Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-08-2007, 07:33 AM   #1

squeak at start-up and idle until about 10mph

Ok, so when I start my car there is a very loud squeak that seems to go in harmony to the engines speed. At start-up it is about a second and a half intervals but then once engine is spinning at idle about half second. About two to three seconds after car is running the sound becomes more sporatic. The noise seems to get worse as I drive and the car heats up. It really squoks in first gear as I acclerate to about 10 mph and then nothing untill I come to the next stop light and it starts to do it sporatically again. I had the clutch/flywheel replaced I have replaced the exhaust, headers, test pipes, muffler and it was doing this before the exhaust was replaced. I have not checked the pullys yet but not sure if I'll find anything there. Could this be a motor mount issue? Anyone had this problem and what was the solloution, please?

(www.myspace.com/tcechelon)
mn box s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 07:34 AM   #2
bmussatti

Serpentine Belt?
Old 04-08-2007, 07:37 AM   #3
bmussatti

Check around for lower prices too:

http://e-partssales.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=P&Product_Code=99610215166&Category_Code=986maint
Old 04-08-2007, 07:55 AM   #4

my car is a 00' box s with the 60k done at 55k the belt is farely new 7k? the suspention is rulled out too as I just replaced with kw v2's. Like I said I have not checked belt/pullys yet but very loud and sounds like metal on metal. I bought the car 10months ago with 55k and have driven the car about 8k and spent 14k on it so far and wondering when it will end. Sound gets faster as I drive away to 10/15 mph.
Old 04-08-2007, 08:02 AM   #5

This sounds to me like something to do with the accessory drive system, too. May not be the belt itself, but possibly the pulleys, bearings or devices driven by them.

PS - I have never yet been right on diagnosing a mechanical problem via e-mail.
Ronzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 08:16 AM   #6

I know what you mean. This is my way of getting diffrent ideas and opening my mind to diffrent problems that others have had. Just the first step. It seems like there are no two problems the same some times. Anyone had to replace the motor mounts before still have a thouht it "could be them" it almost sounds like two squeaks at some points from diffrent sides too.
Old 09-04-2007, 11:40 AM   #7

I'm working on a similar problem with my 99 Boxster. All the forums I've read have had different suggestions and many different solutions. Most point to the air/oil vaporizer that's part of the emissions control (I changed mine, wasn't it), serpentine belt (I sprayed mine with belt dressing, no change), I even read a forum where a guys spark plug was loose (haven't tried that yet) and the noise was from air blowing past the threads.

Other potential points are water pump, accy pulleys etc, etc...I suggest do the cheap ones first and knock-em down or take it in to a dealer and pay them to find it, then fix it yourself. Me I'm stubborn and am gonna keep fighting the fight. Best of luck, let us know what it is when you find it.
linkjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 11:52 AM   #8

Hey was just emailed this old thread of mine. I completely forgot about it. Yes it was my spark plug. right after I bought the car I took it to the shop just to have the first round of maintenance done by someone who knew porsches more. I figured out the noise started after being there. They said it was the exhaust but after I replaced that I started thinking. I took it back a year later (after winter) and they found it to be a spark plug lose. The techs response was that on 911s there is a hard to get at plug that is placed the same and that he never tightens that one too much in fear of not getting it off later. What ever its fixed and I dont care. Just seals the deal on why I never really let anyone touch my cars. hope this response helps.
Old 09-04-2007, 12:04 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by mn box s
Hey was just emailed this old thread of mine. I completely forgot about it. Yes it was my spark plug. right after I bought the car I took it to the shop just to have the first round of maintenance done by someone who knew porsches more. I figured out the noise started after being there. They said it was the exhaust but after I replaced that I started thinking. I took it back a year later (after winter) and they found it to be a spark plug lose. The techs response was that on 911s there is a hard to get at plug that is placed the same and that he never tightens that one too much in fear of not getting it off later. What ever its fixed and I dont care. Just seals the deal on why I never really let anyone touch my cars. hope this response helps.
For our beneift, who did the work...just so that I don't use them by accident as well.

"It is better to enter a corner slow, and come out fast, than to enter a corner fast, and come out dead." - Sir Stirling Moss
J-RAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 12:53 PM   #10

Flat Six of Bloomington, MN. I do say they are not a bad shop. **************** happens it shouldnt, but it does.
Old 09-10-2007, 07:57 AM   #11

I should have read the date on that original thread, I checked my plugs on Sunday and sure enough one was loose. What a great opportunity to clean up the wheels and brake calipers though.

linkjones is offline   Reply With Quote