Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-27-2007, 12:22 PM   #21

SD987 - Thanks for the info. Already have coolant and plenty of motor oil in my garage. I do have a question about the brake fluid. Does that get consume quickly too?

n4ally2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 01:12 PM   #22

N4ally2, just make sure your current coolant backup is compatible with the Porsche mixture, a subject that's been discussed before, here most recently:

Porsche coolant...the exciting conclusion!

I've never had an issue with the brake systems (including brake fluid) on either of my 987s and really haven't ever heard or read of them either (with the exception of a couple PCCB issues). Outstanding and relatively maintenance-free brakes are a Porsche characteristic and the Boxster seems to exemplify that tradition.

The only other general maintenance observation I would make is to keep an eye on your tire-wear, particularly in the rear. If you had an S4, then you know that performance tires are expensive and the desire to milk them for every mile is strong. Resist the urge and don't skimp on tire replacements. It would surprise me to hear of an owner getting more than high-teens out of the rear tires on a 987.

06 987S- Sold
Carrara White / Black / Black/Stone Grey Two-tone

05 987 5-speed - Sold
Midnight Blue Metallic / Metropol Blue / Sand Beige

06 MB SLK350- Lease escapee
Iridium Silver Metallic / Black

We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true. - Robert Wilensky
SD987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 01:40 PM   #23

Thanks SD. Called my local porsche service dept and double checked on the coolant. they said 50/50 fix is fine and they said off the shelf is okay, but reading that articule, I am now a little worry. Might need to seek some more advise from good old jim.
As for tires, I totally know what you mean as my first set of S4 tires were done by the time i hit 18K (not bad), but the next set of tires I purchased (bridgestones) had a w or z rating and guarranteed 40K on the tires! They were a $175 a piece (costco price. retail would be around $205). I was really surpise to find that and did a double take on it, but I have to say, it was a good find on tires. For Prosche, I will probably look around for all-season tires in Oct. Don't want to be hybroplaining in the rainy season. if I find a z rated tires and with guarrantee mileage, i will check them out and let all of you know.
n4ally2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 03:21 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by n4ally2
okay guys. I have taken out the excess oil and the car is running fine. Now, for my original question. I found the answer. If you look at the original thread, i asked if smoke would come out if there is excess motor oil in the engine. That is true. When I started the car, a cloud of white smoke came out of the exhaust pipe. So I think that is the smoke. From now on, I will be real careful putting fluid in my car.
I doubt that was the excess oil that made that white puff of smoke, unless you're talking about a HUGE cloud. Generally oil smoke is black, not white, and it would smell like burning oil.

I would expect that you'd see the effects of an overfill more during hard driving.