Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-26-2004, 03:50 PM   #1
Forum Contributor

97 Boxster Air Compressor Number

Hello,

I have done all of the searching, but have been unable to find the part number for the ac compressor. Mine is bad and I may have one that I can get if the part numbers match. Thanks in advance.

92 968 - Husband's Car
Boxstergirl77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2004, 04:39 PM   #2

Can I ask ... how do you know it is bad.
mrmickeymouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2004, 04:45 PM   #3

The air is hot? See how he has to park under a tree?
Old 07-27-2004, 07:24 AM   #4

Send a message via AIM to Subanez
Did you have it checked out by someone who is certified? Chances are that person will have all the information you need for ordering another one if yours is really shot.

Or you can call your friendly neighborhood Porsche dealership/service department and ask what the part number would be.

"I ran until my muscles burned and my veins pumped battery acid. And then I ran some more." -Fight Club
Subanez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2004, 01:18 PM   #5
Forum Contributor

We know it is shot. If the air is turned off in the auto climate control there is the sound of the clutch not completely disengaging and then there can be some false signals sent to the ECU causing engine run problems. Once the car shut off with the air off and it was humid and a little sprinkly out after we started from a stop sign. Also, the air is warm.
92 968 - Husband's Car
Old 07-27-2004, 01:38 PM   #6

I don't mean to argue the point, I have never heard of an A/C compressor going out on the Boxster.

I believe you may have a compressor clutch problem. I would get a second opinion.

I do not know of any A/C compressor's that would make your engine run bad, it may drag the engine down if the compressor was shot; but not make the engine run bad.

The clutch being bad would either not engage or stay engaged, could grind/rubbing noise also.

You would need a mechanic listen to the compressor run and see if it is bad i.e. bad bearings etc...

How does the engine run when you leave the automatic climate off.

Have you had it checked with a PST2, you may have two problems.

It almost sounds like the idler pulley is going out and dragging the belt.
Old 07-27-2004, 03:52 PM   #7
Forum Contributor

Quote:
Originally posted by JonnyBGood
The air is hot? See how he has to park under a tree?
Yes, the air is hot. But first, the name is BoxsterGIRL.... not a he. And I was not parked under a tree, I was autoxing and there was shade in that part of the course. My car is driven, not parked.
92 968 - Husband's Car
Old 07-27-2004, 03:56 PM   #8
Forum Contributor

Quote:
Originally posted by mrmickeymouse
I don't mean to argue the point, I have never heard of an A/C compressor going out on the Boxster.

I believe you may have a compressor clutch problem. I would get a second opinion.

I do not know of any A/C compressor's that would make your engine run bad, it may drag the engine down if the compressor was shot; but not make the engine run bad.

The clutch being bad would either not engage or stay engaged, could grind/rubbing noise also.

You would need a mechanic listen to the compressor run and see if it is bad i.e. bad bearings etc...

How does the engine run when you leave the automatic climate off.

Have you had it checked with a PST2, you may have two problems.

It almost sounds like the idler pulley is going out and dragging the belt.
I understand what you are trying to say, but we are mechanics ourselves performing all of the work on our cars ourselves. The noise is definitely a compressor grinding noise when the auto climate is off. Not a slipping belt screach or grinding clutch. The clutch is a possible culprit, but we have a possible free replacement if the part numbers match, hence the point of asking in the beginning of this thread for the PET number of a 97 Boxster AC compressor. Thanks for your reply, does anyone have the PET number?
92 968 - Husband's Car
Old 07-27-2004, 08:51 PM   #9

I found two 996 126 011 51,52
Old 07-29-2004, 04:43 PM   #10
Forum Contributor

Thank you for all your help. I found the number and it does not match. I am going to have a few of my porsche friends listen to it and see what they say. Your input will help There is no way I can afford to take it to Porsche. I had my top break and Porsche said it would be 800 dollars and not to touch it. We found out it was a 60 dollar part and fixed it. Tonight I am putting in new racing seats for the track. I am having alot of fun with my new car
92 968 - Husband's Car
Old 07-30-2004, 09:46 AM   #11

The current part number is the one that ends in 52. Porsche changes part numbers all the time. I have the current part list, not one from 1997 so I cannot tell you what the part number was in 1997. The parts department can take a part number and search the history, telling you what were the former and current part numbers.

Tool Pants is offline   Reply With Quote