Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-22-2007, 06:22 PM   #1

Help!!! Dash Lights Are going crazy!!!!

Hey guys,
I'm new to the Porsche world and I need some help. I just picked up a 97 Boxster and the gauge dummy lights are going crazy. After the car warms up the Battery light flashes at random and so do the Traction on/off and ABS lights. It doesn't happen all the time just at random for a few mins. Also the headlights fade in and out when this happens. I alrady replaced the ign. switch...didn't help. Here is a link to a video of my dash when it freeks out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBgWfVgS8VM

Thanks for the help,
Jay

jvelthoven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 07:35 PM   #2

my car did that to right before the alternator went out. It was the weirdest thing but when i described it to the Porsche mechanics, they seemed to have heard that before. Anyway, mine did it for about 1 week before leaving me stuck 50+ miles from a city.
So have the Alternator checked, the connections and relays.
James
jhandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 11:43 PM   #3

Sounds like the alternator, mine gave those exact symptons right before it died. Definately have it checked, it is not any fun to have the car die on you while on the road.

Ed

2000 2.7L Boxster 102K; TTP intake, headers, high-flow cats; Dansk high-flow muffler; Autothority ECU chip; TechnoTorque 2; Bilstein coilovers; Racing Dynamics strut brace; stress-bar suspension kit; Aasco lightweight flywheel, B&M short shiftkit; 18" wheels; spare tire delete; OEM GT3 seats; JL audio speakers and subwoofer; Alpine PDX-5/PDX-2 amps; Kenwood DNX8120 CD/DVD/Nav; litronics, deambered
edevlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 02:07 AM   #4

Thanks guys,
I'll check that out.

-Jay
Old 09-10-2007, 07:07 AM   #5

Talking Help!! I might have the same problem

Help!! I might have the same problem, I need some advice PLEASE.

All, my 2001 Boxster S (48K miles) battery died about a week ago. Ran to the store bought a new one. Yesterday while driving the following lights came on: ABS, Battery & Air Bag. After about 30 secs they went off and then came back on. I turned the car off, voltage metered the battery to find it hovering around 11+ volts, big drop for a new battery. I started the car, turned everything on (AC, Lights, Radio) and the car totally freaked on me. By that I mean, everything worked in slow motion, check the battery voltage and found it at a staggering 9+ volts and falling rapidly. I’m thinking alternator is going out on me but want the advice of some folks who are fellow owners. And if it is the alternator can someone tell me how hard it is to replace yourself, instructions would be nice.

Super thanks!!!!
F.King (PBXJedi)
PBXJedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 06:20 PM   #6

A new alternator fixed my problem... I would guess yours would be the same.

-Jay
Old 09-11-2007, 05:04 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvelthoven
A new alternator fixed my problem... I would guess yours would be the same.

-Jay

Thanks Jay, that might be what I do, considering what I'm seeing. BTW, how did you get the S.belt off the alternator? What wrench do I need?

PBXJedi

PBXJedi is offline   Reply With Quote