Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-16-2007, 01:30 PM   #1

Uh oh! Squeak motor/transmission

Ok so I posted about a week ago a squeak issue thought it may be a pully, nope. I had my clutch done @ 60k and the shop seamed to do a good job. When I took delievery of the car it seemed fine. On my way home mostly at idle I noticed a faint metal on metal squeak. I brought the car back that week and had the shop owner go for a drive. He said it sounds like exhaust rubbing on something I thought so too. So the next week they got my car back and they said they welded up a piece of heat shielding for the exhaust, and that should take care of it. I took delievery and noticed it was still making the same sound but it was faint just like before. My plans then were to replace the whole exhaust system and when I did that the problem would be fixed, right. Nope as I drove the car after the clutch/flywheel job last year it got louder and louder. It was only a few thousand miles and winter was coming its just the exhaust rubbing no worries. Winter has come and gone and now the exhaust is all new and definitly not rubbing on anything. I do believe they didnt get the clutch job correct. Piolot bearing maby? dont think it is a throw out bearing due to the fact that noting changes in sound no matter clutch pedal possition. Has anyone had issues with rear main bearing cap/seal making noises. Sound now is noticeable to about 35mph from idle increasing with motor speed.
Help any other thoughts Please help me figure this out.

(www.myspace.com/tcechelon)
mn box s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 10:00 AM   #2

no one? any one?
(www.myspace.com/tcechelon)
mn box s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 03:59 AM   #3

I also had something that sounded like a squeel from the engine area. I thought it was a pully going bad. When I had the car in the shop they said it was a couple of the header pipes rubbing together. I think I am going to need to bend those suckers a little to get some clearance.

Ed

2000 2.7L Boxster 102K; TTP intake, headers, high-flow cats; Dansk high-flow muffler; Autothority ECU chip; TechnoTorque 2; Bilstein coilovers; Racing Dynamics strut brace; stress-bar suspension kit; Aasco lightweight flywheel, B&M short shiftkit; 18" wheels; spare tire delete; OEM GT3 seats; JL audio speakers and subwoofer; Alpine PDX-5/PDX-2 amps; Kenwood DNX8120 CD/DVD/Nav; litronics, deambered
edevlin is offline   Reply With Quote