Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-09-2007, 01:07 PM   #1

Fuel gage showing empty !

hey,
My fuel gage recently started showing empty for no reason at all. No matter how much gas I have in the tank it shows empty and it flashes. Sometimes it'll pop to original amount as per tank than it drops down to empty again. It's weird. Anyone knows where I should start? Any tips?

juxter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 04:17 PM   #2

Never heard of a problem like this before on a Boxster but I would start at the level sender unit.... possible poor connection at the unit or it is failing. The sender is in the fuel tank and if your mechanically inclined, remove the sender for inspection and measure it's resistance with a ohm meter throughout it's operational range.
wvicary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 06:58 PM   #3

As wvicary stated, if yo are inclined, the connector for the fuel pump power and the measurement is under the battery. Remove the battery and tray, and yo are looking at the top of the fuel tank. Remove the connector, I think there are four wires, and measure the resistance between the white wire and the brown/orange wire ( these should be the smaller gauge of the four wires.

Put it all back together, do the smae again once you know the fuel level has changed by at least a 1/4 tank and measure the resistance again. If the resistance changes, it is probbaly not the sender.

E
ethand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 12:15 PM   #4

I will try that sometime this week, thanks guys.
Old 08-21-2007, 12:37 PM   #5

Hey Juxter, did you fix it?

Hey Juxter ... I have the exact same problem on my 1997 Boxster ... the only thing I could come up with was to replace the "fuel gauge" assembly, which they sell at Pelican Parts for around $300. I will first try the fixes suggested here though. Did you ever fix the problem on your Boxster?
Old 08-21-2007, 05:22 PM   #6

Hey, actually there was no problem with the fuel gauge. It was the sender unit. I took it out, cleaned it carefully and it's been working for the last 3000 miles or so.

Good luck...