Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-25-2007, 08:15 PM   #1

motor oil level

how much motor oil does the boxster take? I filled 1 quart in and it is full. BTW, I heard that you are not supposed to fill the oil to the top like other cars, or else it will start smoking. Is that true?

n4ally2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 08:36 PM   #2

Not to be rude, but read the owner's manual front to back at least once. You will learn a lot about your car.

Not sure about a 2006 vs. my 2002, so I won't speculate.

Oh yeah, read the owner's manual...

JMW
jwilson95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 09:36 PM   #3

Read the manual already, but it always say fill up to the top line. That was it. nothing about smoking.
Old 04-25-2007, 10:37 PM   #4

idk how much oil your boxster takes, but its def. more than 1 qt.
humara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 10:56 PM   #5

Hi,

You want to fill to the next to Top line.

Filling to the Top Line is an OVERFILL, and the only quantification is that it's 8 oz. over while in fact it could be much more overfull than that. The problem with this is that the Oil can Foam and experience compromised Flow and Heat carrying ability.

The entire Oil system requires 9.5 Qts. with a new Filter. The volume between Marks is about 8 oz. (or 1 Cup), so being down, even by as much as a quart isn't that significant. In Fact, the entire range on the Guage represents 1.5 Litres (or 1.6 US Qts.) so being down a quart is still in the OK Range.

Anything between the 2nd to Top mark and the 2nd to Bottom Mark is the OK range and that's exactly what it means - OK - no need to add.

If you add, you risk overfilling unless you add slowly, but preferably, pre-measure as the Gauge responds slowly to any added Oil, and overfilling is just too easy.

Too many Owners obsess about keeping it at the Top Line (or 2nd to Top Line) and inadvertently overfill the system which is much worse than the level being 1 or 2 Lines down...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99

Last edited by MNBoxster; 04-26-2007 at 07:08 AM.
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 12:43 AM   #6

Thanks Jim. If it is overfilled, should one drain the oil so we don't compromise flow and heating ability? Also, the info on the amount of fluid on each level really helps. Now I know not to dump a quart in all at once.

The user's guide did state how much motor oil the tank holds. However, I wasn't kidding about adding the 1 quart and it was full. On the 06 model, when you start the car, the level of moto oil is shown on the dash broad because there is a sensor in the oil tank. The indicator has 5 bars. Before I added the oil, it showed it is on the first bar, which for anyone who checks their fluid on the car, means add more fluid. In my previous car, the S4, when it is on the last bar, I had to put 3 quarts of oil to get it to the middle of the indicator. So my thinking is that prehaps the old traditional way of showing motor oil in a car, with a dip stick, is what I prefer.
Old 04-26-2007, 04:41 AM   #7

how accurate are the oil level sensors? my oil level indicator on 99 model always shows oil level to be within max and min level but it's always at different place. close to bottom or min level when putting the gas in but almost at max level during other times. not sure if i can trust the sensor.
spark00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 06:19 AM   #8

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by n4ally2
Thanks Jim. If it is overfilled, should one drain the oil so we don't compromise flow and heating ability? Also, the info on the amount of fluid on each level really helps. Now I know not to dump a quart in all at once.

The user's guide did state how much motor oil the tank holds. However, I wasn't kidding about adding the 1 quart and it was full. On the 06 model, when you start the car, the level of moto oil is shown on the dash broad because there is a sensor in the oil tank. The indicator has 5 bars. Before I added the oil, it showed it is on the first bar, which for anyone who checks their fluid on the car, means add more fluid. In my previous car, the S4, when it is on the last bar, I had to put 3 quarts of oil to get it to the middle of the indicator. So my thinking is that prehaps the old traditional way of showing motor oil in a car, with a dip stick, is what I prefer.

Yes, you do not want to ride around with too much oil.

I would start by taking off the oil filter and dumping the oil in the filter.

Then, reinstall the filter and run the car a bit. Then check oil again.

You might have to do this twice to get the oil back to where it should be.

Good luck.

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 07:13 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by spark00
how accurate are the oil level sensors? my oil level indicator on 99 model always shows oil level to be within max and min level but it's always at different place. close to bottom or min level when putting the gas in but almost at max level during other times. not sure if i can trust the sensor.
Hi,

IMHO, they're not all that accurate, others disagree.

But, in any event there are so many conditions which must be met to insure accuracy - Engine OFF, Car on Level Ground (do you carry a Bubble Level with you?), sufficient time to allow Oil to drain, Oil at operating Temperature, etc. that if you're one of the lucky few who has a Dipstick ('97-'03), refer to it when determining when to add and only use the digi-gauge as a convenience...

Old 04-26-2007, 07:23 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNBoxster
Hi,

IMHO, they're not all that accurate, others disagree.

But, in any event there are so many conditions which must be met to insure accuracy - Engine OFF, Car on Level Ground (do you carry a Bubble Level with you?), sufficient time to allow Oil to drain, Oil at operating Temperature, etc. that if you're one of the lucky few who has a Dipstick ('97-'03), refer to it when determining when to add and only use the digi-gauge as a convenience...

Jim, wouldn't the dipstick be equally sensitive to these conditions?
Z.
Old 04-26-2007, 07:34 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by z12358
Jim, wouldn't the dipstick be equally sensitive to these conditions?
Z.
Hi,

Sensitive, yes - Equally Sensitive, no. With the Dipstick you can actually see the Oil Level and false readings, while possible, aren't as easy. Porsche, by eliminating the Dipstick, have apparently decided that Convenience is more important to their Customers than Accuracy - that the Digi-gauge makes a greater superior technology statement...

Old 04-26-2007, 07:47 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNBoxster
Hi,

Sensitive, yes - Equally Sensitive, no. With the Dipstick you can actually see the Oil Level and false readings, while possible, aren't as easy. Porsche, by eliminating the Dipstick, have apparently decided that Convenience is more important to their Customers than Accuracy - that the Digi-gauge makes a greater superior technology statement...

I'm not familiar with how the sensors measure the level (how many and what locations), but why would a single observation point (dipstick) be more reliable (or more robust) than multiple observatios points (strategically positioned to minimize outside effects) whose inputs are digitally processed (averaged?) and presented on the dashboard? At the minimum, one could have a single sensor where the dipstick is and "see" whatever level the dipstick "sees" -- thus making it as good as a dipstick. Right?
Z.
Old 04-26-2007, 07:57 AM   #13

thanks MN. another stupid question here but when is the best time to measure the oil level? before starting the engine, just after engine warm up, or some delayed time after engine is shut off after operating?
spark00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 08:46 AM   #14

I miss the dipstick. Of course, that used to be my nickname, at least to my brother it was.

Old 04-26-2007, 09:03 AM   #15

N4Ally2, I think JWilson provided the first and best response to your post...check your manual.

Some corrections to the other responses.

On your 987, the difference between the min and max marks on the segment display is 1.2 liters, with each segment corresponding to approximately .4 liter (which is 1.7 US Cups). Never add more engine oil than required to reach the maximum mark as noted in bold font on page 112 of your manual.

The factory fill on the car is 10.4 liters and the oil change quantity without filter is approximately 7.5 liters or 7.75 with filter. That being said, it will probably take more (obviously depending on how long and under what conditions that the engine is drained). On my previous 987 the dealer added 9+ liters. This dealer has little motivation to misstate the figure as a) I was watching them change the oil b) oil changes are free at Pioneer if you bought the car there.

It's pretty amusing that one would try to argue that a dipstick is a better way to assess oil levels than electrically. The level-ground condition obviously isn't a factor in a comparison and the engine off, oil drain/temp are accounted for more precisely using the electronic gauge in the 987. It won't allow a check if the engine is running and if you've ever tried performing an oil check after the car has been run awhile you'll see a mighty long wait time. That's the whole point of having the countdown feature which tells you how long you're going to be waiting to get an accurate reading. Obviously the nicest feature of the electronic gauge is that it actively monitors the oil levels, letting you know if it's low. I've never had a dipstick alert me to low oil levels.

N4Ally2, don't be surprised if your 06S is a heavy oil consumer. I don't know how many miles you have on yours but both my 987s consumed oil until about the 15k mark. Also keep an eye on the coolant. As I've posted elsewhere, the 987 can also be a coolant consumer during the first 15k and the low-coolant sensor doesn't seem to work so well.

06 987S- Sold
Carrara White / Black / Black/Stone Grey Two-tone

05 987 5-speed - Sold
Midnight Blue Metallic / Metropol Blue / Sand Beige

06 MB SLK350- Lease escapee
Iridium Silver Metallic / Black

We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true. - Robert Wilensky

Last edited by SD987; 04-26-2007 at 09:15 AM.
SD987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 09:11 AM   #16

I concur with SD987's remarks. My car used to drink oil quite fast.

27000 miles now and my car has stopped consuming oil, coolant levels seem fine. It actually stopped consuming oil around 13,000 miles so again, SD987 is on the money, as far as I can tell!
Old 04-26-2007, 09:32 AM   #17

I am still a dipstick fan. Check it in the AM after after sitting overnight.

What's the fuss?

But that is just me. It took me 10 yrs to get with the whole Compact Disc thing.

On the other side, I was on the INET back in the mid 90s.

Old 04-27-2007, 10:08 AM   #18

okay guys. I have taken out the excess oil and the car is running fine. Now, for my original question. I found the answer. If you look at the original thread, i asked if smoke would come out if there is excess motor oil in the engine. That is true. When I started the car, a cloud of white smoke came out of the exhaust pipe. So I think that is the smoke. From now on, I will be real careful putting fluid in my car.
Old 04-27-2007, 11:10 AM   #19

You can also expect a little puff of smoke at startup in your boxster when it has been sitting for a few days to a few weeks... even with the proper amount of oil in the engine.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 12:18 PM   #20

thanks Randall. If oil is sitting in the engine, what should I do? I assume the oil will burn itself off and that just need to happen, right?