Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-28-2007, 01:04 PM   #1

Stebro is on!

Daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaamn this baby sounds gnarly! Fit and finish was great, looks great on the car. At idle you can tell this baby is going to make some noise. Its pretty mellow until about 2200 RPM, then it brings the noise. It sounds killer while excelerating, or anything over about 3K. Between 2200 and 2800 it has a definite frequency it hits, but i would not call it droning, I would call it a deep throaty (sounds kind of naughty) frequency. When you get up to 5k, you want to keep it there because it sounds phenominal!. Then you put the top down and you think you are at the track! Any way, here are a few pictures to go with my yammering. I didn't weight the two, but I would say this drops a good 20 - 30 lbs from the stock unit. I just realised the picture of the entire back of the car had too much shade on it so you can't tell the exhaust is even on there, but it really does look good on the car.

Old 06-28-2007, 01:13 PM   #2
blkboxster

Quote:
Originally Posted by P-DUB
Daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaamn this baby sounds gnarly! Fit and finish was great, looks great on the car. At idle you can tell this baby is going to make some noise. Its pretty mellow until about 2200 RPM, then it brings the noise. It sounds killer while excelerating, or anything over about 3K. Between 2200 and 2800 it has a definite frequency it hits, but i would not call it droning, I would call it a deep throaty (sounds kind of naughty) frequency. When you get up to 5k, you want to keep it there because it sounds phenominal!. Then you put the top down and you think you are at the track! Any way, here are a few pictures to go with my yammering. I didn't weight the two, but I would say this drops a good 20 - 30 lbs from the stock unit. I just realised the picture of the entire back of the car had too much shade on it so you can't tell the exhaust is even on there, but it really does look good on the car.
any sound clips, do you feel any power gains?
Old 06-28-2007, 01:18 PM   #3

No sound clips yet, I will have to employ my wife to see if she can help me on that. The ear dyno tells me I gained about 86HP, but the but dyno doesn't know as my wife drives it most of the time. I am sure it did something, and it revs alot easier and free'r so over all I would give it two thumbs up unless this is your dailey driver and you are in it for a hour at a time. It might be too loud for that?
Old 06-28-2007, 02:07 PM   #4
boggtown

Dang, those things are so expensive.
Old 06-28-2007, 02:16 PM   #5

The question now is, will it pass inspection? It still looks like 2 juice cans put together. I think I could make one of those just by going to Pepboys and welding together a few parts.
porsche986spyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 02:24 PM   #6

Should be fine, all the cats are still on, and it's below 95DB, I think I am in the clear. As far as the looks, you only see the tips when it's on, so I think it looks better than the others where you see the can hanging down when they are installed. Of course, if I had one of those, I would figure out a way to describe it so that was a plus! But I don't. Oh, and I also didn't pay $975 for it either, it is after all a best offer auction! Again, two thumbs up, but that's only one mans thumbs so take them with a grain of salt, and a slice of lime!
Old 06-28-2007, 02:29 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by P-DUB
Oh, and I also didn't pay $975 for it either, it is after all a best offer auction!
So how much did you pay?
porsche986spyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 02:37 PM   #8

I swore a blood oath to Dan that I wouldn't spill, but it's worth making an offer!
Old 06-28-2007, 03:03 PM   #9
boggtown

Nice, well when you get a clip make sure its clear. All of my sound clips sound like mud
Old 06-28-2007, 03:49 PM   #10

Send a message via AIM to djomlas
Quote:
Originally Posted by porsche986spyder
The question now is, will it pass inspection? It still looks like 2 juice cans put together. I think I could make one of those just by going to Pepboys and welding together a few parts.
its past cats, so its just a noise level, nothign else.
you can even go straight pipes and still pass
exhaust cutouts::EVOcoldair intake::OEM smoked tails & sidemarkers::

colormatched bumperettes::Top Speed Pro-1 exhaust::
my cardomain/pictures page
djomlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 05:32 PM   #11

It looks pretty sick! Are the tips polished? Or just plain stainless...
I think the stainless would be nice once they get all burned and blacked out from the
exhaust gases!
AUDIOGUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 05:50 PM   #12

anyone know how this compares to the GHL or others?
Atari-style PCM Navigation
OEM Carrera Lights
B&M clone short shifter
Crappy stereo
HIFI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 07:58 PM   #13

The tips are polished double wall, and look nice. The jury is back and the verdict is in. I made my wife go take it for a drive and I listened when she left, anf it sounds killer! She came back and says it's faster or quicker or feels that way to her. It's a shame her Jeep sounds better and will stomp all over it, but it's two completely different worlds!
Old 07-02-2007, 05:30 AM   #14

OK, I got to spend some time with this thing on Saturday. We went on the local PCA run Saturday morning. Top down spirited driving, this thing sounds terrific. Even the different people that were behinds said it sounded great. Let me make one thing clear, this pipe is not for sissy's! Top up highway driving in tough to take for any length of time. Short trips of 30 miles or less of freeway running at less than 75MPH are about all you want to do. I normally drive faster than that, so it doesn't bother me too much. We took a video in the car, and then one up me running past at full blast, but i don't have it on my computer yet. Anyway, I still like it, but it wouldn't be my choice for a freeway car.
Old 07-02-2007, 11:20 AM   #15

P Dub-

That thing definitely looks loud and I'm glad you like it. I hope you continue to like it over time.

I'm sure it is lighter than stock, but 20-30 pounds sounds a little aggressive. I think the stock system is about 35 lbs. total if my memory serves. Anyway, anything lighter is better, especially on the extreme rear end of the car.

1989 911 Cabriolet
Grand Prix White/Black

Stock except:
Turbo 7x9 Fuchs

SOLD!
2002 986S
Seal Gray/Black
Painted Center Console
18" Turbo Twists with rear spacers
Tequipment aluminum shift knob
Colored center caps
De-ambered tail lights/side markers

Stock except:
B&B catback exhaust

http://i29.tinypic.com/i6crck.jpg
jwilson95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 06:22 AM   #16

Well, I have a clip I will try to post, but it seems to echo between the buildings. Also, my stock exhasut is out and it weight about 50lbs, so I would say the Stebro is about 35 - 40lbs lighter, it weighs less than 9lbs! The clip sucks and I don't know if this posting will work, but here it goes.
Old 07-03-2007, 06:29 AM   #17

Send a message via MSN to CJ_Boxster
Looks like it didnt post, i dont think the attachment system here accepts sound clips, you might have to upload it to some kind of host that accepts audio and then give us the link to it afterwards. I cant want to hear!

Carlos J Cazares

FastForward Performance
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a1...er/newsig1.jpg
CJ_Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 06:37 AM   #18

It didn't post, that sucks ever worse than the clip itself!
Old 07-03-2007, 06:39 AM   #19

I don't have the time or technology to make that happen. I am over it. If you want to hear it, I guess I can e-mail you the clip?
Old 07-03-2007, 08:25 AM   #20
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
When I swapped out my OEM exhaust for my Dansk, I weighed both. The OEM muffler was 28 lbs, and my Dansk was 26 lbs. When I weighed them I did not include the u-pipes or any clamps or the bolts used to secure them...I weighed only the muffler itself.

I am sure, just from looking at the Stebro, that you're saving a good amount of weight though. I'd guess your Stebro is about 12 lbs, so a savings of about 16 lbs, imo.

Previous: 01 Boxster in Arctic Silver, 86 944 in Guards Red
Boxtaboy is offline   Reply With Quote