Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-23-2007, 05:44 PM   #1
c-c

CE light not MAF related = gas cap related

Thought this may be helpful. I recently noticed an intermittant CE light when I filled the tank, went on then off when I reached 1/2 tank. The previous owner must have been tearing their hair out because the plastic is well burned where the CE indicator light come on.

I figured they probably replaced the MAF and couldn't figure out the problem since I got the car really cheap from the dealer. Of course the dealer just shrugged their shoulders.

After a little digging I found that there is a recall on the gas cap so I went to the Porsche dealer, slapped down 18 bucks and guess what. The light went out and 10K miles later I have not had a single problem

Now if only I could figure out whythe psm light comes on sometimes when taking wet corners very sharply.

Hope this helps, if you can tell me about the psm light I would appreciate it.

c-c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 07:05 PM   #2

Hi,

This is a fairly well known issue and Porsche redesigned the Cap from PN# 996.201.241.00 to 996.201.241.01 and for later cars 996.201.241.03 (w/ tether).

Not slamming you for sharing, in fact it's good to revive some of these facts occasionally. Glad it's all worked out...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 07:11 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by c-c
Now if only I could figure out whythe psm light comes on sometimes when taking wet corners very sharply.

Hope this helps, if you can tell me about the psm light I would appreciate it.
I don't have PSM so this is a total shot in the dark, but I've driven a few cars with traction control systems and when the system is activated (because of wheelspin for instance) the light flashes. Could be normal?
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 07:57 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam
I don't have PSM so this is a total shot in the dark, but I've driven a few cars with traction control systems and when the system is activated (because of wheelspin for instance) the light flashes. Could be normal?
Hi,

Ding...Ding...Ding... we have a Winner!! You're experiencing some slight wheel spin, perhaps too little for you to notice before the PSM activates and Reels it back in...

MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 07:34 PM   #5
c-c

Yeah but mine doesn't go off again until I restart

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNBoxster
Hi,

Ding...Ding...Ding... we have a Winner!! You're experiencing some slight wheel spin, perhaps too little for you to notice before the PSM activates and Reels it back in...

That's what I initially thought, but it happends at slow speeds, and the light doesn't go off until I restart the engine.

If this is by design, seems buggy but I won't worry about it I guess.

c-c is offline   Reply With Quote