Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-20-2007, 09:15 PM   #1

Tip button located on shifter?

Just got my first tip. Bought my first 911 in 1968 Love the tip on this Boxster. Would love to have a third button on the shifter. Anyone heard of such a mod

Sid sgarwood@bellsouth.net

Sid G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 10:46 AM   #2

Sid, I have an '02 with Tip and it has a button on each side of the steering wheel. Where would you put a third button and for what purpose?

AKL
Allen K. Littlefield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 07:39 AM   #3

Don't know about Sid's reasons, but I have sometimes wished that the Tip shifter had the +/- shift feature that some other cars have, in addition to the buttons on the steering wheel.
The only drawback to the buttons is that in tight corners, where you have to paddle your way around the corner, it is easy to lose contact with the buttons.
I know all the bs about downshift before you get to the corner not during it, but it would still be nice to be able to grab a downshift in manual mode on the shifter instead of the buttons.
Ronzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007, 06:18 PM   #4

Smile What about paddles?

I likewise at times find the small steering wheel buttons inconvenient, however enjoy the idea of having both hands available for steering rather than one on the console shifter.
I wonder if anybody has adapted small paddles to fit onto the buttons which I believe would be a great improvement?

Cheers,
Glenn
insatiable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007, 08:07 PM   #5

Your car's ECU will actually not let you shift during times of high lateral G loads... a downshift from 3 to 2, in the middle of a turn at 45 mph could and most likely would lead to Uh Oh I just messed up.

1987 928 S4 white on red and... dead
2004 Chevy Surburban... drinks gas like its cheap or something
easyc is offline   Reply With Quote