Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-29-2007, 10:29 AM   #1

Torque Wrench? SK v. Craftsman

I've got a store credit for Sears and I've got a good deal on an SK Torque wrench.
They will be both be about the same price. I'm leaning towards the Craftsman since you get free calibration (i think). But I hate going to Sears.

BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 03:27 PM   #2

I once owned a Craftsman torque wrench and had no complaints about it.... never used an SK so have no idea about them. My garage got broken into and bought a click type Snap-on as a replacement. I'd go with the Sear unit.
wvicary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 06:30 AM   #3

Garage
Depends on which wrench you're considering

The last craftsman torque wrench I bought had a plastic locking ring--which cracked after a year or so-- and could not be fixed by Sears. When I asked about calibrating they said -huh? The product had a one year warranty.

I replaced it with a Husky from Home Depot--about $70--the 1/2" drive version. Lifetime warranty and calibration is available. A very solid unit compared with the Craftsman.
MikenOH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 06:36 AM   #4
Pat

My Craftsman broke after a year also. Normally I like buying tools at Sears, but not torque wrenches. The same wrench is sold by Home Depot, but is marketed under a different name. It comes with a lifetime warranty, which is rare for that tool.
Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 05:31 AM   #5

I'd suggest getting Precision Instruments unit. They are the ones Snap On sells (for a lot more than with the Precision name on it). They are a split beam design which means that you do not have to lower the torque setting to relieve pressure on the spring when you are done. This is what causes most torque wrenchs to become inaccurate. Also, they are 100% metal so they are not going to break.
viperbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 08:43 AM   #6

I have about 10 torque wrenches. Everything from CDI/Snap-On to Husky. They all do the job.

There is a Craftsman version I do not like. The one mentioned by MikenOH with the plastic locking ring. This is a copy of an old style Snap-On, but Snap-On used a metal locking ring. This plastic locking ring can break. I have seen a broken one still in the package in the store - but I suspect it had been dropped.

I do not know if Craftsman even still has this style. I'll have to look at my Sears Tool catalog when I get a chance.

SK is a good brand. It is now owned by Facom and SK has become the consumer line. I'm pretty sure SK has a metal locking ring.

Tool Pants is offline   Reply With Quote