Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-27-2007, 07:13 PM   #1

Rather off topic question on an Audi

This is off topic....but I figure some of the gearhead, engineer types here might have some insight on this before I go scour the Audi forums.

My father has a 2000 A6 4.2 (the V8 quattro). 60k and car is in amazing shape. Recently, both the ABS and Brake warnings have been on and off. Flushed the fluid for him, checked the pads and sensors, and everything is fine. So he brings it in for diagnosis, dealer claims

"Code 01203 loss of comm between ABS module and instrument cluster. Need to replace ABS module." Part is $750, and two hours of labor.

Now, if it really is a loss of comm, who is to say the problem lies in the ABS module and not the cluster itself? Or for that matter, could it be something stupid like a cable?

I'd love some insight if anyone has any.

Thanks

Patrick

Cloudsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 11:19 AM   #2

Check the wires

I won't go into all the details but I had similar problems with my A4. The dealer thought it was am ABS module but when they replaced it guess what - they got a loss of comm error. After a lot of head scratching it turned out the real problem was a MOUSE! Chewed wires do create a 'Failure to communicate'!
-Hope this helps-
'77 AW 440 Maico
'08 KTM 450 EXCR
blkflg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 02:37 PM   #3

The ABS modules do fail.... at one time you had to replace the whole assembly with the valve block and everything for a tidy price of 5 grand CDN but now you can just buy the module and solenoid windings as a unit. Hope this helps.

wvicary is offline   Reply With Quote