only because some more parts are on the way. Then installed GT3 brake ducts on the Box and drained some oil out that the dealer kindly overfilled. And last, and certainly not least, removed the triple SU carbs and manifold off the old Jaguar in preparation for sale. 20+ years of being attached to the cylinder head means it was REALLY attached, I will tell you.

We would have made time for you, though.

Anyway, back to your problem, did you check the disgronificator? Sometimes those can cause electrical problems. Faulty fallopian tubes can affect it as well.

I'm always glad to help...

- Mark
Houston C4S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 12:42 PM   #12

OK, everyone, Hans found the source of the problem. He had a brand new fan and installed it and that wasn't the faulty part.

It's the display/control unit gone bad. This isn't good news. The fan was cheap and this part is anything but cheap... although installation is a five minute ordeal.

Cost me $80 to find out what it was. Now I have to find another AC control unit.
Old 08-26-2007, 01:31 PM   #13
bmussatti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston C4S
You should have come over to my place with Brett and me (like I invited you to!). We probably could have either fixed it or found the problem.

Some days you just gotta butch up and have a manly day working on cars.

We nearly finished the Jeep project (didn't only because some more parts are on the way. Then installed GT3 brake ducts on the Box and drained some oil out that the dealer kindly overfilled. And last, and certainly not least, removed the triple SU carbs and manifold off the old Jaguar in preparation for sale. 20+ years of being attached to the cylinder head means it was REALLY attached, I will tell you.

We would have made time for you, though.

Anyway, back to your problem, did you check the disgronificator? Sometimes those can cause electrical problems. Faulty fallopian tubes can affect it as well.

I'm always glad to help...

- Mark
Hey Mark, what are GT3 brake ducts? How many miles on your bad-boy now??
Old 08-26-2007, 04:34 PM   #14

B,

"Hey Mark, what are GT3 brake ducts? How many miles on your bad-boy now??"

3,250 just last night coming back from one of our regions Formula 1 dinners --
top down, sport exhaust wailing away...

GT3 ducts, from Suncoast at $30, just replace the originals. They are larger and more "sculpted" I guess you would say. They will direct more air to the rotors. Bit of a PIA to install, though. No tools, really, they just clip on. But they clip on REALLY tight.

If you look under there, you will see them on the lower front control arm.

I am getting ready for the DE here in mid-September, so I thought I would go on and get that done as well as getting the oil level correct.

Randall -- I'm glad you found the problem. Maybe you can find a dismantlng place???

And be glad it wasn't the disgronificator -- those are really expensive and hard to get to.

Best,

- Mark
Old 08-27-2007, 04:40 PM   #15

OK, FWIW, I am returning here just in case others have the same problem years from now and want to read through this frustrating ordeal of mine to get to the root of the problem.

Hans called tonight to say that his climate control unit, which acted the same as mine when installed in my car, works fine. He tried it on another Boxster this morning.

So, he's got me checking relays now and says that if its not a relay, it may be the fan resistor found near the fan under the passenger side of the dash.

While I'm glad it's not the $300 part (digital display controller) I am frustrated. I do not want to drive to Fredericksburg weekend after next for Boxtoberfest in blistering Texas heat. The wife will gripe both directions and wonder why I didn't cancel!

I gotta get to the root of this problem and get it fixed ASAP!
Old 08-27-2007, 06:34 PM   #16

well well well. I'm a first class idiot—I think.

Had I consulted my overpriced repair manual before calling Hans, I would have seen the much larger, 30 amp fuse in Bank D, #6. I only inspected and changed the 7.5 amp fuse in Bank E.

I pulled the 30 amp fuse and found it all burned out. :ah:

It's late enough that I will buy a 30 amp fuse and replace it tomorrow and see if that fixes my lack of an AC blower.

I still wonder why the fuse burned up though. It could be that it blows another fuse immediately, proving that it may be in fact the resistor. In that case, I would not be as much of an idiot. Possibly a second or even third class idiot.

I will keep you all posted. Thanks for your support. :troll:
Old 08-28-2007, 04:16 PM   #17

Randall,

I wouldn't necessarily say you are first class.

(For the rest of you, please know I am kidding. Randall, the master of wit, will
know that. He is a first class guy and a first class friend.)

But, Randall, does the acronym RTFM mean anything to you?

If not, ask me about it...

- Mark
Old 08-28-2007, 06:17 PM   #18

Yeah, Brett told me what RTFM means: Read The F'ing Manual.

There's a lot of wisdom in that abbreviation!