Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-22-2007, 10:39 AM   #1

Time for a new clutch apparently....

So... a few days ago while driving, while leaving a stoplight from a normal launch, the clutch in my 02 S 6-speed suddenly got significantly lighter, then returned to normal for a bit, then got light again. My first thought was that somehow it needed to be bled, and was planning to do that today or tomorrow. Well, while driving the car today, it started slipping, and seemed to get progressively worse on the way home (only a few miles) to park it until I can figure out what to do with this.

Car has 70k of primarily highway miles on it, and no service history of a clutch replacement. Given that, I assume it could certainly well be due. Obviously, if the transaxle is coming off the car to look at things I'm certainly not going to put it back together without a new clutch, so now the question is what to put back in there.

Given the relatively quick nature that this problem developed, and that it happened during normal street driving (no hard launches and smooth shifts), I am concerned that perhaps the RMS blew, covering the clutch in oil, which would seem to explain the quick nature that this developed. I have looked under the car however, and the cases are dry.

Related to that, assuming that once apart, all the seals are dry, is it best to go on the assumption that "if its not leaking dont touch it" or "while its apart, good idea to do RMS, IMS, etc?"

Once past that, I'm very interested in doing a lightweight, single mass flywheel. I have to somewhat assume that the stock dual mass isnt in the greatest of shape after this, and if I'm replacing it I'd just as soon go lightweight single mass. I know many have done the stock replacement, or the Sachs "normal" clutch, but what is available as far sport clutches go? I know Sachs makes a "sport race" clutch for the 944's, but I dont know whats available for the 986s.

Any input you could give would greatly be appreciated.

Patrick

Cloudsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 04:23 PM   #2

Did some homework this afternoon, and the lightweight single mass flywheel is only $300 more than a new dual mass, and that includes the new pilot bearing required, new thrust, and the various fasteners to install it, so that to me is a no brainer.

As to the clutch, apparently, the Sachs replacement is already upgraded from Porsche factory spec, so I"m told theres no need to go to a Sport Clutch, short of having a turbocharged or blown motor.

Just wanted I wanted to deal with.....

Patrick
Old 05-22-2007, 04:37 PM   #3

Hey Patrick-

I'd be interested in your write up/impression of the lightweight flywheel.

I'm definitely doing this at new clutch time on mine if the feedback is positive from the group.

My buddy did his on his 993 and loves it. I know it is a completely different layout/setup, but he loves the quicker revving motor. You have to be more diligent about starting out from a dead stop and may stall it a few times at first. It is pretty flat here in VA, so I'm not worried about it too much.

Good luck,

Jeff :dance:
jwilson95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 04:59 PM   #4

I'm very much looking forward to the light flywheel, and will absolutely post back here with results.

If anyone can get me info on any other clutch options besides the Sachs I would really appreciate that, however.

Patrick
Old 05-23-2007, 04:57 AM   #5

I think if my RMS wasn't leaking I would just leave well enough alone.
But what is so important about driving faster than anyone else?
Lots of people go through life doing things badly. Racing's important to men who do it well.
When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting.
Porschekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 10:43 AM   #6

My thinking as well regardinig the RMS.

Patrick
Old 06-07-2007, 06:16 PM   #7

New clutch is in! Lightweight flywheel, Sachs sport clutch, new RMS, clutch slave, and pilot and throw out bearings.

Light flywheel is an amazing upgrade to this car! Motor is so much more rev happy now, making for fantastic rev matched downshifts.

Apparently my RMS was just starting to seep, so it was almost perfect timing on doing all this work. Car is very happy now though, and I would absolutely recommend the light flywheel to anyone who wants to get rid of the typical German heavy flywheel feeling.

Patrick
Old 06-08-2007, 07:19 AM   #8

A Happy Boxster is a good thing to have!

Sounds like the clutch and flywheel upgrade is a good thing to do! Maybe I'll look into the same thing when I get around to having to replace the clutch. I'm at 46k miles now, and the clutch is fine. Maybe in couple years it'll be due.

http://www.zoto.com/frayadjacent/img...f27a-4a399.jpg <---- my car. ^ crap I post.

"The existence of the flamethrower is evidence that someone, somewhere once said 'I want to set those people over there on fire, but I don't want to have to walk over there to do it.'"
FrayAdjacent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 08:00 AM   #9

Send a message via AIM to TriGem2k
Where did you pick up the lightweight flywheel? What brand is it? What did total parts cost you for the repairs?

Thanks,
James
-Side Skirts
-Gemballa Exhuast and Cats
-O.Z. Racing 18" Wheels
--18X8.5Front 18X10 Rears
-Michilen PS Tires 225/40/18 & 285/30/18
-5mm Rear Spacers
-Porsche Door Sills
-H&R Springs
-Powerflow Intake
-B&M Short Shifter
-Pioneer Avic-F90BT Navigation
-Focal Polyglass 165VR3
-Alpine PDX 5 Amp
-Bose OEM Subwoofer & Midrange
-Audio Controld DQXS (DSP)
TriGem2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 08:20 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwm750
New clutch is in! Lightweight flywheel, Sachs sport clutch, new RMS, clutch slave, and pilot and throw out bearings.

Light flywheel is an amazing upgrade to this car! Motor is so much more rev happy now, making for fantastic rev matched downshifts.

Apparently my RMS was just starting to seep, so it was almost perfect timing on doing all this work. Car is very happy now though, and I would absolutely recommend the light flywheel to anyone who wants to get rid of the typical German heavy flywheel feeling.

Patrick
Why didn't you add the LSD(Limited Slip Diferential) while you were at it. Sounds like you definately could afford it with all the service you had done.
porsche986spyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 01:27 PM   #11

i was also wondering what kind of price it ended up costing you as mine started chattering today and I only have 33,000 so maybe a bit of oil is seeping. I was thinking of going to the Fidanaza flywheel as it would be easier to buy everything and get the fly wheel,pressure plate balanced in advance. Also wondering how lmany hours it takes to do this as I may just drop the rear suspension at the same time and install the 030ROW that has been sitting in the garage for a year.
thomschoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 01:39 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomschoon
i was also wondering what kind of price it ended up costing you as mine started chattering today and I only have 33,000 so maybe a bit of oil is seeping. I was thinking of going to the Fidanaza flywheel as it would be easier to buy everything and get the fly wheel,pressure plate balanced in advance. Also wondering how lmany hours it takes to do this as I may just drop the rear suspension at the same time and install the 030ROW that has been sitting in the garage for a year.
Clutch replacement is usually between 8-9hrs. Not a one day job. By the way, after doing some extensive research on clutches before I bought mine, I found out that the High Performance clutches are not made to last as long as the O.E.M. clutches. I gues they are made stricktly for short term track performance and not long term street use. Something to keep in mind.
porsche986spyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 06:16 PM   #13

I have read that the light flywheel has problems with stalling at takeoff and idling slower and stalling.
Who has a light flywheel that can confirm or deny?
James
Pedro rear stabilizer bar, CF strut braces, Maxspeed headers with 100 cell cats, Fabspeed cat bypass pipes, H&R springs with M030 setup, TRG rear links, EVO air intake, B&M Short shift kit, Raby IMS upgrade, Raby underdrive pulley
jhandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 07:57 AM   #14

Labor on a this is a whole shop day for someone who knows what they're doing. I have an Aasco flywheel, which was about $900. I thought of doing the LSD, but from what I understand that requires tearing into the transaxle and I'm still not sure which LSB I'd get, so thats a project for later down the road, likely when/if I do a 3.6 swap. I only did the light flywheel since I was going to have to replace the flywheel anyway, and since the factory dual mass was $650, I ponied up for the lightweight at the time.

As to the flywheel, the car is definitely easier to stall now, as any car with a lightweight flywheel is going to be. Its fine with me as I've driven enough track cars with race clutches/ super light flywheels, but, lets just say I wouldn't consider this a car to teach your girlfriend to drive stick in And yes, when you de-clutch at a stop, esp with the AC on, the revs drop very low until the DME catches it.

We went with the Sachs Sport pressure plate/ friction material. It is from what I'm told, actually longer lasting than factory, and def has a bit more bite than stock. Yes, you are correct though, true race/ sport clutches are not designed for longevity but that does not apply to the Sachs unit.

I will say I am extremely happy with the upgrade.

Patrick
Old 06-09-2007, 12:03 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwilson95
My buddy did his on his 993 and loves it. I know it is a completely different layout/setup, but he loves the quicker revving motor. You have to be more diligent about starting out from a dead stop and may stall it a few times at first.
i had the LWF/RS clutch in my 993, and i loved it. no stalling issues. moving the car short distances (say in a tight parking lot) was challenging, but the car was a blast to drive.
mb986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 02:09 PM   #16

Send a message via AIM to Bisimoto
Patrick,
How much was the clutch kit? I would not mind making a boxster aluminum flywheel, since I manufacture them for other vehicle types. How much would you sell me you old flywheel?
Old 06-11-2007, 07:41 AM   #17

Bisimoto-

Just dropped you a PM

Patrick