Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-03-2007, 03:59 PM   #1

Boxster S Seats

I have a 2000 Boxster S w/ partial power seats that are a little worn. I was thinking of replacing them with either partial or full power seats w/ heat that are in better condition. Does anyone know if the existing wiring will work or will I need to replace the wiring as well. There are two switches in front of the window switches and I assume these would be for the heat. Any answers appreciated. Thanks!
Pete

PBNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 04:11 PM   #2
bmussatti

PBNY, these would rock!:

http://e-partssales.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=P&Product_Code=gt3seats&Category_Code=986sport

Look for better pri$ing to.
Old 06-03-2007, 06:24 PM   #3

I bought full power seats for my old boxster. The passenger side plugs right in and works great. The driver's side needed a LOT of electronics, so I took the foam and leather off it and put it on my original seat frame. They both look nice and new, but one is full power and the other is partial power (back is electric, fore-aft is manual).

If you don't like this idea, then you'll have to buy the wiring harness and do a lot of work to "upgrade" your boxster with seat memory, etc.

Mine are heated too... but I've not taken the time to hook that up.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 08:53 PM   #4

As far as I know, the power should be there for the electrical adjustments, it may involve swapping some plugs but power should be there to power the seat motors.

Now, the seat heating function is a bit more complicated. You will have to build a whole new harness to wire in the seats, the regulators, and the relayed switches and get power off the fuse box.

Definitely a worthwhile upgrade if you're in need of new seats.

Patrick
Cloudsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 09:05 PM   #5

The power is indeed there, and the plug in the floorboard plugs right into the seat, but it will not operate.

After quite a bit of examination, I came to the conclusion that it was going to be a LOT of work rewiring the seat controls to work with each of the motors without the harness and buttons for seat memory. I am sure it can be done, but I would not reduce the process to simply swapping some plugs around. That seat is one mass of control boxes and wires, in addition to numerous plugs.

I still have both seats, the fully electric driver's side and the old manual passenger seat and I will endeavor to take pix of both of the bottoms and post the pix here so you can see what I mean.

I did read over on Renntech that someone who was really handy with a soldering iron and was well versed in electronics did frankenstien a seat like mine to work in a non-seat memory boxster, but it appeared that he really did a lot of work.

After writing this post, I'm now wondering if I should take some time to try and get it to work! I still have it and could do it over the summer months. Hmmmm.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 02:18 PM   #6

Seats

Thanks to all that responded. Just a few more questions on the same subject. For those that have heated seats, how well do they work? I have had a few cars with this option and some provided alot of heat while others not so much. Also, I saw a leather kit listed on Ebay specifically for the Boxster and has anyone had any experience with this or any other kit to redo worn seats. Thanks again for your responses!
PBNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 02:22 PM   #7

Send a message via Yahoo to Chills
I have factory heated seats and they have 2 settings. I like to call them "hot" and "nuclear." In the dead of Chicago winter I can only use the lower setting. My Sig-o, however, likes the high setting.

It's not about the summit, it's about the climb.

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q46/chills1138/2.jpg
Chills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 02:31 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmussatti
Those aren't electrical at all.
porsche986spyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 02:19 PM   #9

No way on earth I would pay 3 grand for those non electric non heated seats. Yea right!
Supercharged Viper SRT-10 800 HP Special Edition #49 of #50 (current)
Ferrari 360 Spider
Lamborghini Diablo VT Roadster
911 Cab
Boxster S (current)
08 Hummer H2 (current)
BMW Z3 (current)

Limos in Ohio and PA - First Class Limo Columbus Limos

http://pteam.net/avatar3.jpg
my car collection *Porschephiles agree, Desnorkify your Porsche!*
pteam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2007, 08:18 AM   #10

Send a message via AIM to djomlas
how often do you move your set around? i moved mine maybe 3 tims to clean up behind them and thats it, its not like you have to keep moving them back and forth for someone to get behind it to gt to back seats.
in this car i think its pointless, just more electrical stuff to go bad IMHO
i have mine in one position and thats there it stays, electric or not

exhaust cutouts::EVOcoldair intake::OEM smoked tails & sidemarkers::

colormatched bumperettes::Top Speed Pro-1 exhaust::
my cardomain/pictures page
djomlas is offline   Reply With Quote