View Single Post
Old 07-21-2007, 03:36 PM   #1
tricked919

RTS rack ... and 350Z comparo

I am a former 350Z owner. I have have a deep passion for cycling, surfing and sports cars. I bought my Z because at the time, it was one of the only real sports cars that you could fit a roof rack to (Saris). Truth be told, there's a reason the real rack companies (Yakima & Thule) don't make one - a rack on a Z is a disaster waiting to happen. Long story short - my Saris rack ripped the trim pieces off my roof at 65mph with my bike on it. Not good. I was no longer able to transport my toys, so I fixed the roof and sold the car.

BTW, I own a condo in the city with ONE parking spot, so keeping the Z and buying a beater truck was my first choice, but not an option.

So here I am a year later with a Mazda 6 and SORELY missing my Z. I've always had a tremendous respect for Porsche and now I come to find that with the RTS rack, the Boxster is probably my best option for a TRUE sports car that will allow me to get my board to the beach.

So here's my question - Is there anything I need to know about this rack that might not be obvious (fitment, availability...). I've heard enough about the noise - and I can live with that if that's the biggest con. I am looking at '04-'05 Boxsters - really not loking to spend the money on an "S" if I don't have to.

Also, any chance there are previous Z owners on here that can help give me an idea of what to expect compared to what I left?? Any input is helpful.
Thanks.
tricked919 is offline   Reply With Quote