View Single Post
Old 05-22-2007, 10:39 AM   #1
Cloudsurfer

Time for a new clutch apparently....

So... a few days ago while driving, while leaving a stoplight from a normal launch, the clutch in my 02 S 6-speed suddenly got significantly lighter, then returned to normal for a bit, then got light again. My first thought was that somehow it needed to be bled, and was planning to do that today or tomorrow. Well, while driving the car today, it started slipping, and seemed to get progressively worse on the way home (only a few miles) to park it until I can figure out what to do with this.

Car has 70k of primarily highway miles on it, and no service history of a clutch replacement. Given that, I assume it could certainly well be due. Obviously, if the transaxle is coming off the car to look at things I'm certainly not going to put it back together without a new clutch, so now the question is what to put back in there.

Given the relatively quick nature that this problem developed, and that it happened during normal street driving (no hard launches and smooth shifts), I am concerned that perhaps the RMS blew, covering the clutch in oil, which would seem to explain the quick nature that this developed. I have looked under the car however, and the cases are dry.

Related to that, assuming that once apart, all the seals are dry, is it best to go on the assumption that "if its not leaking dont touch it" or "while its apart, good idea to do RMS, IMS, etc?"

Once past that, I'm very interested in doing a lightweight, single mass flywheel. I have to somewhat assume that the stock dual mass isnt in the greatest of shape after this, and if I'm replacing it I'd just as soon go lightweight single mass. I know many have done the stock replacement, or the Sachs "normal" clutch, but what is available as far sport clutches go? I know Sachs makes a "sport race" clutch for the 944's, but I dont know whats available for the 986s.

Any input you could give would greatly be appreciated.

Patrick
Cloudsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote