Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-05-2007, 12:58 PM   #1

Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
Unhappy Top cable question

The two cables that you have disengage to put the top in service mode,more so the one on the passenger's side aren't working right. The one on the driver's side stays on w/o any issues,now as for the one on the passenger's side....it annoys the **************** out of me. When I connect it and put the top up it ALWAYS pops loose and makes a popping sound doing so. The top functions as it should whether I connect it or not,so I have just left it unconnected,is there any harm in doing so? I have to metal connecting cables and not that plastic ones if that helps.

Old 04-06-2007, 01:29 AM   #2

Bump,someone has to know what I'm talking about.
Old 04-06-2007, 07:52 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkwatt
The two cables that you have disengage to put the top in service mode,more so the one on the passenger's side aren't working right. The one on the driver's side stays on w/o any issues,now as for the one on the passenger's side....it annoys the **************** out of me. When I connect it and put the top up it ALWAYS pops loose and makes a popping sound doing so. The top functions as it should whether I connect it or not,so I have just left it unconnected,is there any harm in doing so? I have to metal connecting cables and not that plastic ones if that helps.
Hi,

Yes, it matters and I wouldn't operate the Top without it. These cables can be replaced, but it's probably the Spring Clip inside the ball tip. You can probably get it working by taking an Awl (or other pointed object) and trying to bend the wire piece inside so that it connects around the ball receiver.

Metal end pieces are aftermarket, often installed by POs who had one of the Plastic Tips break. They are Plastic for a reason - so the connector releases the cable before the Top frame gets bent or damaged. Mine are currently metal as well. But, I will eventually replace them back to OEM plastic to add this Fail Safe back into the system - always looking for a cheap set. I never use my Top, operate it maybe half dozen times a season, so for me it's not as important as some people who use their Tops regularly...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 09:40 AM   #4

Hey Jim,

I took a pic of the cable that was giving me a pain,notice how it's bent,the otherside isn't like that. I bent the cable back into a straight line and will in re-installing shortly.
Old 04-06-2007, 10:16 AM   #5

Whoa! After looking at how to cable connects I noticed that passenger side cable rod housing near the engine compartment foam cover had complete unseated itself from the bolt that holds it in place.....how that happened I have no clue. When I found this the two parts were completely seperated,one holds the other in place=why I couldn't properly seat the cable w/o it popping off.

Now that I put everything back together the top goes up and down w/o popping and having the cable pop off as well. Thanks Jim for the input!

Last edited by blinkwatt; 04-06-2007 at 10:43 AM.
blinkwatt is offline   Reply With Quote