Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-16-2007, 02:40 PM   #41

I have had these same headers on since the first of july and have still not had a CEL, on my 2000.

rule1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 05:51 AM   #42

What did you do about the second O2 sensors? Relocate behind the secondary cats, use a de-fouler, etc?

Patrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by rule1
I have had these same headers on since the first of july and have still not had a CEL, on my 2000.
Cloudsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 10:04 AM   #43

No these headers have 4 o2 bungs. 2 per header. I did not relocate anything.
Old 08-20-2007, 11:17 AM   #44

Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
Quote:
Originally Posted by rule1
How many miles ago was that?

This was from Maxspeed's ebay auction

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Porsche-Boxster-986-2-5L-2-7L-3-2L-Performance-HEADERS_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33631QQihZ011QQ itemZ320148798294QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

"Q- On the 2.7L & 3.2L will these headers trigger C.E.L (Check Engine Light)?

A- As mentionned above we have tested these headerson a 2002 2.7L Boxster and we had the C.E.L light came on 3 times always with the same code that has occured on a 3000 Mile testing , this is caused by the deletion of the primary cats, in return they are noticeable power gains and improved sound. So yes on the 2.7L and 3.2L the C.E.L will possibly come on.

Q-What can be done to resolve the C.E.L ?

A- Two things can be done, either you purchase a Scanner to erase the light when it comes on. Thats what I do I purchased a nice scanner online and its a great tool to have. Or you will need to relocate the 2nd O2 sensor right after the 2nd set of cats that also involves extending the wiring on the O2 sensors. This is the permanent solution. We can help you with this solution just ask we have the O2 weld sensor bungs to relocate.

Q- How much Hp/Torque Gains?

A- We will do our best to do a Dyno run soon we will post results as soon as we have then, we expect a 10-15HP gain with these headers, thats our opinion not a fact. "

Wow,those aren't the answers you want to hear about a product.
Old 08-20-2007, 02:44 PM   #45

Again go to maxspeeds full exhaust ad for the dyno results. I have put about 2000 miles since the install and no CEL. I have muffler,headers,and EVO intake and pulled 209 HP to the rear wheels on Imagine Auto's dyno.
Old 08-20-2007, 02:51 PM   #46

Are you Jarret R of MO that's in the pic?
Old 08-20-2007, 02:59 PM   #47

Yes, thats my white boxster.
Old 08-20-2007, 08:03 PM   #48

4 bungs in a non catted header do nothing for you. The engine ECU cares about the first set, as it uses that to control the fuel mixture going into the engine. The second set are there for OBD II diagnostics to detect catalytic failure (or in this case, cat removal). This is why you should get a CEL if you simply plug all 4 into the non catted header. You can possibly get by with a spark plug defouler, which moves the tip of the O2 sensor out of the exhaust flow somewhat and on some cars will cause the secondary O2s to read "normal" as if they are seeing catalyzed exhaust.

Relocating the secondary set to after the secondary cats may work, but you are going to change the impedance of the circuit with the added wiring. In my case, I also do not have secondary cats as I have the FabSpeed system.

I am VERY surprised you have not gotten a CEL on your car yet.

Patrick
Cloudsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 08:12 PM   #49
blkboxster

i have a 99, will i ever receive A CEL, from adding after market headers??
Old 08-20-2007, 08:22 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by blkboxster
i have a 99, will i ever receive A CEL, from adding after market headers??
Dude don't buy them yet,they just released the headers a couple of months ago and who knows what kind of issues you could have with them.

I don't like how they gave a 'one size fits all' idea for the headers,that's half assing it. Most vendors sell a non e-gas and e-gas set of headers separately.
Old 08-20-2007, 08:27 PM   #51
blkboxster

ok, thanks for the info, tell me whenever you find a good company that makes it for the 2.5's

thanks
Old 08-20-2007, 08:50 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwm750
4 bungs in a non catted header do nothing for you. The engine ECU cares about the first set, as it uses that to control the fuel mixture going into the engine. The second set are there for OBD II diagnostics to detect catalytic failure (or in this case, cat removal). This is why you should get a CEL if you simply plug all 4 into the non catted header. You can possibly get by with a spark plug defouler, which moves the tip of the O2 sensor out of the exhaust flow somewhat and on some cars will cause the secondary O2s to read "normal" as if they are seeing catalyzed exhaust.

Relocating the secondary set to after the secondary cats may work, but you are going to change the impedance of the circuit with the added wiring. In my case, I also do not have secondary cats as I have the FabSpeed system.

I am VERY surprised you have not gotten a CEL on your car yet.

Patrick

^ He is right on the $$$. The only header going on my car is the faspeed with the integrated cats. Hey, they are expensive, but I don't want to have to clear a code every other day either.
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 09:22 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by blkboxster
ok, thanks for the info, tell me whenever you find a good company that makes it for the 2.5's

thanks
The company Turbowerx has a header set up for the 2.5L that are supposed to be great!
I don't know if their dyno gains are accurate but if so them the headers are stupid good. Just on the 2.5L that gained +25hp,nothing to sneeze at!

Dyno Graph
http://turbowerx.com/external_pictures/986_Header_dyno_txt.jpg

2.5/2.7/3.2L headers
http://turbowerx.com/Products/986_Headers/986_Headers.html

I honestly think that they cheated on the dyno graph somehow. You would think if they can get a +25hp from them then someone else could get close to that range,perhaps Imagine Auto,Gemballa or Fabspeed, but those only gain around +10-13hp.
Old 08-21-2007, 08:39 AM   #54

You can be as suprised as you want!!! I honestly have not had a CEL.[Nello] the owner of maxspeed has had more than one not including me to report no CEL.
Old 08-22-2007, 12:34 AM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkwatt
Dude don't buy them yet,they just released the headers a couple of months ago and who knows what kind of issues you could have with them.

I don't like how they gave a 'one size fits all' idea for the headers,that's half assing it. Most vendors sell a non e-gas and e-gas set of headers separately.
I was hoping to get a little more midrange and slight top end increase from these headers. These definitely gains to be made by looking at the tiny unequal length factory pipes.
panameras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 05:47 AM   #56

My baseline dyno graph

this was dynoed when the car was completely stock. done in 4th gear. didn't bother to open up the engine compartment thus no rpm readings.

as you can see at higher speed(=rpm) there are many inconsistent dips on the graph this is where I expect an aftermarket headers would improve over stock headers. but interested to know what other explainations you may have for the "dips"? knocking?

Old 08-26-2007, 04:45 AM   #57

Finally sound file!

Finally got these headers installed. Have to say I LIKE THEM As far as fitment goes it was quite straight forwards sits perfectly underneath the engine and looks good too (like what the car should have had coming from Porsche, compare to the strange looking factory items). Not much hassle getting them aligned with the existing system so they were well designed but also thanks to the midship horizontal engine layout. I could have done it myself but got a workshop to do it anyway since it takes half the time on a hoist.

Let me know what you think

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NWysMofc5R4