Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-03-2007, 10:39 AM   #1

Gutless above 4500rpm

Hi, my friend just bought a 1999 2.5 Boxster and I`m just wondering if it has a problem.

When you accelerate it does not want to pull above 4500rpm. The acceleration completely dies and the revs just creep up. Its pretty good low down and up to this point but drops off when it hits 4500. Does anyone kn ow what could be causing this? Or is it just normal?

BBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 10:46 AM   #2
blkboxster

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBoxster
Hi, my friend just bought a 1999 2.5 Boxster and I`m just wondering if it has a problem.

When you accelerate it does not want to pull above 4500rpm. The acceleration completely dies and the revs just creep up. Its pretty good low down and up to this point but drops off when it hits 4500. Does anyone kn ow what could be causing this? Or is it just normal?
something must be wrong,the cars only good above 4500rpm
Old 04-03-2007, 10:58 AM   #3

Yeah I agree with blkboxster, my car does its best after 4000.
alikhan78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 11:02 AM   #4

Definately a problem! I'm not very technical so I can't help to 'diagnose' the problem, but you should be able to crank the RPM easily to redline in first and second gear. It shouldn't slow down at 4500RPM.

I'm sure some of the more technical forum members will be able to offer some insite regarding the cause.

05 Touareg V8
Black
drburton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 11:16 AM   #5

Could it be the air flow sensor I had a similar problem on a VW and this was the problem. But I just read about the problem with the block on the 1999 I hope its not this???
Old 04-03-2007, 11:18 AM   #6
blkboxster

Quote:
Could it be the air flow sensor I had a similar problem on a VW and this was the problem. But I just read about the problem with the block on the 1999 I hope its not this???
if its not your car who cares
Old 04-03-2007, 11:25 AM   #7

Because I`m interested (Its how you learn stuff) and trying to find out for her whats up with it, ok with you?
Old 04-03-2007, 11:30 AM   #8

This symptom could be a lot of things. Bad MAF. A fuel line inside the tank could have come loose. Or, it could be something bad inside the engine because 4200 is right where the variocam kicks in...

Tell her to get it into a reputable repair shop asap.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 11:35 AM   #9

Send a message via MSN to CJ_Boxster
Try unplugging the MAF then see if it still has issues with power past 4k rpm. If symptoms disappear, the MAF is the culprit.

Carlos J Cazares

FastForward Performance
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a1...er/newsig1.jpg
CJ_Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 11:36 AM   #10
blkboxster

Quote:
Because I`m interested (Its how you learn stuff) and trying to find out for her whats up with it, ok with you?
um no its not, jk
Old 04-03-2007, 11:40 AM   #11

Hi,

Possible MAF issue, or maybe OČ Sensor. Another culprit could be the Fuel Filter. Depending upon mileage, he's likely due. It may flow enough to satisfy demand under 4500, but not capable of supplying the added fuel required above this mark...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 11:58 AM   #12

Send a message via MSN to CJ_Boxster
Quote:
Originally Posted by blkboxster
um no its not, jk
I know why you pick on me.... LOL jk

Carlos J Cazares

FastForward Performance
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a1...er/newsig1.jpg
CJ_Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 12:04 PM   #13

My '99 had the same problem. I thought it might be the rev limiter kicking in early. I cleaned the MAF and it got better, I replaced the MAF and the problem disappeared completely. Life between 4200 and redline on the 2.5 is heaven!
BoxsterBob - CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 12:07 PM   #14
blkboxster

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ_Boxster
I know why you pick on me.... LOL jk

haha good one man
Old 04-03-2007, 12:10 PM   #15

Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
Quote:
When you accelerate it does not want to pull above 4500rpm. The acceleration completely dies and the revs just creep up.
When you say the "revs just creep up" do you mean that the RPMs continue to rise sharply and at the same time the car's acceleration slows down almost like your putting your foot on the clutch? Could it be a slipping clutch?

Last edited by blinkwatt; 04-03-2007 at 12:14 PM.
blinkwatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 12:32 PM   #16

Cheers guys this is helpful.

Quote:

When you say the "revs just creep up" do you mean that the RPMs continue to rise sharply and at the same time the car's acceleration slows down almost like your putting your foot on the clutch? Could it be a slipping clutch?

It`s definatley not the clutch. the revs and the speed are both increasing just very slowley. To put it in perspective the road I can hit 130mph in my 323 bmw the boxster only just hit 100mph.
Old 04-03-2007, 12:44 PM   #17

I really think you need a more detailed description of the problem for anyone to accurately take a guess on the potential problem.

Is the 'slow creeping' at 4500 RPM happening in low gears too (ie 1st). Or is this just happening when you are in 5th trying to go over 100mph. Which, by the way you shouldn't be doing anyhow unless you are on a track.

05 Touareg V8
Black
drburton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 12:51 PM   #18

It was a private road not the highway!! I said it happens in every gear not just 5th.

To confirm:-

In every gear the acceleration dies off at around 4500rpm. There are no strange noises or anything else untoward that happens just the fact the car will not pull past those revs. If I change to the next gear the car accelerates well again until it hits that same 4500rpm.

Thats it I`ve described it as best as I can.
Old 04-03-2007, 12:55 PM   #19
blkboxster

Quote:
It was a private road not the highway!! I said it happens in every gear not just 5th.

To confirm:-

In every gear the acceleration dies off at around 4500rpm. There are no strange noises or anything else untoward that happens just the fact the car will not pull past those revs. If I change to the next gear the car accelerates well again until it hits that same 4500rpm.

Thats it I`ve described it as best as I can.
ive got the best idea take it to a Porsche service center and then you will know whats wrong with the car
Old 04-03-2007, 01:08 PM   #20

Yeah I think the dealer is going to be the best bet, Just wanted to find out a little bit to try and put her mind at rest.

So thanks for the help everyone I`ll let you know how it goes so if anyone else has a similar problem maybe it will help.

Thanks again