Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-14-2007, 12:52 AM   #1

misfires

Iv,e been having misfires on my 1999 boxster and the engine check light keeps blinking. lately the engine is also occasionally dying on slow speeds. I've been to the mechanic's and the computer showed an error on cylinders 1,2 and 3, and the error read: bank 1 of 2 fuel trim. i've had coils tested, spark plugs, and oxygen sensors and none of them seem to be wrong. can anyone help me find out what's wrong with my car?!

boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 05:01 AM   #2

misfire

you may have gotten some bad gas it happened to me and the problem cleared up with the next tank full
backroads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 05:33 AM   #3
bmussatti

Isn't these a difference in the "warning level" for when the CEL is lite vs. blinking? I thought the "blinking" CEL was more severe.
Old 04-15-2007, 08:11 AM   #4

That's right, a car with a blinking CEL shouldn't be driven to reduce the possibility of damage to the engine. A solid CEL is less urgent and can be driven, but that should be checked out too.
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 01:07 PM   #5

MAF. MAF. MAF. Completely classic signs. The cylinder problems are likely fouled spark plugs. Fix the MAF and replace the spark plugs in the necessary cylinders - problems solved. Also, I'm guessing (just guessing) that you didn't go to a P mechanic. The MAF has got to be the first choice for this problem and should have been diagnosed quickly by a P-car mechanic.

'06 Cayenne Turbo S, Beige Metallic/Tan

Ex - '99 Arctic Silver, Red Interior, Silver Top
denverpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 07:51 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverpete
MAF. MAF. MAF. Completely classic signs. The cylinder problems are likely fouled spark plugs. Fix the MAF and replace the spark plugs in the necessary cylinders - problems solved. Also, I'm guessing (just guessing) that you didn't go to a P mechanic. The MAF has got to be the first choice for this problem and should have been diagnosed quickly by a P-car mechanic.
Hi,

+1, +1, +1...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99

MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote