Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-04-2007, 08:31 AM   #1

Disappointed

I bought my 2002 used with 34000 miles. In the year that I have owned the car I have had to replace the alternator and battery, the top broke (not sure if it’s the cables or transmission yet), the ignition switch seems to have a problem, and my keyless entry transmitter needs to be replaced. When you add it all up, the car is probably going to cost me $3000+ in repairs, not to mention normal maintenance such as brakes. Is this typical? Are there any other problems that are waiting to kill me? And when should I start worrying about the clutch?

I am wondering if it’s best just to get rid of the thing. If it weren’t so fun to drive, I would have ditched the car months ago. I would not get close to what I paid, but at least the bleeding would stop…

makler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 08:48 AM   #2

what would you replace the Boxster with?

by the way, what letter does your VIN # start with?
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 09:10 AM   #3

The VIN starts with W.

Not sure what I would get. Probably a small SUV.
Old 06-04-2007, 04:50 PM   #4

but would any other car that cost 20 or so thousand make you feel like a million? mine does and for that i will accept the somewhat high cost of ownership. if you want reliable and bland own a honda civic. you will miss the looks of envy.
aeh123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 05:19 PM   #5
Porscheectomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by makler
I bought my 2002 used with 34000 miles. In the year that I have owned the car I have had to replace the alternator and battery, the top broke (not sure if it’s the cables or transmission yet), the ignition switch seems to have a problem, and my keyless entry transmitter needs to be replaced. When you add it all up, the car is probably going to cost me $3000+ in repairs, not to mention normal maintenance such as brakes. Is this typical? Are there any other problems that are waiting to kill me? And when should I start worrying about the clutch?

I am wondering if it’s best just to get rid of the thing. If it weren’t so fun to drive, I would have ditched the car months ago. I would not get close to what I paid, but at least the bleeding would stop…
These cars aren't for everyone. Selling is a decision that will be up to you.

Also, some of these cars have lived a harder life than others and more things will wear out if it's been abused. You may have one that's going to need more attention than the norm. I would suggest that if you're concerned about the price of repair that you start to work on the car yourself or at the least find a good mechanic who charges reasonable rates.
blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 06:29 PM   #6

Quote:

This is the exact reason many of us try the DIY route. Dealerships will rape your wallet and yet MANY of the problems with the Boxster can be fixed very easily in your garage with basic hand tools and a bit of guts!

Otherwise I would say that yes, many of your problems are fairly typical...and if you DIY would cost only $600 or so to correct. Since your gonna put some money into the car you may as well keep it and enjoy it a bit and get ready to replace your O2 sensors, MAF, coolant reservoir tank, valve cover gaskets, and cv boots next year!
Old 06-08-2007, 10:28 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by xclusivecar
This is the exact reason many of us try the DIY route. Dealerships will rape your wallet and yet MANY of the problems with the Boxster can be fixed very easily in your garage with basic hand tools and a bit of guts!

Otherwise I would say that yes, many of your problems are fairly typical...and if you DIY would cost only $600 or so to correct. Since your gonna put some money into the car you may as well keep it and enjoy it a bit and get ready to replace your O2 sensors, MAF, coolant reservoir tank, valve cover gaskets, and cv boots next year!

Your right. DIY is much cheaper. I just bought the top cables for around $60 for both. The dealer wanted $75.00 each. Oh well, guess I should buy the Bentley book and get to work...
Old 06-08-2007, 11:16 AM   #8

Quote:
Your right. DIY is much cheaper. I just bought the top cables for around $60 for both. The dealer wanted $75.00 each. Oh well, guess I should buy the Bentley book and get to work...
There is also a Haynes manual I think..

Last edited by porsche986spyder; 06-08-2007 at 11:19 AM.
porsche986spyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 06:31 PM   #9

I have a 2002 S with 30000 miles and have had all of the same issues. I got an extended warrenty until 10 years 100000 miles for 2800$ and a 100$ deductable. I dont care if the engine blows.

so far that has been replaced:
2 RMS
Valve cover gaskets three times
Plug tube seals twice
horn
passanger side window motor
complete top
ignition switch
remotes in the keys
rear passanger wheel bering
disks all four (they cracked arond the holes)
alternator
battery

For a total cost of ZERO$$.

If you can spend 50,000$ on a car- then spend the 3000$ more for complete peace of mind.
Just my 2 cents,
James
Pedro rear stabilizer bar, CF strut braces, Maxspeed headers with 100 cell cats, Fabspeed cat bypass pipes, H&R springs with M030 setup, TRG rear links, EVO air intake, B&M Short shift kit, Raby IMS upgrade, Raby underdrive pulley

Last edited by jhandy; 06-08-2007 at 06:45 PM.
jhandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 07:58 PM   #10

I have a 2002 Boxster s that I bought with 39K and in the last 8,000 miles, I've had only one problem, the turn signal lever won't go back to the off position when the turning is done. Maybe someone else fixed all that other stuff before I got it, I don't know. On the bright side, after you've fixed all of those things, you won't have to worry about them anymore and you can just enjoy your car!
Old 06-09-2007, 12:39 AM   #11
boxsterz

jhandy,

That's a smokin deal.
Old 06-10-2007, 06:43 AM   #12

jhandy from whom did you purchase your warranty?
Old 06-10-2007, 01:55 PM   #13

AEH123,
I got the warranty from
Warranty direct.
I consulted the Porsche dealership and asked them who was the best they have dealt with. They said that this outfit pays the fastest and without complaining.

The secret is to buy it before your warranty expires.
That way it is super cheap.

I got bumper to bumper compete coverage with exhaust system rider with 100$ deductible.

The total cost with taxes and such came out to just under 3000.

The coverage pays for itself in just two trips to the dealer.
If the car so much as hiccups, I send it to the dealer. They know that it is covered for anything so they replace everything that even looks like it is broken.

The car is keep in prime running condition for just about 100$ Q 6 months.
You cant beat it. When the car hits 100,000 miles, then I will sell it and it should go for a good sum, it will be dealer repaired and with all documentation.

James
Pedro rear stabilizer bar, CF strut braces, Maxspeed headers with 100 cell cats, Fabspeed cat bypass pipes, H&R springs with M030 setup, TRG rear links, EVO air intake, B&M Short shift kit, Raby IMS upgrade, Raby underdrive pulley
jhandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 02:02 PM   #14

Send a message via AIM to Bisimoto
Quote:
Originally Posted by funster
I have a 2002 Boxster s that I bought with 39K and in the last 8,000 miles, I've had only one problem, the turn signal lever won't go back to the off position when the turning is done. Maybe someone else fixed all that other stuff before I got it, I don't know. On the bright side, after you've fixed all of those things, you won't have to worry about them anymore and you can just enjoy your car!
I had the same problem, and fixed it this past Wednesday myself...together with my ignition switch.

I also repaired my cv boots, and changed the brakes at the same time 3 months ago. I have 36,000 miles on my '01 S.
Old 06-10-2007, 02:28 PM   #15

thanx man appreciate the info. i too purchased an extended warranty. mine is from smart auto warranty and was 3300. my car was out of warranty as it was 10 years old when i purchased it. it only had 8600 miles and i too wanted peace of mind. i dont worry about catastrophic engine failure anymore.....well little bit. just tryin to enjoy the ride and drive the car as it was intended. my warranty isnt bumper to bumper but does cover drive train and electrical as well as suspension.