Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-30-2007, 05:18 AM   #21

no there was no light. Wierd, but i drove it anothr 60 miles to work today and its back to normal. I definatly didnt instal the k&n wrong i made sure of that. my guess is like people said too much oil.

danrhinofightteam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 07:17 AM   #22

I'm pretty much on the fence on this issue. Coming from a motorcycle racing background (both motocross and roadracing) I'm very familiar with foam based filters and their efficiency. However, if you look at most good race teams, they still either swap the air filter for a clean one every race, or go through multiple "filter skins" which are basically a piece of oiled cotton that goes over the filter to catch the heavy stuff in the air. Key difference between my Honda CRF450R motocross bike and my Boxster? No MAF in the dirt bike.

I'm also very familiar with K&N filters, and their widespread use in motor racing. Unfortunately, the simple laws of physics apply here, and even K&N will tell you if you ask them that while their filters do, in fact, flow more air, they also flow more dirt. This has been verified by a few independent test labs to be the case as well. Race teams go through motors on a very frequent basis, so engine longevity isn't a concern to them. Performance is.

What it comes down to in my opinion, is what do you really think you gain by running an aftermarket filter in these cars? MAYBE a horsepower or two? I don't know about you guys, but on my street cars, especially a Porsche (which we all know does not have a cheap engine replacement plan) I am rather concerned about engine longevity and doing anything I can (within reason) to keep engine wear down. So why would you knowingly install a device into the car, who's purpose is to filter dirt from incoming air which is to be used in internal combustion, when it has been proven to also let in more dirt, while on the upside gains MAYBE a horsepower or two?

There unfortunately aren't easy ways to get more power out of these cars, and if you bought your Boxster to win stop light races, you bought the wrong car. I have an exhaust on my car for the purpose of sound only (which maybe improved throttle response a hair), and I de-snorked my car for the purpose of sound as well (again, I'm not sold on the "dyno proven" 3HP gain from that, and at the end of the day, don't really care either). I just don't see the point of risking MAF damage, and what is pretty much guaranteed increased engine wear by running an aftermarket filter in a car like this for no appreciable gains.

My advice, stick with the stock filter and airbox.

Just my $.02.

Patrick
Cloudsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 10:24 AM   #23

Well it finally happned, the cel came on. Had it scaned, MAf. Im gonna repalce it and burn that k&n...
danrhinofightteam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 11:54 AM   #24

Does the EVO cold air intake , can cause similar damage?
motoadve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 12:18 PM   #25

Send a message via MSN to CJ_Boxster
Quote:
Originally Posted by danrhinofightteam
Well it finally happned, the cel came on. Had it scaned, MAf. Im gonna repalce it and burn that k&n...

clean it first.

Carlos J Cazares

FastForward Performance
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a1...er/newsig1.jpg
CJ_Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote