Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-03-2007, 01:54 PM   #1

Brake pads

Its getting close for brake time so I am going to upgrade my rotors to the Zimmerman drilled ones and I was wondering what brake pad to get.I was looking at Textar , Pagid or pbr any suggestions? Also what paint would work for the calipers I want to repaint them.Thanks for the help.

Joe T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 03:30 PM   #2

Hi,

Think twice about the Zimmermans. They are not the same as OEM and are prone to cracking prematurely. Also, they cannot be machined, so replacement will be more frequent and they eat pads much more quickly. Zimmermans may look cool, but Porsche Brakes don't really need a lot of improvement, they won't appreciably shorten your braking distance.

Have you mic'd your existing discs to see if they are due? The wear minimums are: Fr - 22.6mm (0.89") Rr - 18.6mm (0.73").

For Pads, what kind of driving do you do? Track? DE? Auto-X? Pure Street? Mix? This will determine the best pad for you. Hi-Per Pads don't offer much advantage on the Street, but wear more quickly (and wear the Discs more quickly) and are usually noisier.

My Boxster is pretty much pure Street (other toys for beating the Wind), so I just went with the Pagid replacements - cost me $150 for the complete set (+ hdwr. kit) from Paragon - best price I could find. Hope this helps...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 04:27 PM   #3

I do mostly street driving. I did mic the rotors and I can get a cut out of them but it will be close. I know your not suppose to turn drilled rotors or at least thats what I heard but we had a customer with them on his Honda and wanted them turned so I did multiple light cuts worked out fine. I have used pbr deluxe on my Benz no squeek and the best part was very little brake dust. Thanks for the info it helps . But I really like the drilled rotor look it has to cool better oh well I have a few months till I have to do the work. thanks again
Old 04-03-2007, 04:27 PM   #4

Agree with Jim.
I use the Pagid from these guys (here in Arizona of course)
This is the 2000 Boxster (not S ) set for about $150.
Not an employee or owner - just a satisfied customer

https://www.************************************************************/search/product.aspx?sid=fduut345iywx5e45lxkdg5qd&makeid=800019@Porsche&modelid=1364385@BOXSTER%20&year=2000&cid=14@Brake%20%26%20Wheel%20Hub&gid=1684@Brake%20Pad%20Set

Also, this is an easy DIY.
Be sure and read up and do the pad seating process on older rotors - you may
not need to replace the rotors the first time around.
And, Jim is right about the drilled rotors - you won't get any better stopping distance.
Focus on tires for better performance - and accelerate more, don't use the brake
as much

Good luck
Sboxin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 07:02 PM   #5

Well I guess Pagid it is thanks for the help