Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-23-2007, 05:49 AM   #1

How much is she worth???

Well, I recently posted a thread about my car catching on fire, the car is intack however the mid engine compartment area is burnt up, vents are burnt and the rear interior panel is burnt to a crisp. I dont know if the insurance will repair the car or just totalled it "boy i'm about to cry" My baby was a clean 2001 S with only 47k, fully loaded with back up sensors, detailed leather seats with the Porsche logo, direct Porsche upgraded silver pedals, shifter and sound. Also, I upgraded the wheels and tires and the convertible top as well.

I would love to know how much of an estimated lost will it cost the insurance to cover this incident?? Any insurance experts on this site? I may be looking into another purchase but I'm just thinking ahead. Dont know if I could afford it

chgolatin2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 06:40 AM   #2

chgolatin2,

So sorry to hear about your car !

According to Kelly Blue Book :

$20,375 Trade In
$23,230 Private Party
$27,640 Retail

According to Nada :

$21,900 Trade In
$25,200 Retail

According to Edmunds :

$20,536 Trade In
$22,981 Private Party
$25,238 Retail

I have no idea what insurance companies base replacement value on, so take this for what it's worth.

Hope it helps...

Nick

1999 986 ( Black )
1998 MB C280 ( Black )
1999 BMW K1200RS ( Yellow )
2005 Audi A4 ( Red )

Last edited by NickCats; 05-23-2007 at 10:00 AM.
NickCats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 06:53 AM   #3

Wow. Sorry to hear about your fire. How did it happen?

I've always wondered what good a fire extinguisher would do in case of an engine fire on a Boxster. It's takes too long to put the top into service mode and then remove the engine bay covers. Now imagine if the electric top didn't function because of the fire. Then it would take even longer to get to the engine and by then major damage is already done.
2000 Boxster S: 18" Turbo wheels w/color crests, Litronics, Onboard Computer, Traction control, Cruise, Painted rollbar, Leather interior, Aluminum package, headlight washers, Porsche GT3 seats, windstop, Hi Fi six speaker amp package, DSP, CDR 220, Limited Slip, side airbags, BK Rollbar extender.
2000SoCalBoxsterS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 08:57 AM   #4

sorry to hear about your loss....don't worry it'll all work itself out and insurance will take care of it....when my car got stolen they used the nada guide as well as checked what local cars were going for...actually got a settlement more than i expected..
mikes_box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 08:41 PM   #5

If you do get to the point of negotiating insurance settlement, try to push for retail value PLUS sales tax (if that applies in your state). You want to try to get the same amount of money for your settlement as you would have to pay for a like vehicle.

Insurance companies are often very difficult to deal with, but be firm and negotiate for what it will cost you to replace.

Patrick
Cloudsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2007, 07:32 AM   #6

Smile

First, pull your policy and read it.

Then, call your agent and ask lots of questions.

Then, get back to us and we will try to help.

Good luck1

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2007, 09:44 PM   #7

Hate to be a vocabulary/spelling nazi, but after you've spelled it wrong repeatedly...

...the word is

INTACT
–adjective
1. not altered, broken, or impaired; remaining uninjured, sound, or whole; untouched; unblemished: The vase remained intact despite rough handling.
2. not changed or diminished; not influenced or swayed: Despite misfortune, his faith is still intact.

http://www.zoto.com/frayadjacent/img...f27a-4a399.jpg <---- my car. ^ crap I post.

"The existence of the flamethrower is evidence that someone, somewhere once said 'I want to set those people over there on fire, but I don't want to have to walk over there to do it.'"
FrayAdjacent is offline   Reply With Quote