Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-13-2007, 09:35 PM   #1

Opinions Wanted!

Ok Guys, love the site. First time post, long time guest.

I value your opinions (well most of you..j/k)
so let me know what you think..

Here is the scenario..I have a stock black on tan '97 boxster with 32k miles.(btw-i need new brake pads, constant obd2 mass flow 02 check engine constantly on, other small things wrong, maybe a new clutch)
amber everything, 2.5l motor...you get the picture. I truly do love the car, as it is perfect body, paint and interior, however I got smoked by a 350z the other day, so my buddy (a 996turbo owner) suggested i call a semi-local LA porsche customizer. I did and we made an appt. for this morning to install a reprogrammed ecu, dansk sport muffler and evo intake. would give me a lil more punch. Well, here is where it gets interesting..

As I arrived, a genuine RUF 3.6l boxster was getting dropped off a flatbead. it had been t-boned pretty bad. But i didnt think it was totaled, It was. i'llcut to it 20k gets me installed on my car the following:

996 3.6L (2200 miles)
6spd trans
ecu
limited slip differential
gt2 clutch
turbo short shifter
coil over springs w/ billet knuckles
twin turbo big red brake system (calipers, rotors,pads, sensors)
ruf exhaust system (muffler, header, etc)
2006 19" s wheels (3500 more for the ruf rims..ugh)
s tech cluster
new elec wiring
carbon diffuser
smoked front, side, third and rear lights
dyno tune
and a guarantee to produce 355 horse!

i want to make it a sleeper.

i have given him a deposit so that I could think about.

Be Nice..Be honest

c4skiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 05:09 AM   #2

How much did you pay for your BOX? Add it up with the uprgrades, and I think you have a great deal, and a Killer Car!!!
Gemballa red face gauges ..(FOR SALE)

http://i28.tinypic.com/2zzlq29.jpg
986speedster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 05:21 AM   #3

Looks like a good deal. Since the "upgrade" probably costs more than your Box, look at the whole project as fixing the t-boned RUF with your Box providing the shell and most parts. Make sure your Box is in good enough shape overall (being the "donor" of most parts for the final car) and you'll end up with a fantastic car for well under $40k total cost. Good luck and keep us posted!
Z.
Old 04-14-2007, 05:27 AM   #4

It would be an amazing sleeper. I also recommend figuring what you could get for your current car, high-teens I would think, add 20K to it and you would end up with the high 30's. Would you be happier with a later generation Boxster S, or the sleeper?

The sleeper would no doubt be unique and faster, but the resale, should you choose to sell, it would not be very high. Personally, if I could afford it, I would love a 3.6L in my older Boxster, but with my limited budget and a son going off to college next year, I would go for a 2005 Boxster S. Boy I wish I had your choice, have fun,

Ed

2000 2.7L Boxster 102K; TTP intake, headers, high-flow cats; Dansk high-flow muffler; Autothority ECU chip; TechnoTorque 2; Bilstein coilovers; Racing Dynamics strut brace; stress-bar suspension kit; Aasco lightweight flywheel, B&M short shiftkit; 18" wheels; spare tire delete; OEM GT3 seats; JL audio speakers and subwoofer; Alpine PDX-5/PDX-2 amps; Kenwood DNX8120 CD/DVD/Nav; litronics, deambered
edevlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 06:44 AM   #5

Cool Thanks for the input..

Thank you for the input,
to answer your ? speedster, I paid 12k for the car from a friend who never drove it, and was going through a divorce, move, etc...

I love the new boxster, and have test driven it and the new cayman. Love em'.
But, for 32k (what i would be into this boxster) doesn't get me 987s, maybe private party, definately not a cayman.

So, i think I'm going for it...I'l post all the progress..

Thanks
Old 04-14-2007, 08:03 AM   #6

What is there to think about? You'll be trading up to what will essentially be a mid engined monster that no other Boxster and only a few 911's could touch. Too bad I don't live in So. Cal. I'd take it if you didn't. Good luck with it and keep us posted.

'03 Midnight Blue
18" Chromes//Drilled and slotted rotors//pedal upgrade//Alum. Door sills//KSPORT Coilovers//Short Shifter/Strut braces/Clear sides/Hard Top/Speedster humps/Intake//Leather GT3 seats/REVO chip with SPS2
'04 CLK55 AMG 367HP!
'86 944 Guards Red & MINT!
'69 911 Black
PCA Member -Northern Ohio
Cancer Survivor
der Geist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 01:17 PM   #7

My only concern

would be the 19" wheels.

'97s did not have the strengthened suspension support pieces that would enable 18" (not to mention 19") to be mounted. That came later.

I don't see any upgraded suspension pieces in the package you are buying.

And the 19" wheels will destroy the sleeper aspect of the car. Maybe settle for some nice 17s both for the stealth and for the lesser load on the suspension attachments. Be a shame to tear up the car after you have such a sweet motor installed.

Also is the changed wheel diameter going to work with the speedo/odometer?
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 01:31 PM   #8

do it......
super66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 01:34 PM   #9

Send a message via Yahoo to Chills
I must go against the board. DON'T DO IT. Let me get over there and do it instead!!

That is a great deal for some incredible performance. Once my Box is out of warranty I want to do something similar.

DO IT!!

Post pictures.

Let me be envious.

It's not about the summit, it's about the climb.

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q46/chills1138/2.jpg
Chills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 01:40 PM   #10

Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
Whoa whoa,there is no way that he can get the NON E-GAS(97'-99) to take an E-gas engine(00'+).
Old 04-14-2007, 02:31 PM   #11

Even I would do this swap and I am generally against investing lots of money in a Box.

Do it!

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 02:48 PM   #12

If you can get them to install all that for $20k that would be AWESOME! Let us know how it goes!
Old 04-14-2007, 07:00 PM   #13

You only live once....Do it!!!
silverboxter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 07:07 PM   #14

I hope you are wrong..

Blinkwatt..
Not sure what e-gas vs. non e-gas means..I am a "newbie" as far as porsche are concerned..However, i specifically asked the shop if there are any problems installing this motor in my car..he indicated that the only thing that is going to remain on my car is body (shell) and interior. Everything else (performance wise)will be replaced. Forgot to mention all of the suspension upgrades and the cluster. i will post a complete list of all the parts being installed when I receive the list on tuesday.

Here is how it went down today..i ended up purchasing the RUF boxster today for a little over 12k from the insurance company representative. The car is without rims, interior, or stereo system.

The shop if charging me $11,500 to install everything.(ouch) plus included in this price is a set of 18" or 19" take offs from the showroom or their stock and tires. ..something "cup tires"??

the shop is giving me $3000 for all take off components from my car (motor, brakes, etc). So my "net" cost from them is $8500.

so i am fairly close to 21k for all of this work.

This is the shops 7th boxster to 996/7 conversion..1st RUF boxster conversion.

Ps..c4sklr (C4S Killer) was the liscense plate of the RUF boxster that was destroyed. Everyone in the shop said it was an awesome car and hung with most of the big boys and out cornered all the Big Boys at the California Speedway during a Porsche owners club track time..If anybody was ever at one of these let me know wht u think. Silver RUF complete ruf exterior body kit, and u know the license plate now..

-i'll keep you posted
Old 04-14-2007, 09:39 PM   #15

Talking 3.6 L Conversion......................

If you have the cash, do it. It will make you car one of a kind. I have 0 regrets on my 3.4L conversion. You shld look up Todd Holyoak for reference on the Non-Egas to Egas engine as he is installing a 3.6L into his 99 and this is the situation. No problems if you have the knowledge of someone who has done it. Trent Carter has 19" rims on his 1997 Boxster with no probs.

I have the 3.4L in mine, ECU, headers, cats etc... No regrets!! 3.6L would be sick! Trust me, once you get it, you won't have to worry about being schooled by a 350Z. Before I did the swap, last year, I went cruising with my buddy with his 350Z and other friend with a 993 C4S. My 2.5L couldn't hang with them on the straights & pulled on me in the straights until I was a small blip. Sure the twisties no problem, but I felt the total package is everything in combo. Now, no problem pulling on my buddy with the 350Z. I have yet to cruise with my buddy with the 993 C4S, but it shld be interesting. Out of a yield the other day an E36 M3 tried to pull on me and couldn't, so he moved over to let me pass. ;o) But, there is always someone faster & the Boxster is more than just speed. But for sure, you will find the car such a pleasure to drive and this is the main thing. Good luck and keep us posted.
WillieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 11:36 PM   #16

Do some research on those CUP tires as they will only

increase the load on the suspension.

I'm really questioning these guys smarts if they recommend 19" with stickey tires on a 97 with a known to be marginal with 18s stock suspension. If only you had a '98 as it was then that the suspension was strengthened.

Also as you go up in wheel size, you use a tire with less crush space. So, when your tire hits a bump, pothole or whatever, the space the tire can crush to absorb the blow before the expensive wheel gets involved is less the larger the wheel you use. And if the tire runs out of crush room, it gets pinched between the hole/bump and the rim and the tire gets cut. So if you are going to use these wheels on your Boxster, you'd better be from an area that has awfully smooth roads or you'll be making repeated painful $ acquaintances with one of the wheel repair places at beyond $150 an incident (if it can even be fixed) and with the tire shops.
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 12:06 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikefocke
I'm really questioning these guys smarts if they recommend 19" with stickey tires on a 97 with a known to be marginal with 18s stock suspension. If only you had a '98 as it was then that the suspension was strengthened.
What exactly changed on the 98'+ suspensions compared to the 97'?
Old 04-15-2007, 05:20 PM   #18

Very tempting, I would likely go ahead and do it, though I would find some way to strengthen the suspension and stiffen the chassis a bit to make up for a somewhat older, flexy car which now has a lot more power.

Also, the price of labor here does seem a bit high. You better get one hell of a nice job done for that price. Should be amazing though at the end of the day!

Patrick
Cloudsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 01:19 AM   #19

Only 20K for a sleeper?? Do it, it is the time to awake the sleeper!

I would say skip the wheels, but take everything else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by c4skiller
Ok Guys, love the site. First time post, long time guest.

I value your opinions (well most of you..j/k)
so let me know what you think..

Here is the scenario..I have a stock black on tan '97 boxster with 32k miles.(btw-i need new brake pads, constant obd2 mass flow 02 check engine constantly on, other small things wrong, maybe a new clutch)
amber everything, 2.5l motor...you get the picture. I truly do love the car, as it is perfect body, paint and interior, however I got smoked by a 350z the other day, so my buddy (a 996turbo owner) suggested i call a semi-local LA porsche customizer. I did and we made an appt. for this morning to install a reprogrammed ecu, dansk sport muffler and evo intake. would give me a lil more punch. Well, here is where it gets interesting..

As I arrived, a genuine RUF 3.6l boxster was getting dropped off a flatbead. it had been t-boned pretty bad. But i didnt think it was totaled, It was. i'llcut to it 20k gets me installed on my car the following:

996 3.6L (2200 miles)
6spd trans
ecu
limited slip differential
gt2 clutch
turbo short shifter
coil over springs w/ billet knuckles
twin turbo big red brake system (calipers, rotors,pads, sensors)
ruf exhaust system (muffler, header, etc)
2006 19" s wheels (3500 more for the ruf rims..ugh)
s tech cluster
new elec wiring
carbon diffuser
smoked front, side, third and rear lights
dyno tune
and a guarantee to produce 355 horse!

i want to make it a sleeper.

i have given him a deposit so that I could think about.

Be Nice..Be honest
Old 04-16-2007, 01:50 PM   #20

do you have more info on the brake system?
Sounds like a big investment but if you plan to keep the car for a long time I don't think you would have been able to do this any cheaper.

Have you actually called RUF (Texas) to run the project by them? THose guys like to talk shop so don't feel like you are imposing on them. I called to ask about harness belts and the guy talked my ear off. Sounds like you should talk to the guys doing the install take some notes and then call RUF and ask if you think you will need any parts or if they have some recent improvements/new info they can add in while everything is apart.

Sportec from Switzerland did a 3.8 conversion on a 987S in an issue of Excellence and the editors felt the car could have easily handled even more power.
They also did a really nice CaymanS conversion.

BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote