Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-21-2007, 03:36 PM   #1

RTS rack ... and 350Z comparo

I am a former 350Z owner. I have have a deep passion for cycling, surfing and sports cars. I bought my Z because at the time, it was one of the only real sports cars that you could fit a roof rack to (Saris). Truth be told, there's a reason the real rack companies (Yakima & Thule) don't make one - a rack on a Z is a disaster waiting to happen. Long story short - my Saris rack ripped the trim pieces off my roof at 65mph with my bike on it. Not good. I was no longer able to transport my toys, so I fixed the roof and sold the car.

BTW, I own a condo in the city with ONE parking spot, so keeping the Z and buying a beater truck was my first choice, but not an option.

So here I am a year later with a Mazda 6 and SORELY missing my Z. I've always had a tremendous respect for Porsche and now I come to find that with the RTS rack, the Boxster is probably my best option for a TRUE sports car that will allow me to get my board to the beach.

So here's my question - Is there anything I need to know about this rack that might not be obvious (fitment, availability...). I've heard enough about the noise - and I can live with that if that's the biggest con. I am looking at '04-'05 Boxsters - really not loking to spend the money on an "S" if I don't have to.

Also, any chance there are previous Z owners on here that can help give me an idea of what to expect compared to what I left?? Any input is helpful.
Thanks.

tricked919 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2007, 08:06 PM   #2

tricked,

Welcome to the forum. Here is a good website about the RTS :

http://www.rahul.net/dennisp/boxster/boxster-rts.shtml

Also, I gotta ask, what in the world do you need a surfboard for in Tampa ? Is it really possible to surf in the Gulf of Mexico ? I know Kelly Slater was from Florida, but I think he was from the East coast

( I lived in Tarpon Springs 3rd - 8th grade and San Diego 9th - 12th ( Mission Beach rocks ! ). I try and make it back once a year to surf, but I didn't make it last year and probably won't make it this year either )

But seriously, can you really surf in Tampa ?

Thanks,

Nick

1999 986 ( Black )
1998 MB C280 ( Black )
1999 BMW K1200RS ( Yellow )
2005 Audi A4 ( Red )
NickCats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 04:56 AM   #3

...actually, I make regular trips to the east coast. You're right Gulf coast surf is non-existent. Occasionally we get a winter cold front that brings in some wind-blown "big" surf, but it's rare.

Yeah - the east coast trek is more reason to have a proper rack. If it was a matter of heading over to St.Pete, I'd drop the top and set it in the pass seat.

tricked919 is offline   Reply With Quote