Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-14-2007, 12:36 AM   #1

GT3 brake upgrade?

Hi guys!

First of all thanks very much for all the great information I`ve got from this forum! I`ve a 2001 Boxster 2.7 and I was wondering if 996 GT3 brakes are bolt on? Friend of mine has a used set for pretty good price. Why upgrading the brakes? I`m considering a 3.4L engine upgrade next year and I`m running Michelin Pilot Sport Cup`s on race track. If they are bolt on i guess some one has done it. Tried search on every forum but haven`t got the aswer. I hope you could help, Thanks!

Ps. curren specs and a few pics from Nurburgring Nordschleife:
http://www.9xxfin.com/varikko/index.php?carid=500

GT3 aerokit, Bilstein+H&R suspension, Cargraphic rear silencer, Sports design interior, Porsche short shifter, upgraded audio system, hardtop, Michelin Pilotsport 2 (street), Pilot Cup (track) and Pilot Alpina (winter)...

By the way, if any forum members are visiting Nurburgring from september 1st to 11th please say hello!

Aerokit986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 02:23 AM   #2

I know that the company I use Ninemeister have fitted them to a Boxster. They made up an adaptor for the caliper, but I believe the disk is a direct fit.

http://www.ninemeister.com/

Try contacting Colin or Peter

I am just planning my trip to the nurburgring but it will be late sept/early oct

Cheers

Last edited by noone986s; 08-14-2007 at 02:26 AM.
noone986s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 02:42 AM   #3

Just checked out your link, love the car, is that an OEM body kit or is it from somewhere else?
Old 08-14-2007, 08:43 AM   #4

regular BoxsterS brakes should do the trick with a 3.4 since these are the same brakes that come with the 3.6 and 3.8 911's. I don't really see the need to go bigger. Maybe switch out the pads for track only pads since those are a snap to change. My brakes are the best thing I have ever experienced on any sports car.
The only experiecne that would probably be better would be a CaymanS on Porsche Carbon Brakes. The best handling and best stoping all in one.

p.s.
nice picture of you in the carousel.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW

Last edited by Perfectlap; 08-14-2007 at 08:49 AM.
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 09:13 AM   #5

Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
It's not worth dumping money into the base Boxsters brakes,they are great as is. The stopping distance between the base & S brakes is so small your better off putting money elsewhere,perhaps better tires. Now the braking distance between the base Boxsters and the GT3 brakes might be something to consider but I doubt it. Just remove the spare tire,get a lighter exhaust and I bet that would be the same payoff as upgrading the brakes but for much less $$$$.

By the way how much are you gonna pay for the GT3 brakes?
Old 08-14-2007, 12:05 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkwatt
The stopping distance between the base & S brakes is so small your better off putting money elsewhere,perhaps better tires.
Blink, you're probably doing the braking test wrong if you think that's the case. The test is as follows: start at 20 mph, accelerate to 130 at full throttle, then threshold brake down to 20 again. Repeat 20-30 times, and only on the last one measure the distance from 130 down to zero. It's not a matter of doing it once, but how many time you can do it where the big brakes give you the advantage.

Eric
efahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 01:09 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by efahl
Blink, you're probably doing the braking test wrong if you think that's the case. The test is as follows: start at 20 mph, accelerate to 130 at full throttle, then threshold brake down to 20 again. Repeat 20-30 times, and only on the last one measure the distance from 130 down to zero. It's not a matter of doing it once, but how many time you can do it where the big brakes give you the advantage.

Eric
agreed! on the track, the base boxster brakes are really lacking. the 's' brakes are night and day here.

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t...1/KMTGPR-1.jpg
insite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 01:32 PM   #8

Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
Quote:
Originally Posted by insite
agreed! on the track, the base boxster brakes are really lacking. the 's' brakes are night and day here.
Do you think that it's due to more to the cross drilled design of the rotors or the extra size of the S rotors that make them more suitable for the track compared to the base brakes?

Last edited by blinkwatt; 08-14-2007 at 01:41 PM.
blinkwatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 03:08 PM   #9

While I don't find the base brakes "lacking" at the track, It would make sense that larger brakes provide better effectiveness for repeated high speed stops. The larger size (overall diameter and thickness) allows for better heat management. Not sure the cross drilling is good or bad.. 1) decreases swept area of disc but 2) should offer better cooling and allowing gasses to escape better than regular "flat" dics.

Rotors, Brake fluid, brake pad material and air (for cooling) and tire brand and size as well as suspension and overall weight, all effect a cars braking ability.

But in answer to the first question -do GT3 brakes fit? I am sure they do fit with some modification. I don't believe them to be a simple "bolt on" swap.
1970 914 w/2056 (sold)
racer_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 12:14 AM   #10

Thanks for all! Very good information!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkwatt
It's not worth dumping money into the base Boxsters brakes,they are great as is. The stopping distance between the base & S brakes is so small your better off putting money elsewhere,perhaps better tires. Now the braking distance between the base Boxsters and the GT3 brakes might be something to consider but I doubt it. Just remove the spare tire,get a lighter exhaust and I bet that would be the same payoff as upgrading the brakes but for much less $$$$.

By the way how much are you gonna pay for the GT3 brakes?
I`ve Michelin Pilot Cup`s for track so I can`t get any better tires. Boxster brakes just are not enough for hard core track driver (Nurburgring Nordschleife BTG 8.38 with 220hp Boxster using Michelin Pilot Sport 2 street tires). I have pagid orange/blue pads and they were enough for street tires but could be better when using MPSC`s. The price for GT3 calipers would be about 1000 euros (used). Spare tire has gone and so has the exhaust been upgraded.

Because so many of you recomended Boxster S/carrera brakes I`ll most likely buy them. Friend of mine have an extra set of calipers. I`m also considering 3.4 engine upgrade next year so I have been a bit worried if they are enough for 3.4 engine and track tires. But I quess they will be okay with Pagid race pads for pretty light car.
Aerokit986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 01:58 AM   #11
Rennzenn

Garage
one more thing to consider

The gt3 brakes will need at least an 18" wheel, if not a 19. Last weekend I was chatting with a gt3 owner and he said he had used 18' wheels on his car and they had rubbed the brake calipers.
j.fro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 07:39 AM   #12

I have EBC Yellow pads and ATE Blue fluid in my car, with new standard disks. The brakes are awesome and stood up very well to 80+ laps at the track last week. My stock set up was useless after 30 or so hot laps.