Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-15-2007, 01:41 PM   #1

99 2.5 boxster engine failure? (white smoke)

Ok, so I was on I10 today driving at about 6500 rpms in third gear. I ****************ed to fourth, and began slowing down.. Moments later I heard a poof noise. My engine lost all power and i pulled to the side of the road only to notice white smoke and coolant coming directly out of my exhaust. Also found coolant dripping near the exhaust pip on the passenger side. The car no longer starts(obviously) and i try to turn it over and it sound like it has NO compression due to what happened.

Is my engine fried? Or is it coolant system related. At the time of the incident the engine was not overheating, nor did it overheat after the fact.

WTF? Ive had it since october and it has about 75k miles on it.

Help!

Rich

Old 04-15-2007, 02:29 PM   #2

Sounds like a cylinder sleeve slipped as is typical for that model year. Hopefully it's not, because that means time for a new engine. Take it in and see what they say. This won't be something you can handle in your garage more than likely.

Last edited by Adam; 04-15-2007 at 02:36 PM.
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 03:19 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99986
Ok, so I was on I10 today driving at about 6500 rpms in third gear. I ****************ed to fourth, and began slowing down.. Moments later I heard a poof noise. My engine lost all power and i pulled to the side of the road only to notice white smoke and coolant coming directly out of my exhaust. Also found coolant dripping near the exhaust pip on the passenger side. The car no longer starts(obviously) and i try to turn it over and it sound like it has NO compression due to what happened.

Is my engine fried? Or is it coolant system related. At the time of the incident the engine was not overheating, nor did it overheat after the fact.

WTF? Ive had it since october and it has about 75k miles on it.

Help!

Rich
Bad to worse:

Head gasket

Cracked Head

Cracked coolant passage in block.

Hope for the best.

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 03:22 PM   #4

Update

There is NO water in the oil supply.
Old 04-15-2007, 04:32 PM   #5

Umm...I don't know what to tell you. White smoke usually indicates coolant. Blue smoke means oil. How do you know it's not coolant? If you took it in to get checked out they should tell you more than "it's not coolant."
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 07:45 AM   #6

It is coolant. Coolant is coming out of my exhaust! coolant is everywhere. I cant afford a new motor... ****************s way too expensive.. and the car isnt worth it. I paid 15k for the car. new motor installed is like 10 or so.

Pointless.
Old 04-16-2007, 08:01 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99986
It is coolant. Coolant is coming out of my exhaust! coolant is everywhere. I cant afford a new motor... ****************s way too expensive.. and the car isnt worth it. I paid 15k for the car. new motor installed is like 10 or so.

Pointless.

Sounds like you are correct on this one.

Have confirmed by mechanic.

Then, decide to salvage it or try to rebuild.

Anyway you cut it, you are in for $6-9K even with a used engine.

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 08:06 AM   #8

What do I need to do a 3.4 swap?

for 9k i can get a 911 3.4 motor with harness and ecu. complete motor assembly.
it has the regular cable driven throttle and not the new electric stuff.

Will this bolt up to my transmission?
which flywheel and clutch do i use if so?
can I use my manifolds and exhaust?
Old 04-17-2007, 11:44 AM   #9

The transmission will work.

You will use the flywheel from your boxster engine as the 3.4 flywheel is thicker and will rub the bellhousing if used. A sport clutch was put in my boxster although I'm not entirely sure what that means in regards to it being a better boxster clutch or a 996 clutch.

You can use the muffler but for performance reasons you will want to get new headers and cats as your manifold will be too restrictive and the ones on the 3.4 are reversed because the engine sits reversed in the two models

In addition to the above your old engine will have to be a donor for some parts...such as the fuel rails if i remember correctly...again, because they are reversed.

I think there were a few other parts used as well but I do not remember which ones.
Old 04-17-2007, 12:51 PM   #10

Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
The 3.4L should cost you much less then $9k even with the DME,I've seen them for around $4-7k. If you wanna stick to the 2.5L,they can be had for $2-4k in great condition on eBay. You could turn to recyclers;

Give Oklahoma Foreign, http://www.oklahomaforeign.com/

DC Auto, http://www.dcauto.com/default.htm ,I've dealt with them and they gave me SUPER good prices on parts.

Mazda Porsche Parts, http://www.mazdaporscheparts.com/ ,I drive to their spot when I strip or break screws or nuts when I'm working on my Boxster.

LA Porsche Autodismantler, http://www.911pcar.com/ , many people say their customer service is sub par.

Good Luck!